A tale that might help others

paddy

Reaction score
Here is a tail that might help others…

My S3 has been doing 130 miles before the orange engine light comes on. I cancelled it a couple of time but 130 miles later it comes on again. The code is the usual vague “rich at tickover”

I checked all the obvious like the maff and air leaks but nothing out of place so booked it in to Audi.

Of course, they insist on charging £90 just to download the fault code again and they were pleased to say…You have fuel in your oil, nothing to worry about, this is due to short journeys, we will do an oil change. Well I don’t do particularly short journeys and if I did I would expect a £30k+ car to be able to cope with that anyway.

130 miles later the light comes back on,. Thanks Audi..

I cancelled it a couple more times with my VDS but it comes back.

Then a strange thing happened. I tried to fire up my motorcycle but the fuel had gone off over the winter. I drained it out of the bike and looking for somewhere to put it…shoved it in the S3. only about half a gallon but i wanted the can empty so i could get some fresh for the bike.

About 10 miles later , driving along and the fault light went out of its own accord. !! This time It stayed out for 300 miles until shortly after I filled up with shell super when it came on again. I mentioned this as a joke to a mate who is a proper mechanic (Ferrari registered) and he smiled and said just don’t use super unleaded, use the cooking stuff.

Well here I am several thousand miles on running on basic unleaded, no noticeable drop in performance or mileage and the light has stayed off and no the bulb hasn’t blown.. I checked the codes and there is no fault code….problem solved.

Food for thought :)

…You have fuel in your oil, nothing to worry about, this is due to short journeys, we will do an oil change.:) Well I don’t do particularly short journeys and if I did I would expect a £30k+ car to be able to cope with that anyway.
Fuel in your oil is nothing to worry about? I'd be staying away from them in the future.As for why this worked out for you, makes no sense :/

It doesn't seem like the issue has been fixed? The car should run better on premium fuel

Hahaa well in mate, if your happy with that then cant fault you. BUT I did like the part where you looked after the bike more than the S3 lol.

Ahhhh just chuck this gone off fuel in the S3 no worries at all lol, #Nutter