A few question regarding my new car

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
So I picked up my car today and I must say I have fallen in love with it!

Will definitely be posting some pictures when I can but I have two questions so far:

1) I can't seem to locate the trunk opening button

2) How come the white led strip light doesn't light up at the back of the car on the B&O sound system? Only the speakers at the front light up so I wanted to make sure nothing is wrong here.

Last edited:
Just above the number plate, next to the number plate light.

Sorry for not being clear, I meant to ask if there is an interior trunk opening button or does one just open the trunk from the exterior at all time?

There is no interior 'trunk' opening button. Open from the outside only.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
There is no interior 'trunk' opening button. Open from the outside only.

That's what I thought. Pretty useless feature really unless the trunk has a powered closing feature.

Also, is it headlight led strip you're talking about? If it is then they are DRLs and only the front light up.

What model and year of car do you have? My boot opening on MY15 car is from key fob only.
Mine unlocks using the key fob, but I need to use the release button by the number plate light to actually open the boot.

'drummerdimitri' - Which country are you in. I assume that by using the word 'truck' you are in the USA or Canada. If so remember that most of us on this thread have UK spec cars which may well be different to yours.

Mines unlocks from key fob and I can just lift the boot lid as its already released.
Mines unlocks from key fob and I can just lift the boot lid as its already released.
If you just give a quick press on the button 'boot' button on the remote it will just unlock. If you press it for at least one second it will unlock and release the boot lid. If you just use the button to unlock the car itself it will either unlock the doors and boot lid (but not release it) or unlock the drivers door only depending on how you have it set-up.

There is no rear B&O speaker light only the front has the LED strip so you do not have an issue they are all like that.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
You could also press the boot release button on your key fob when inside the car if you wish thinking if you had it set on the MMI that the key fob open only unlocked the drivers door and therefore requires a double press to unlock all doors.

Also the global unlock button by the door interior release handle will do the same job.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 A3 Saloon. Mine opens by a knob on the inside ( left door
panel ), also the outside ( above license plate ) and also on the key fob.

Looks like USA spec cars have an interior button also.

Saloons (all) will release and automatically lift / open fully if you press and hold the middle button on the fob.

Attachments

• 2e622a88541d1c1d0215a1dee2845553.jpg
    2e622a88541d1c1d0215a1dee2845553.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 185
There is no rear B&O speaker light only the front has the LED strip so you do not have an issue they are all like that.

That's a shame seeing that they both have the white plastic strip running across the contour. Would have been way nicer if the back had the lights too!

Reactions: Snibo
Looks like USA spec cars have an interior button also. Saloons will release and automatically open fully if you press and hold the middle button on the fob.

Interesting. I don't see why all A3's wouldn't have a boot opening button in the car's interior.

I guess I could just press the boot open button on the key fob if need be so not a problem.

Looks like USA spec cars have an interior button also.

Saloons (all) will release and automatically lift / open fully if you press and hold the middle button on the fob.
Yes I thought it a little odd when someone said it was in the left-hand door. Makes sense for a LHD car! Perhaps all LHD cars, even European ones have it but just not RHD-UK versions.

That's a shame seeing that they both have the white plastic strip running across the contour. Would have been way nicer if the back had the lights too!

I agree mate - I don't suppose they are the same shape otherwise we'd all be buying fonts to fit in the rear. To be honest theres so much fun to have in the front you won't notice it again :yahoo:

I agree mate - I don't suppose they are the same shape otherwise we'd all be buying fonts to fit in the rear. To be honest theres so much fun to have in the front you won't notice it again :yahoo:

Maybe there will be a retrofit kit in the future but yeah so far so good. The car exceeded my expectations and that's in Eco mode while the engine breaks in! Just have to be really careful with potholes as the 18 inch wheels have barely any sidewall.

Reactions: Rob2k68
That's what I thought. Pretty useless feature really unless the trunk has a powered closing feature.

Powered closing on saloon boots has to be the single most utterly pointless feature I've ever seen on a car. Ever.

The in-laws 5-series has it. Just what on earth? It's a useful feature if you have a hatchback or SUV with a large tailgate but a saloon? Seriously? So, rather than taking literally one second to shut the boot manually, which is not high up nor heavy, you press a button and then wait for at least 5 seconds for the thing to slowly close?

I guess I could just press the boot open button on the key fob if need be so not a problem.

Annoyingly this doesn't work whilst the key is in the ignition. The only times I really want to open the boot remotely is when I'm pulling up to collect someone and want to open the boot for them so they can throw stuff in quickly/easily. In such circumstances the key never leaves the ignition so it doesn't work unless I physically remove it.

In my A4 B8 Saloon I had a button inside that opened the boot. So they can fit it to a RHD car if they wanted to.It probably saved me all of two seconds. The only time it was a real benefit was if I was picking someone up and it was raining I just opened the boot so they could chuck their suitcase in. The benefit was that I didn't get wet...apart from that it's a nice gimmick!

Doesn't the global unlock button beside the interior door release handle unlock the boot too so anyone needing access could do so ?

Doesn't the global unlock button beside the interior door release handle unlock the boot too so anyone needing access could do so ?
It does...what I should have said on the B8 saloon the interior button throws the boot open! So you don't need to use the handle/button on the boot.

I think this is what the OP wants to happen!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Why do you need it to open ?
Perhaps with all the new Driver Assist system on the A3 everyone is getting to lazy to open it themselves. I have a hatchback and I'm also 67 years old and not in the best of health but I can still manage to open mine without any problem.

Reactions: batch and veeeight
Why do you need it to open ?

It's useful on the saloon as you can remotely open the boot and it will actually pop fully open, easing access for someone else whose hands may be tied up with luggage/shopping/etc.

On the hatch it's next to useless as the remote open just makes it pop ajar slightly, you then still have to lift the tailgate open as the gas struts aren't designed to lift it open from the closed position.

The self opening its easier to implement on the design of a saloon using a torsion bar system as an assist directly on the swan neck hinges.

On a hatchback the popular solution is to use powered electronic struts in place of the regular gas strut which are a much larger diameter and would compromise the width of the load space opening.

It's also dangerous having a large tailgate pop open automatically as there's the potential for damage with low ceilings such as in some car parks.

Reactions: veeeight
It's also dangerous having a large tailgate pop open automatically as there's the potential for damage with low ceilings such as in some car parks.
I've had to stick a large foam pad to the inside of my garage door so tha,t when I open my tailgate with the car is in the garage, it does not hit the door, metal to metal.