A Couple Questions About Upgrading Lights on an A3 Saloon

Invicta

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, is it possible to retrofit the LED rear indicators so that they become dynamic? I see no reason why they couldn't since there seems to be many individual LEDs inside plus I've seen adapters for them online. So,

A) Is it possible?
B) Would they need coding or is it just a plug and play deal
C) How do you get to the wiring loom/plug? I've had a little look around and I can't seem to find how to get to it (I found how to get to the half that's part of the boot, but just not the half that's apart of the body.

Also, I've been wanting to change the front indicator bulbs to LED and have a site where to get them however I read somewhere on here (or possibly another Audi forum) that the reflector inside is designed for the OEM halogen bulb and fitting an LED one will cause it to not look right, is this true?

Sorry for the many questions, I've had a look around myself for answers but found no solid, definitive ones.

Thank you.

I purchased facelift tail lights and adapters to get the dynamic indicators. I was told the module on the pfl doesn’t allow the leds to come on/off individually, I’m not 100% though. I also heard as from May 2018, led bulbs in reflector headlights will not pass an MOT. Again, I’m not 100% on this

I was unaware of LED bulbs in front reflector headlights being an MOT issue, and purchased some from T8ups very recently. They look great, easy fit and would recommend. Will deal with any issues with MOT around this time next year when it comes back around.

I purchased facelift tail lights and adapters to get the dynamic indicators. I was told the module on the pfl doesn’t allow the leds to come on/off individually, I’m not 100% though. I also heard as from May 2018, led bulbs in reflector headlights will not pass an MOT. Again, I’m not 100% on this
So how has the facelift indicators and module worked out for you? Have they become dynamic because of the adaptor or have you yet to test it out?

Also, like with silvester_t mentioned, even if it is an MOT fail so long as bright and obvious enough to other road users, look nice and aren't glaring I'll just swap the old ones around when MOT time comes around.

So how has the facelift indicators and module worked out for you? Have they become dynamic because of the adaptor or have you yet to test it out?

Also, like with silvester_t mentioned, even if it is an MOT fail so long as bright and obvious enough to other road users, look nice and aren't glaring I'll just swap the old ones around when MOT time comes around.

Yeah they were fine, worked perfectly every time. I don’t have them anymore as I’m selling the car. With regards to the MOT, it was only something I heard so don’t quote me on it (again!). I do know however, if you put the facelift lights on and don’t change the rear bumper aswell, you will have to get some kind of reflector tape as apparently the facelift lights don’t have them built in, which is why they’re on the facelift bumper.

Yeah they were fine, worked perfectly every time. I don’t have them anymore as I’m selling the car. With regards to the MOT, it was only something I heard so don’t quote me on it (again!). I do know however, if you put the facelift lights on and don’t change the rear bumper aswell, you will have to get some kind of reflector tape as apparently the facelift lights don’t have them built in, which is why they’re on the facelift bumper.
Ah right fair enough, good to know thank you! It's fine if it is the case, if they flag the car up on it then I'll just swap the bulbs there and then for them and just swap them back when I get home. And don't worry, I already have the the LED rear indicators as standard so there is already reflectors at the bottom of the bumper, I simply just want to plug in an adaptor and get me some nice dynamic indicators :) Thanks again!