A should I buy question....

I

imported_geeWceeS3

Hi,
I have always liked the look of the A8 and the chance to own a 'reasonably' price older model has come up. Its a 97 P plate on at £6500. Its had one owner from new and seems to be in an absolute mint condition. It has 95,000 miles on the clock.
So some advice from you A8 owners would be welcome.
What kind of service costs should be expected for a vehicle this age?
Any major parts about to wear out at 100,000 miles?
Any other advice would be very welcome especially what I should be looking out for when I go for a test drive.
I know the running costs are high, but I would be doing very low mileage in it as it would be my 2nd vehicle.
Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
28v6 said:
...and the 4.2 is more reliable quote "Bombproof and can't be killed"

[/ QUOTE ] You sure?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll hold out till a good 4.2 comes along one day.

Errrrr.....Yes! Why do you ask? The research I've done on these confirms the opinion, and that's a good few owners now that I've asked.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

Hi George,

Oddly enough, there is no "weak" ones. The odd ball one was the 3.7 the others had been tried on other platforms, therefore have a better pedigree, that said though, the 2.8 I believe had Cylinder head issues. The 4.2 alledgedly had it all, reliability, economy, power, toys etc etc, and those that I've spoken to have advised that If it's an A8 I'm really looking for then to go to the 4.2 as it doesn' t have many failures to its name and for the difference in mpg between all then the 4.2 was the one to go for. Don't get me wrong, if you're parting with your machine I'll gladly have a look.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The odd ball one was the 3.7 the others had been tried on other platforms, therefore have a better pedigree

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not sure what you mean? Sorry 4being a bit dim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You mean the 4.2 & 2.8 were used in the A6? There seems 2b plenty more 4.2 with engine woo's than 3.7's, but i guess that this is due to the fewer 3.7's?

You're bang on about getting a 4.2's over the smaller mills though. That extra 100hp vs any fuel saving is well worth it. The Sport's are the best to go for too. The early sport setup is way too stiff though. Unless age has made mine rock-hard!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I thought long and hard many times about selling ours and getting an S. Whats the point, at the time it'd have cost me at least £10k-£15k to swap, I'd have gotten a 110hp and 4wd. That was too much gelt for that. It'd prolly cost me £7k to get into an S now. Mine just coming up for 75K miles and is a known quanity, how often would I use the extra grunt and traction. We did 5k miles last year!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yes, the 4.2 came from the V8 which was a derivitive of the old 100/200 chassis and remained on into the A8. The 2.8 has been around since the last of the Audi 80s, 100s/A6s. The 3.7 is the only odd ball engine that doesn't really have a pedigree to fall back on so is relatively new...

Incidentally, what problems have you heard of the 4.2 other than Autobox problems, I as yet haven't heard of any and as I say, I've talked to a good few owners of the car.... Just interested as you've got me worried now, that there may be problems looming if I buy one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nothing to worry about. there has been the odd failure that has come to light. These cars generally wind up being sorted out.

There was a 4.2 that I think a poster called fencemaster had that wound up a non-runner. Some one bought it and repaired it. we have had a few scares with oil consuption where it has been said new mills are required, but I think thta they're all turn out to be folk putting in fully synth oil instead of semi.

There are no real engine probs at any miles on these, the probs occure on the other stuff. They're fully loaded with stuff to go wrong and it does. Same with Merc'c and Beemers.

Everyone should be sure to check out PaulW's www.audipages.com before looking at any cars.

Check your pm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mine has done 150k with no real problems,front wishbones changed under warranty and i dont know why,apart from the odd electrical problem nothing major.i managed to suck the valve stem seals out of it doing the usual 50 to 90mph point and squirt round the bends and down the short straights in second gear for 10 miles at a time down one of my favorite roads,cost of a full top end set a bit scary but i sorted it out in a weekend,the wife thought i blew it up with how much it smoked.and the odd bit of eletrolysis round the areal.good all round car,we all should have a chrystal ball but in the real world some do have problems most don,t it can happen to any make or model of car