a-pillar exterior rubber trims

gbernard

Reaction score
Hi guys, there are 2 rubber strips mounted externally on the a-pillars on either side of the windscreen, the originals faded very badly, and looked grey and scuffed.

They are easily removable, and I had them replaced with new ones at my first service 2-3 weeks ago.

I washed the car on the 2 days ago angelwax shampoo, and they now look mottled, almost like there was some sort of shipping coating, that has partially peeled off, they also feel rough under the finger tips, not smooth.

Any ideas ? have any of you noticed this ?

no, something else, here are some pics
IMG 0211 Small
IMG 0212 Small
IMG 0210 Small

I've replaced mine too and try to keep everything off them - found that what I was using on the bonnet and windshield to remove fly splat contaminated my originals.

If the same happens to what's on there now I'll probably paint them matt black of course with the appropriate primer leaving the underside and clipping features uncoated.

Reactions: pburv
rob2k68, are they easy to remove ? i am thinking of removing them, and using a scale remover, and if that does not work, going to try lightly using 000 grade steel wool.

Reactions: Rob2k68
rob2k68, are they easy to remove ? i am thinking of removing them, and using a scale remover, and if that does not work, going to try lightly using 000 grade steel wool.

Yes very easy - they are a single piece rubber moulding. Start at the bottom and just pull in the direction 90 degrees from the windshield.

There are spring clips riveted to the A post that grip the rubber.

Reactions: pburv
thanks rob, did you try and clean yours up ? the second "new" set is worse than the "old" set they replaced . . . can't believe it . .

Reactions: Rob2k68
thanks rob, did you try and clean yours up ? the second "new" set is worse than the "old" set they replaced . . . can't believe it . .

No mate I just replaced them then tried a rubber feed to protect them and they went a bit patchy. I'll try and paint them when they begin to annoy me.

Not wishing to hijack the OP's thread but I noticed today that the nearside trim on my car was slightly detached where it meets the bonnet.

On closer inspection it is not the correct fitment for my car as it too long. Took it off and the part number is 8V3854327C so I believe is for the HB. My chassis is 8V5 so whipped off the O/S and sure enough the p/n is 8V5854328

I bought the car in Dec from an Audi dealer so will be back on the phone (again) to them tomorrow to ask why it has the wrong part fitted. I suspect the windscreen was changed before I got it and they damaged the part and fitted the wrong one. Can't imagine it left the factory like this.