A/C

alexmarin

Reaction score
So I realised that my A/C isn't blowing out the cold air that I'd like for the 30º+ weather and took it to a garage on Sat to get it checked out. I didn't have much time to look around and these guys were going to do it within the next 2 hours. Used to take my previous car there but I always had a feeling they were telling me that I needed to do stuff I didn't need to just to make some extra cash but anyways even though it looks like a nice place and it's connected to a BP station.

So I thought that a simple top-up would do, it's the first time I ever had to do it so I didn't know much about it. They said it would cost £65+VAT however they have to do a check first to see if there are any leaks, which would cost an extra £25. So at this point I'm already skeptical but I go with it.

10 minutes later he comes back to me and says he cannot do it as my model has a new A/C thing and his machine isn't compatible. Apparently this is also quite rare and harder to find a place with it, but he recommended I go to this other garage down the road and he thinks they have it there, but it would cost roughly £160. I left it for another day, but did have to drive for roughly 2 hours with windows down as the A/C would sometime blow out warm air.

Now I'm expecting to have to pay £160 for an A/C top-up, unless I'm missing something?

Can anyone advise or have any info before I look around? I'm based in Dagenham.

Groupon have a deal on at the minute with ATS - a re gas for £30.
I got mine done the other day they checked for leaks and did it within an hour works brilliant now.

ATS are a very good company (Nationwide) so I would assume that they have the equipment for all vehicles.
Here's the link
Air-Conditioning Recharge with Optional Antibacterial Treatment at ATS Euromaster, Nationwide (Up to 40% Off)

Reactions: alexmarin
Groupon have a deal on at the minute with ATS - a re gas for £30.
I got mine done the other day they checked for leaks and did it within an hour works brilliant now.

ATS are a very good company (Nationwide) so I would assume that they have the equipment for all vehicles.
Here's the link
Air-Conditioning Recharge with Optional Antibacterial Treatment at ATS Euromaster, Nationwide (Up to 40% Off)

Man this is so helpful, thanks a lot!

Reactions: Nathan89
Newer cars have r1234 gas and it’s more expensive than the older r134. I was offered this for £150, air con service not just regas, at a main dealer. £99 for r134. If yours isn’t cold at all then it’s most likely a leak somewhere, most likely condenser.
Normally first part of regas is a vacuum test, if it fails the machine won’t proceed to regassing it.

@AlS3BE yes this is what he tried explaining. Sounds pretty legit, hopefully no leak but it did seem a bit sudden. I've bought that groupon that Nathan suggested and will see what they say.

Thanks for that

Reactions: Nathan89
@AlS3BE yes this is what he tried explaining. Sounds pretty legit, hopefully no leak but it did seem a bit sudden. I've bought that groupon that Nathan suggested and will see what they say.

Thanks for that
If it’s pretty sudden then something given in. I’ve had cars at 10-15 year old that’s never been regassed.
another one to try is the kwik fit one. They used to guarantee a temperature drop and if it doesn’t it’s free. Remember I guy I worked with went to get his regassed knowing it wouldn’t work cause the belt to compressor snapped the day before, they filled it with gas and he got it for free and fitted a new belt the day after.

Reactions: alexmarin and Nathan89

Thanks for that
The guy said to me if they found a leak then they wouldn't continue and I would be refunded.

Hopefully you will be all good mate good luck

Reactions: alexmarin
Fixed. Took it to a local garage, they found a leak, basically a rubber ring somewhere.. total of £170

Gifted my dad the Groupon one whom coincidentally also needed a top-up after we both had to take our cars to the car wash when we met this weekend because on both of our cars there were cat paw prints across the length of the car, even though we live on the opposite sides of London.

Edit: not suggesting that it was the same cat.

Reactions: Nathan89 and AlS3BE