A bump up my side side 2 hours ago in my Corsa has made me nervous!

brad9753

Reaction score
If I wasn't already nervous enough about getting my ordered A3 SB in September regarding other drivers, I am now!

I was on the way home from the gym today, pulling away from some lights, a car by the side of me goes over the lane line and into mine and gave me a knock. He pulled over and apologised, and no damage on either car, but has just made me even more nervous than I already was.
The various photos and stories on here don't help!

Also nervous about dents caused by opening doors in car parks. My Corsa has a plastic strip around the outside that helps stop dents (not the best thing to look at though), however Audi's don't.....

My plan was to always just park away from main entrances, but this doesn't seem to work it seems having read some stories of k*** heads parking next to your car in an empty car park of hundreds of spaces

Oh to be the only person in the country with a car on the road!

I can see myself driving like a Grandad/Sunday driver in this Audi not getting above 50mph, I really can!

its a car
it will repair.
just drive it enjoy it
hope it dont get dinged.

Reactions: RedDejavu and Daveotto
Yea it will repair, but I'm not rich.... Not poor either, but I don't want constant repair costs to shell out either because of other peoples dumb *** behaviour..

I have the dent guy on speed dial.

If you like your cars, it doesn't matter whether its a Corsa or an Audi, if it gets damaged you'll have to repair it. Best not to think about it too much and just enjoy it.

its a car
it will repair.
just drive it enjoy it
hope it dont get dinged.

philosophical genius my friend.....

i get paranoid too but always worrying takes the enjoyment out of it, this is good advice even if it is hard to accept.

I've chased a van down before that hit me until I was able to pull up alongside him at a junction, bang on his window and made him pull over!

I've got an in car Blackvue camera installed to cover me when I'm parked up. Won't stop them but will hopefully catch who it is.

I've got an in car Blackvue camera installed to cover me when I'm parked up. Won't stop them but will hopefully catch who it is.

Can that capture things happening on the sides as well? eg, someone opens their door into your car while parked

Yeh - but would your insurance company do anything if the actual proof isn't there? What if moret han one person parks next to you in the time you're gone? There's a gap in the market here for cameras that look down the sides of the car :p

Most cameras have an accelerometer that measures G-Force and impact. It's usually pretty sensitive.

I'm sure if somebody whacked the door into the car and it registered then quickly drove off, you would have a better chance of catching them and proving it was them.

Yea it will repair, but I'm not rich.... Not poor either, but I don't want constant repair costs to shell out either because of other peoples dumb *** behaviour..
That's what's insurance is for surely.

Insurance companies will use any excuse they can to bump up premiums, remove no claims etc - it's bad that you have to shell out more for your insurance because of something someone else has done

Reactions: hittchy
I had two non fault accidents within a year. Not an enjoyable experience, but my insurance still went down come renewal time.

Me too - but it all depends on catching the other person. If you can't claim off their insurance, you have to claim off your own, and that affects things.

i know this is slightly off topic, but in terms of car and damage ...

personally i park where there empty spots on either side, which am sure most people in the world do. But also when i park next to a car i also look at what type and condition their car is in, before parking next to them. Also the disadvantages of parking in a spot where boths sides are empty is some idiot can park next to you.

Another thing i learnt in my old, old, car was, if i can squeeze out of a tightly parked spot doesn't mean someone else can, this also applies to people getting in and out of the car. Once in a cinema car park i came back and there was a long scratch all along one side, i think it was accidently tbh, and it was from someone zip as they where trying to get in/out of the car. am a slim build guy so was able to get in and out, but the other person....? you never know.

I also look for child seats. If the car next to me has one, I move. Lost count of the 'nappy brained' imbeciles who just swing open the door as far as they can (usually into the side of yours) just to get their little Chesney or Crystal into the car quicker.

I also look for child seats. If the car next to me has one, I move. Lost count of the 'nappy brained' imbeciles who just swing open the door as far as they can (usually into the side of yours) just to get their little Chesney or Crystal into the car quicker.

Ditto, unless the child seat is on the side that opens away from my space.

I have also been known to pass up a space where both cars either side have drivers doors facing me especially when a 4x4 is one of them.

John.

This is exactly what I do, I will always find myself a nice exec car to park next to knowing he/she will be as careful as me when getting in and out.

This is exactly what I do, I will always find myself a nice exec car to park next to knowing he/she will be as careful as me when getting in and out.

Ditto, also avoid tradesman's vans like the plague and have different rules depending on the type of car park e.g. Station or supermarket

Best spaces for me are at the end of a row of spaces, next to a curb on one side and passenger side of a 4 door highly polished (£30k+ privately owned) new car on the other with no child seats.....

Oh, god. I've definitely got OCD! :wtf:

Reactions: cemerson

Hey! I'll have you know I've been nappy brained for 5 months now! :p

I'm always careful opening car doors but you need a lot of space to get a baby (and seat) in or out. It's impossible in an average size space, even in a small 5 door. We'll try and use 'parent and child' but they are rarely available. Next we'll try and park on the end of a row. Plan C is to park far away and hope the space next to us stays vacant. Plan D is to move the car and then put the little one in, but that requires two adults. Thankfully one of these has always worked so far. If it doesn't though it's not a case of damaging the car beside us. It's physically impossible to get a car seat through the gap.

Slightly older kids are a bit of a different story, which I don't yet have experience of but trust me most parents would like wider spaces just as much as you.

I have never bought into the end of row logic.....too much through traffic and chance of someone misjudging the corner for my liking

I have never bought into the end of row logic.....too much through traffic and chance of someone misjudging the corner for my liking

Ah, yes. But only if there's a kerb/pavement/flower bed there.

Hey! I'll have you know I've been nappy brained for 5 months now! :p

I'm always careful opening car doors but you need a lot of space to get a baby (and seat) in or out. It's impossible in an average size space, even in a small 5 door. We'll try and use 'parent and child' but they are rarely available. Next we'll try and park on the end of a row. Plan C is to park far away and hope the space next to us stays vacant. Plan D is to move the car and then put the little one in, but that requires two adults. Thankfully one of these has always worked so far. If it doesn't though it's not a case of damaging the car beside us. It's physically impossible to get a car seat through the gap.

Slightly older kids are a bit of a different story, which I don't yet have experience of but trust me most parents would like wider spaces just as much as you.

Don't get me wrong, I have a foot in both camps. I have two children, 7 and 2. It gets a little easier but I find myself acting as a doorman to my 7 year old. We have 2 cars so i managed to justify a 3 door which does have the problem of huge door syndrome, but I just open the door let her climb in and get in myself.

Don't get me wrong, I have a foot in both camps. I have two children, 7 and 2. It gets a little easier but I find myself acting as a doorman to my 7 year old. We have 2 cars so i managed to justify a 3 door which does have the problem of huge door syndrome, but I just open the door let her climb in and get in myself.

Been through the nappy brain phase through to late teens and the most dangerous car park ding era has to be between ages of 10 -14, younger and you tend to open the doors and older they start to understand the value and consequences of there actions in between they just charge around