A/C Compressor Broken?

bbb76

Reaction score
Hi,
Car a/c isn't working so had the refrigerant checked and all ok, full and holding pressure. Was suggested the pressure switch might be at fault so tried jumping the connector (2 pin socket) and no change. Both fans come on at low speed when the a/c is turned on in the cabin and the two-pin plug to the compressor is showing 13.4v - 13.6v. I can't get a resistance reading or even continuity from the compressor but I can't be certain the voltmeter is hitting the terminals.

Haven't tried directly connecting the compressor to the battery but as it's getting 13v anyway...
The clutch plate spins freely but isn't engaging. Safe to assume my compressor coil is bust?

It's a Zexel unit and Google suggests they're prone to failure.

Cheers

Disconnect compressor clutch from control circuit and give 12V. Note whether clutch engages.

E-bay pic but same model - stick a couple of jumper wires in the circled connector?
Are the coils diode protected - so if it doesn't work swap the poles at the battery and try again.

Compressor2

If you can wires into that connector, why not check the coil for resistance or maybe O/C - that would save you having an accident with the battery?

Edit:- I know you have already said that you are not sure if you can make good connections into that connector, but if you can't check the resistance then what conclusions are you going to come to if you then apply 12V across them and it does not operate the electro magnetic clutch - still same answer, is it F'd or did I not make contact! Make sure that you are making contact then check resistance.