A small project

You also get infotainment can-bus, so if you wanted to retrofit RNS-E or Audi bluetooth etc.

With all these culster swaps you don't have a spare remote key you would sell? I need one for a little project.

Oo thats cool.
Pre-facelist clocks with DIS can do that as well. Doubt in as much detail though.
I'd like RNS-E and bluetooth.

I got a old 2 button key here if you want it, Just cover postage.
The spring is missing, the metal bit where the key goes is broken and the keyring bit is snapped off.
But it has two buttons and electronic bits in side.

****** need the 3 button version. I'm working on the rns-e at the moment, got the BT all sorted just need the rns-e now, then make up a face plate, nice little project for the winter months, will do a project thread once I got the rns.

Digi Clock Cluster = IMMO3

hmmm, immob3 is Clocks and ECU but do they talk to each other?
I wonder if coding the clocks will work. Time to try it.

going to get vcds on it this week and see what happens.

if this works, my refurbished, 100% working, still with 4 years warranty pre-facelift clocks will be for same.

I know from the Golf forums, you can fit an IMMO3 cluster to an IMMO2 car/ECU just fine, but not the other way round.

Thats the implication yes.

You need vagtacho or similar to extract the clusters SKC, then login to the cluster, "learn" the new ECU, and program in the keys.

Buy one ya tight ar$e, only £20!:moa:

I will when I remember. lol
I was hoping someone could be so kind to lend me theres or there was someone local who could do it for me.
But I have to buy something for a 1 time use then so be it...........I also need to buy a laptop for it. lol

I will when I remember. lol
I was hoping someone could be so kind to lend me theres or there was someone local who could do it for me.
But I have to buy something for a 1 time use then so be it...........I also need to buy a laptop for it. lol

Know how u feel, i was forced to do the same to be able to use Vag Com, and you know how tight us Scots are!:)

Thanks to TonyA4 for the oil level sensor and plug.
Going to attach it to the clocks this week and hopefully that will remove the oil sensor error.
Need to work out how to wire it up.

IMAG0712.jpg

Thanks to Der_Techniker for lending me his VAG Tacho Cable.
It works a treat on the original cluster but is unable to connect to the new cluster.
I'm not sure why, I got a copy of the errors on the laptop which i'll transfer to the PC soon as I can.

I've also lost my Exterior temp sensor.
Its not displaying on the original clocks and the new clocks now through up an error. :|
Need to check that out when I get time.

VCDS Lite can communicate with the new cluster. So possible fault with VAG Tacho.

Any one got any ideas why VAG Tacho won't/can't connect to the new cluster?
I understand you'll need the errors for a better idea of the fault, i'll get them up soon as I can.

Are you using "VDO C5 New"

I got VDO new
VDO old
and VDO C5

For the new cluster, I've been using VDO C5.

Connecting VDO C5...
OK
8D0920980J B5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D12
Check for VDO C5 tacho...
Tacho is VDO C5! Try to log in... Please wait!
!!! Access DENIED !!!

Fault codes from VCDS Lite
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
Friday, 28 October 2011, 14:19:22.
Control Module Part Number: 8D0 920 980 J
Component and/or Version: B5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D12
Software Coding: 00440
Work Shop Code: WSC 19411
VCID: 321799CBED21
Additional Info: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX AUZ7Z0Y1725219
3 Faults Found:
00779 - Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01314 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
49-00 - Please Register/Activate
00562 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
30-00 - Please Register/Activate

Last edited:
00779 - Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17): Open or Short to Plus
Possible Symptoms
In the Instrument Cluster you see dashes (---) instead of a temperature
Possible Causes
Wiring between Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17) and Instrument Cluster: Open or Short Circuit
Possible Solutions
Check wiring between Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17) and Instrument Cluster
Check Measuring Block Value

00779 - Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17): Short to Ground
Possible Symptoms
In the Instrument Cluster you see dashes (---) instead of a temperature
Possible Causes
Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17) damaged
Possible Solutions
Check / Replace Outside Air Temperature Sensor (G17)

01314 - Engine Control Module: No Communications
Possible Causes
CAN-Databus Wiring/Connectors from/to Engine Control Module faulty
Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module
Engine Control Module recently flashed or re-mapped
Possible Solutions
Check CAN-Databus Wiring/Connectors from/to Engine Control Module
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Usually Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 125+ show the current Communication Status

01314 - Engine Control Module: Check DTC Memory
Possible Causes
Fault(s) stored in Engine Control Module
Possible Solutions
Check Engine Control Module for Fault Codes
Special Notes
Engine Control Module stored a Code which influences other Control Modules Functionality.
To clear this Fault Code you will need to correct the Problem in the Engine Control Module first.

Nothing listed on Ross-tech for 00562, but a quick google brings this up: Fault code: 00562 - uk-mkivs

Not sure about Vag-Tacho though....

Thanks for that Dan.

I got my battery charged up, drove the car with the PF clocks in, did a full scan, clear all codes and retested.
No error codes and clocks working fine.

I got another issue now, my PF clocks has developed a fault with the DIS and will need sending back for repair.
I'm hoping to get the FL clocks fitted and working so I can still drive the car.

I got a diag guy coming over tomorrow to try and get the SKC code out of the FL clocks for me as I'm unable to do it with VAG Tacho.
This is the decider really, if he can get the code and program my clocks i'll be one happy chappy and the car should drive.
If he can't then I might have to knock this project on the head.
Wish me luck. :)

Aragorn or any one, do you have the pin out for the oil level sensor?

I can look it up, but its just power, ground and signal, and afaik signal simply connects to the old oil temp sensor wire.

Ok so brown is earth, black/red is 12v and originally gets sourced from fuse 5 in the fuse box via pin 8 on the brown plenum connector
signal is red/grey at the sensor goes to pin 9 on said brown connector, then turns purple and goes to pin 15 on the green dash plug.

You really need to get yourself the workshop manual!

Ok so brown is earth, black/red is 12v and originally gets sourced from fuse 5 in the fuse box via pin 8 on the brown plenum connector
signal is red/grey at the sensor goes to pin 9 on said brown connector, then turns purple and goes to pin 15 on the green dash plug.

You really need to get yourself the workshop manual!

I know, I will one day.

You got a electronic or paper version?

Pin code for the new clocks got.
Immob reprogramming next week.
If all goes well I will bodge it in so it works while I send my pre-facelift clocks away for some work.
Once they are back I will send the facelift clocks away for some work and then I can rewire the plugs for the new clocks, adding cables for the doors, bonnet and boot pin switches and the oil level sensor.
The clocks will need changing to auto clocks and removing the disk pad level sensor thing and I'm good to go.

Once all that is in and working I can sell my 100% good reconditions pre-facelift clocks with 60 months warranty (any one?:))

You just need to ground the wire for the pad sensors and the warning will go away :)

True but its just easier and neater to remove it in the clocks.
Less wires, I got loads of the ****** things at the moment.

You don't happen to know which way the door pin switches runs?
Whether its to the back of the car towards the central lock pump or towards the front?

Just coded a spare key.

Crap *** pic but you get the idea.
87ca40b0.jpg

Its easier to do what does not work that I have tested so far.
Rev counter.
I think its all wired up.
Any ideas?

I need to wire up the door pins and oil level sensor.
Quick fault code scan came up with a error of the clocks not being able to talk to the ECU, I assume thats cause it can't talk to mine or I've missed a cable which might also be the same cable that does the rev counter.

Did a segment test and noticed some little symbols on the clock.
What looks like heat, a fan and a radio transmitter?
5cb59da2.jpg

What do they mean?

As you can see from previous pics the DIS is dead really, so the plan is this.
Send the pre-FL clocks away to get fixed, get them back, send the FL clocks away for work, Once the FL clocks are back, wire the plugs and all cables to the FL clocks correctly and OEM styleeeeeee, sell the reconditioned pre-FL clocks and enjoy my new clocks.
I think that works out correctly.

Thats it, i'm off for a drink and some food.

You sure you've wired the tacho up correctly?

I double checked all cables before I refitted them.
I'll double check the cables now.

I really thought this was going to be a right mission to do but its surprisingly easy when you get your head around the wiring.

EDIT:=-
Yup, Blue 11 Pre-FL to Blue 11 FL.

Last edited:
Scott,I know the rev counter worked the last time the car was run,hope thats some use lol

tony

I'm giving this another go this weekend and keep it in for a week or two to test.

My task is to wire up the oil level sensor to stop that error, earth the brake sensor to stop that error, trace the door pin switches to get the doors working on the display and see whats going on with the rev counter.

one thing I've over looked is the fact that mines and auto and the clocks came from a manual. Which means that it does not display the gear selection at the bottom and the foot brake warning on start up. Is this something that needs to be coded to the clocks?
I can't remember see any thing when I coded the key.

Clocks are in and quick drive round the block and they seem to work fine, apart from the above issues.
I'll give it a couple of days and i'll start on the wiring of the other bits.

The oil sensor is wired in and its stopped the oil sensor error but its now erroring about lack of oil.
I've not got under to see if I i'm lucky enough to beable to plug the oil sensor in and walk away, I doubt it very much cause i'm not that lucky and my car is not close enough on the change over for me to be a little bit lucky.
Its all wired up in side the car, so I need to either put up with the constant beeping till I can do the sump or find some where to get it in oil and thats one hell of bodge.
but if it works then its got to be done. just need to think on a way of doing it. plastic bag with oil, in side container and the hole lot strapped together and something. Ideas?

The main thing at the moment is the ******* revs!!

double checked the wiring for the revs and signal.
Blue PN 11 on new and old clocks and thats correct and got connection.
When running PN11 gets signal to the clock.
So its either the clocks are faulty ( I trust Tony, so going to assume they are working) or more than likely is the ECU and clocks are not talking to each other and I need to code them.