1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple AC questions

MOA4B9 Apr 6, 2019

1. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S tronic S-line owners group

In the last few days the AC turned on by itself a few times which never happened before. Is it suppose to happen in certain circumstances?
    The other question is how to clean stinky AC. Is it something I can do myself or does it need to be serviced?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

It will annoyingly activate itself with changing drive profiles (I.e between eco / comfort etc.) No way to disable that, other than learning to check and rectify!
    My AC is on all times but switches between eco and normal depending on drive profile selection.

As for smell, I bought one to use for the wife’s old car but did not get around to it. You can get A/C cleaners which you leave in the car on recirculation. Might be worth a try?

4. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S tronic S-line owners group

I did play with the profiles yesterday so that's probably why but I don't think I changed them on the other occasions. 99% of the time I use economy profile. Occasionally even the strength of the fans also will increase by itself.
    I hardly ever use AC but when it comes on it stinks really bad for few minutes. I do try to switch it off like 15 minutes before getting out of the car to allow the moisture to dry off but doesn't seem to make much difference. So the cleaner you bought wasn't used to spray any components of the AC but an air freshener you just leave inside the cabin?

5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

6. Richard46

Richard46 Active Member TFSI Owners Group

Perhaps the smell is related to the fact that the AC is not used very often?

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Most definitely, climate should be left switched on auto all the time. If it isn't used often enough then the seals can dry out...

8. ub7rm

ub7rm Active Member Team Ibis Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group

As above, false economy to have the AC off IMO. It doesn't add that much to the fuel economy and you ward off expensive and uncomfortable problems such as this.

cuke2u likes this.