A few Questions on A6 2.8 Quattros

andybro

Reaction score
Currently looking around for a 1998 to 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro Avant. I wonder if someone with the knowledge would be able to help. I currently have an old 95 A6 that has done me well, it gives me 32mpg on my run to and from work which is 32 miles each way in all, at least 25 is on the motorway cruising at 80ish. What would you expect a 2.8 to do?

I have a friend that has the tiptonic gearbox in his 2.8 and that seems to have very high gearing in top. I think I will be going manual, so wonder how high the gearing is in top on the manual. My current 2.6 has a fairly low ratio gearbox that gives 80mph at 4000rpm. I'm hoping the 2.8 is longer than that?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers Andy

hi mate i used to own a 2.8 a6 quattro avant it was a fantastic car but used to drink fuel at an alarmig rate which is the only reason i got rid of it i was on first name term with the guy at the petrol station he even invied me to his wedding you can have just as much fun with a smaller engine and you dont wear your pockets out from reaching into them

Make sure you get the later 30v version rather than the old 12v. Don't know when this change happended in the A6 though.

i have a passat 2.8 30v which is identical engine (now swoped it out for a 2.7T) and my 2.8 30v lump was also charged.

as standard I think they are good cars. If youve driven a vr6 then youll prefer this IMO. Charger made it a completely different beast and when driver sensible I could achieve high 30's mpg. Once achieved 42mpg which I was amazed by.

Def only go for the 30v lump but I have to agree the only let down for me was the 5 speed box. shoudl have come from factory as a 6 speed.

I could achieve high 30's mpg. Once achieved 42mpg which I was amazed by.

:wtf:

You won't get anywhere near that on a std engine. Best I could manage in my A4 (same engine) was 32mpg. And that was a 200 mile jaunt down the mway at a little under 60mph all the way.

32mpg from a 2.8....wow my 4.2 is carbon friendly afterall lol