A little MAJOR problem!

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hey Guys, I'm having a problem with my S3, the only way to describe it is that the dashboard lights are fukced up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Basically, soon after start up today and driving down the road, the demister light(orange one) on the button started to flash and my DIS was telling me that one of the lights(xenons) had gone aswell even though they were working fine. This was followed by my indicator lights(dash ones) flashing intermittently, and when I did try to indicate to pull over, they were blinking twice as fast!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif After pulling over, I switched the headlights off, but the illumination lights of the dashboard stayed on and was blinking like it was possessed!?!?! I managed to make it home as the engine was working perfectly, and the instruments cluster doesn't seem to be effected, apart from the illumination side of things. The heated seats and wipers worked as normal aswell, so definitely something electrical. Also whilst trying to arm the alarm, when activated, it seems to de-activate itself and unlocks the doors and boot again.

Prior to this happening, I had fitted the Andywac Bose upgrade, and a new wing mirror glass (not OE), but both was working fine the day before, apart from some alternator whine coming from the speakers when the throttle was blipped, so wethere these are connected, or just a coincidence I don't know. I have tried pulling the fuse out for the amp I've installed, but it's still knackered.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? as it looks serious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I have yet to check the fuses as it was too dark.

worth checking the battery too, had a friend with an 4.2 A6 and when his battery was on the way out all sorts of things started to happen, wierd warning lights / sat nav telling him to go the wrong way, and he was told it's because when the car starts to run low on power the power management system routes the power to the most important function at the given time, might be worth checking although yours sounds a bit more exciting.

did a UFO pass over? Apart from a young priest and an old priest, All I can suggest is that you try using VAGcom on the instrument cluster and see if it has logged an error.

Sounds like you might have a bad earth. Or maybe damp in the circuits maybe? Also faulty relay's can make the blinkers flash quicker or slower. Howerver with the other symptoms I think you have got a bad earth.

iirc, the obvious earth point during a AMSS/rear quarter amp install is the one for the rear n/s cluster, might be worth checking all is kosher there.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:
what was is that solved it Jo?

more of a rubbed down panel or a more secure connection?

good to hear things are sorted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I just undid it, and retightened it and problem solved... gonna put a couple of washers on it tomorrow though to make sure, god thing I can still access it with all the panels in place... phew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of interest jojo...

Whereabouts had you grounded-to?

Glad to hear you sorted it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Rob.

Glad you sorted it Joe!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Rob, you have to move these three earthed wires for the Andymac enclosure to fit, it's actually one of the securing threads for the original Bose enclosure thats used for the new earthing point... maybe need to scratch some paint off and add a couple of washers for better contact.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
Rob, you have to move these three earthed wires for the Andymac enclosure to fit, it's actually one of the securing threads for the original Bose enclosure thats used for the new earthing point... maybe need to scratch some paint off and add a couple of washers for better contact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a little post on the inside of the passenger-side rear-quarter, opposite you (just above top-edge level of the sub) as you peer into the cubbyhole?

Without wanting to thread hi-jack (I can feel another of my famously-long posts coming on after I finish writing this), the reason I'm asking is that I got to thinking if you could experience all manner of electrical-weirdness from an upset earth-post, maybe something similar could be at the root cause of my long-running alarm problem. I have a funny feeling it's quite likely that the central locking control unit (IIRC located below the passenger-side rear light-cluster) is grounded on the post my buddy and I used to earth my amp.

I've been playing with it again today (more to follow on another post), and all I've managed to do is convince myself there has to be something trivial at the bottom of it, and I started to think about that earth-post when you banished the electrical gremlins.

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
FactionOne said:
Is this a little post on the inside of the passenger-side rear-quarter, opposite you (just above top-edge level of the sub) as you peer into the cubbyhole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, this is just accesible with the rear quarter panel cover taken off, and the sponge around the seatbelt coil thingy(whatever they are called) removed, so I didn't need to remove any more of the trim.

This effected my alatm too as mentioned above, after activation, the car would just unlock itself??