A great story - good old Audi.

keithinthesouth

Reaction score
Okay, so I am guessing that some people may not see my point here though I'm sure that those how value their motors will. I am also sure that not the only guy has picked up his new Audi - with lots of spec - only to find that it doesn't have a light in the glove box or footwells.

I can recall seeing the interior light option though I never imagined that i could order a £45k A5 Coupe without a light in the glove box, lights in the foot wells, or lights in the doors. I honestly thought that the £150 option would be an LED upgrade to the standard lights.

So yes, I have a mobile wifi network, sat have high, auto dimming main beam, hill assist and 4 wheel drive... but I also have a torch in my glovebox.

I complained and initially I was told by the dealer that the lights couldn't be retro-fitted. Then I found a company in St Albans who does a roaring trade out of just doing this (VW & Audi Retrofit Parts – Vehicle Electrics – Fault Diagnostics | HappyDayz) to Audi's. There's also a couple of guys on here who supply the looms and parts and a guy who fits them.

I complained again - there are some things I expect my car to have as standard: steering wheel (check), seats (check), light in glove box (uncheck). So there started the discussion with my sales guy at the dealer. It was a non-starter - it was my fault for not ticking the box.

I then reached out to Audi UK though this also didn't go well. Everyone I spoke with was surprised and sympathetic, though they all followed the company line. It seemed that no-one could reflect on the fact that this is my 18th Audi and in the absence of standard features my car not the Audi I expected, that is, until I stumbled across an Area Manager... Bless him. He saw reason and like everyone else, was astonished that I could order a car with so much spec and no interior lights. Apparently when dealers spec new cars they often omit this option themselves. He told me that nearly 90% of Audi's don't have this option. I wondered how many people, like me, would think that it is a no-brainer to pay £150 for an interior light pack if they knew that not ticking the option would mean keeping a torch in their glovebox.

So, great news. My man has agreed to re-order a new vehicle and I expect delivery in September. It won't cost me a penny more and I've added electric mirrors too.

He also plans to pass-on my feedback upwards - it seems that Audi Germany have a way of reporting customer feedback like this so that it can influence the standard spec of models of the future. Believe this if you like - I realise that this could be hot air...

So here's the moral folks. Be patient and polite, though escalate your concerns. Behind the guys on the front line who follow policy and procedure is a layer of people who really care about the brand and everything that Audi stands for.

Looking forward to number 19.

Reactions: Nilz and Point_Audi
Glad you got it sorted out in the end.
My 2002 A4 has lights everywhere;
- Doors have puddle lights and side marker lights
- Front and rear foot-well lights
- Door handles illuminated

I remember my dads Audi 80 having an under-bonnet light.

Lol dont think i have a light in the glovebox

Aaron I fitted an aftermarket kit made up with genuine parts by a memeber on the forum "RobinA3" great guy and works perfectly! :)

Reactions: Brennan
Aaron, there's also a guy on here, Nigel, who is linked with Robin - he fits the kit if required.

Reactions: Point_Audi
There are lots of options. DIY with Robin supplying parts or Nigel fitting Robins parts. Essentially you need to fit additional wiring so it's not as straight forward as you'd expect. Also there is the extent of lighting you'd like to fit. You might just want footwell and glovebox lights - a good start - or you're probably missing two lights in each door, a light on each internal door handle, map lights in the rear head lining and even lights on the vent switches. I've seen a corporate in St Albans ask £1000 to retrofit the lot though Robin is definitely a man to ask.

I can't mind how much the kit for the golvebox was Aaron but think £25 from what I can remember!.. If you did decide to get it I don't mind helping you to install if you want its not too bad! :) Definitely a handy mod!

I can't mind how much the kit for the golvebox was Aaron but think £25 from what I can remember!.. If you did decide to get it I don't mind helping you to install if you want its not too bad! :) Definitely a handy mod!

Cheers Shaun, i probably will get it done. I'll have a look at yours at the meet

so have I just read this riight , you are getting a new car because the one you got never had a light in the glove box !! foooookin hell :jump: