A brief encounter with a 997 Turbo...

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Winding my way back from North to South Wales today the RS3 was doing a fine job of making every brief overtaking opportunity a breeze. Some sort of quick Jag and 2.0 TDi A4 were following my overtaking moves a couple of cars back. I always chuckle at how others get brave once you've made the initial move, still as I was taught by some ex police instructors when overtaking it's always good to have a 'blocker' - by which they mean someone overtaking in front of you and I was firmly in that role today. (Oh and overtaking is still actually legal in this country before anyone gets upset or reads anything in to this story).

Then to my surprise I see headlights in the mirror distinctly catching up at real pace. For every 2 or 3 cars I could pass, this was passing double the number or more. At first I couldn't make out the car at all, initially I thought maybe a police car on a call but as it got closer the unmistakable shape of a 997 Turbo was clear. Off a roundabout the 997 cleared the A4, Jag and 2 cars behind me with ease.

After a short delay at the roundabout the next road exit was clear. Around and off the roundabout I gave the RS3 everything and the 997 was sat an inch from the bumper throughout. Sport and full throttle and not an inch of distance gained, the Jag and game A4 TDi were just dots in the mirror by this point to give some perspective. From plenty of track time I know a faster car and driver so I backed off and let him go at the next opportunity - he wasn't going to be holding me up after all! To my surprise there was a super bike of some kind tucked in right behind him and the two shot past at warp speed.

The 997 sounded like pure thunder, I've driven one on track and it sounded nothing like that. I managed to keep up through the next set of traffic, now following their overtaking moves. The 3 of us were caught behind a slow moving van for a while when finally the road opened to a long straight. The 911 roar was immense as it lit the afterburners and disappeared into the distance, the superbike (sorry no idea what type) attached to it's bumper the whole time. I'm pretty sure I'd pressed Sport and not the weigh anchor button but that is how it felt, RS3 to the boards and it felt as if I was going backwards.

I did finally catch them both briefly again at the next roundabout where our routes diverged. As I pulled alongside in the left hand lane first I got as nice thumbs up from the bike rider then the 997 driver gave a big friendly thumbs up and wave as they went right and I carried straight on at the roundabout, I think about a mile later I could still hear the 911 accelerating. I was truly owned but at the same time this was great fun all the same.

As they saying goes, there is always a bigger fish.

Reactions: S3quatt, BigWillyStyle, JudderMan and 14 others
No matter how fast the car you drive is there will always be someone with something faster, you just dont tend to come across much faster very often when in an RS3 :)

Reactions: quattro81, 45bvtc, KKM and 1 other person
No matter how fast the car you drive is there will always be someone with something faster, you just dont tend to come across much faster very often when in an RS3 :)

You will come across a lot now summers (supposedly) coming...

They have half the amount of wheels, under half the engine size and the riders in the SE are always up for a play :)

Hi Mark,

Did that give you an itch for a remap or an even bigger urge to get the GT-R?

No I'm glad to say I still think the RS3 has more than enough go on the road and I was making plenty of progress as it was, quite fast enough for me on the public road where ultimately sense has to prevail. There wasn't one overtaking situation where I thought what I need is more power. The pace of the 911 was jaw dropping though I have to admit. Do I really need that? No.

I'd love a map for track work though yes indeed. As for the GTR yes one day for sure. When I weigh up all the pros and cons the RS3 still comes out the winner.

Reactions: 45bvtc, wickedstef and CarrG
i'm mapping mine very soon :yum:

Reactions: MBK and Kelza
Those figures make the point and I think it's fair to say the 911 I encountered had probably been tuned, can't know for sure but it didn't have a standard exhaust system which might indicate a spot of tuning!

Funny this.. As I've been debating getting rid of the RS in favour of a 997 turbo or an r8 - don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I've thoroughly fallen out of love (never thought I'd say this!) with audi as a company.. This car has been in their workshop more than my garage, and they've now started talking to me like cr@p. The latest is one of my contis has just fallen apart, big chunks coming off!
Shame, I never thought a beetle with an engine in the wrong place would ever seem more appealing than the RS3 I'd been waiting a decade for audi to finally make:sorry:

I always chuckle at how others get brave once you've made the initial move, still as I was taught by some ex police instructors when overtaking it's always good to have a 'blocker' - by which they mean someone overtaking in front of you and I was firmly in that role today. (Oh and overtaking is still actually legal in this country before anyone gets upset or reads anything in to this story).

Yes I notice this too, but from my part of the country noone has the bottle to go for it.
I like to call a car further up the road a 'spotter' great fun on corners haha.

Sounds like you had a fun day out there though :)

Reactions: quattro81 and MBK
Funny this.. As I've been debating getting rid of the RS in favour of a 997 turbo or an r8 - don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I've thoroughly fallen out of love (never thought I'd say this!) with audi as a company.. This car has been in their workshop more than my garage, and they've now started talking to me like cr@p. The latest is one of my contis has just fallen apart, big chunks coming off!
Shame, I never thought a beetle with an engine in the wrong place would ever seem more appealing than the RS3 I'd been waiting a decade for audi to finally make:sorry:

The RS3 is a great car but if a lightly used 997T is a realistic option for you I can see why you'd be tempted, it is a true icon. The contis well yes I'm afraid they are truly shocking tyres on the RS3. For me it was a case or RS3 or C63AMG, if I was moving up a sector it would be used 997T or nearly new GTR.

Reactions: quattro81
Gtr 550 Nearly new is still a bit costly 50k plus ,ohh no.....

Yeah true i keep looking but i have plans for the rs3 ,i,m sure stage 3 revo is going be quick with wmi :)

Last edited:
Yeah true i keep looking but i have plans for the rs3 ,i,m sure stage 3 revo is going be quick with wmi :)
You know this, Kel.. One of the main reasons I got the rs3 was the immense "tunability" of the 2.5 engine. However with all the reliability issues and recalls, not to mention the couple that have already lunched their engines, I wouldn't be confident of doing it now..? The warranty seems to be one of the few things that's functioning properly and consistently on my car :laugh: and I don't want to lose that!

You could say that ,and i,m sorry to hear about your car ,but look at rabbits car and iknow another rs3 running stage 3 with no issues ...

Well if Audi actually went all out as I'm sure a few of us were expecting, then the RS3 would have been more appealing than a charged beetle (maybe not the GT2/3 varients). Give it at least 400bhp to start off with, drop the haldex for a torsen 4wd (baring in mind this is the first RS car to run Haldex AFAIK) also make it in 3 door - I think they would have then inadvertently made a very good contender against the 997tt.

Oh and just for the record I know two owners who had 996tts that went for a GTR over the 997tt when they both recently upgraded their cars and neither have looked back on the decision.

Give it at least 400bhp to start off with, drop the haldex for a torsen 4wd (baring in mind this is the first RS car to run Haldex AFAIK)

the TTRS have a haldex system :redface: im looking into a haldex gen 4 controller but not sure on it

the TTRS have a haldex system :redface: im looking into a haldex gen 4 controller but not sure on it

Lol...so they do - shows how much interest I have in the TT :p

I'm not knocking Haldex personally - but the general public do....and I'm sure the majority do not even realise the Bugatti Veyron runs with a Haldex controller :) lol

quattro81, mine is in for the brakes change and a front tyres swap to MPSS. They said they would send the Contis back to Audi because they are sure the wear I had was abnormal. Find the forum threads I started, I have put pictures. If you can lift pieces of rubber where the thread pattern meets with the sidewall I suspect we have the same issue, yours being more advanced. They should have warned you about this. My dealership expects Audi to send the tyres to Continental. I hope for a goodwill gesture.

Maybe you wanna try that too...

Reactions: 45bvtc and quattro81
Well if Audi actually went all out as I'm sure a few of us were expecting, then the RS3 would have been more appealing than a charged beetle (maybe not the GT2/3 varients). Give it at least 400bhp to start off with, drop the haldex for a torsen 4wd (baring in mind this is the first RS car to run Haldex AFAIK) also make it in 3 door - I think they would have then inadvertently made a very good contender against the 997tt.

Oh and just for the record I know two owners who had 996tts that went for a GTR over the 997tt when they both recently upgraded their cars and neither have looked back on the decision.
sod the gtr mate .. It's one of the rattliest, worst made rice burners I've been in! Most of the owners here get annoyed with noise from the drivers window on an audi, I dread to think how much a gtr would pi$$ me off! At the end of the day, these cars still have to be driven on the road and need some sort of a nice feel inside, otherwise I'd just get a Radical and be done with it!
also, to be fair to the rs3, if it had all the bits you guys want, it would've been £20k more, which would still make it cheaper than a GTR or 997!

Reactions: 45bvtc and Kelza
I agree about the noise in the GTR and maybe I'm on my own but I love all the clanks, pops and whistles - one of the reasons I didn't buy an Evo 10 was because it felt so refined after the raw and aggressive IX. Now I'm a bit older though I do like the performance of the Evo combined with the ambiance of the Audi interior.

For me it would have to be a GTR for the weekend and a daily driver. Or the other alternative is keep the RS3 for the road and an Atom/extreme Caterfield or Exige for the weekend and track.

sod the gtr mate .. It's one of the rattliest, worst made rice burners I've been in! Most of the owners here get annoyed with noise from the drivers window on an audi, I dread to think how much a gtr would pi$$ me off! At the end of the day, these cars still have to be driven on the road and need some sort of a nice feel inside, otherwise I'd just get a Radical and be done with it!
also, to be fair to the rs3, if it had all the bits you guys want, it would've been £20k more, which would still make it cheaper than a GTR or 997!

See I haven't been in a standard GTR- so personally cannot comment on how it is 'out of the box'...the owners I know get a Y pipe on there and after that you'd struggle to hear a thunderstorm outside :) I understand the finish is obviously not up to German marques standard.....materials feel and look cheaper and the paint finish is crap (hence why the majority of them are now wrapped).

But I suppose it's finding that balance between reliability/performance/quality/price, and to be fair the RS3 is pretty amazing with all of them - some parts more than others mind ;-)

I like you Chris just feel they could have made it that bit more special to give the 911tt/entry level Lambo a run for it's money - but as VAG are connected with those brands, I doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot! lol.

£20k is nothing on top of the list price for RS3 when all you have to do is remind yourself they managed to get rid of those limited edition examples of the Audi A1 Quattro that was around £40k once spec'd for the road! lol

Id love a gtr but for me its has to be the 550 version and at the moment thats not going to happen :(

MY RS3 for me, I think, is just fine...

I'm no longer (but was) into a GTR, other than to play a few days down the A5, etc., the Porsche (again I was) also, whichever variant!

I can park my Audi RS3 downtown and no one knows what it is...

And on the open road, I've found the RS3 can blow the socks off anything that, to date, has come anywhere close: coming back down the A5 (post Ruthin (what a fabulous day!)) showed that, and could be verified by at least one other RS3 owner... sorry!

No, the GTR looks like what is, a fabulous beast!

And a 911: well that's such an amazingly good motor car; but has bad vibes coming out of its tail pipes whether viewing from the front or back... It is NOT an A5 attack animal, as anything you come across (or attacked by, Mark!) gets just oh so defensive i.e., WIDE!

I quite like the subtlety of an 'ordinary' Audi RS3, both in looks and performance; it IS a proper Q-car, and most of you have seen BLUEY already...

In truth, whatever you drive, there will (as Mark says) always be something faster, and especially if it has a blue flashing light attached!

I like the Audi RS3. It's unusual. Most people do not know what lurks beneath the bonnet. Ok, so it has big wheels and silly tyres... hahaha

Enjoy the Audi RS3! It IS a proper Q-car, a FANTASTIC piece of road going machinery!

Eh Mark?

Reactions: wickedstef, T-800, monkeyboy_marcus and 1 other person
Hi john,i love my rs3 more than my girlfreind lol and every time i drive it or look at i,m in love lol but if it just had a bit more power and as said my warranty :(

Reactions: 45bvtc
John you are, as usual, so right!

The RS3 still makes me recalibrate my senses when I get a chance to push on and use the available performance. I'm still shocked by the pick up and way the engine builds speed so quickly. I often find that me and my average driving talent is the limiting factor through the first few sets of bends until I get used to just how much grip is available. Even then on the road sense rather than ultimate grip level comes into play, I'm a bit older and wiser now and think more about what might be around the next corner. On track is the only place I've pushed the grip to the limit to speed and I have the bruises on my left knee (that centre console trim is just in the wrong place for me!) to prove just how hard the RS3 will corner when really pushed on! That is all the sign of a good car to me, when you still feel the performance and have to readjust to it when you get the chance.

The RS3 has no clear rival for all weather on road, practical pace. The Carrera 4S and TTRS lack the practicality, the GTR is more difficult to live with everyday and the 911T I'd want is slightly out of my reach.

I also question if I have the self restraint for something as quick as the GTR, a quick prod of the throttle in that and you are seriously moving!

Reactions: kwistof
The RS3 has no clear rival for all weather on road, practical pace.

When the RS3 was released it had no clear rival....but it could be very interesting if you pulled up next to an A45 AMG....

RS3 will obviously sound a 1000 times better with it's 5 pot - but it would be a very interesting race, and one I'm extremely eager to see.

Reactions: MBK
The funny thing is ,when i was driving back from kendal in my stage 2+ s3 8p3 a gtr wanted to play ,i was taking is easy and he was getting fead up ,i had the missus in the car so i had to behave , the gtr pulls out ,now he pulls by me and the next 2 cars ,but i thought thats slow as hell ,he must had been in a high gear ,when he pulled by me ,with his foot to the floor ,but he was very close to the on coming traffic ... Made me think ,how heavy is the gtr ...

I agree Kwistof, AMG45 v RS3 is going to be an interesting one. My Mrs is quite taken with the AMG so we might end up with both in the garage!

I would do anything for a GTR,997 or an RS3! All fantastice cars.

A guy i know imports Jap cars and is one of the first people i know to get a GTR. It is currently running over 1000bhp and looks the dogs dangleys with a nice bodykit and deep dish rims.

One of the managers from my work has a nice 996 (In blue unfortunately), and i'm jealous everytime i see it.

I dont know anyone with an RS3 but i was parked next to a black one a couple of days ago and really impressed me as ive only seen a few which have driven past.

All stunning!

Reactions: 45bvtc, MBK and monkeyboy_marcus
I agree Kwistof, AMG45 v RS3 is going to be an interesting one. My Mrs is quite taken with the AMG so we might end up with both in the garage!

My god- that would be an epic garage comprising of two ridiculously barmy hatchbacks! Around 700bhp combined in power! haha

If/When you take one on a test drive - I'd be interested in reading a short summary from your own experience as an RS3 owner; mainly because Mercedes keep banging on about how their Haldex in the A45 AMG doesn't behave like a 'normal' Haldex does e.g in VAG products! lol

Reactions: 45bvtc and MBK
Hi john,i love my rs3 more than my girlfreind lol and every time i drive it or look at i,m in love lol but if it just had a bit more power and as said my warranty :(

There are so many ways I'd love to answer this John, but each and every time results in me thinking... I just can't write this...

However, I think I can SAFELY say John: I need to talk to you, to your RS3, and lastly to your girlfriend...

If she's into all of this then she's a "keeper", and there's a few of those attached to RS3 owners...

And you just need to get those lights switched off before 2 o'clock….

Thanks John, if I'm your way I'll contact...

Reactions: Kelza

NO!!! You've gotta go for the AMG45G with RS3 or RS3 with AMG45G now... You/she has said already - EVO through the door and all that....

Hi john ohh i,m now up at 7am to train a guy ,needs must and all that :) :icon_thumright:

My god- that would be an epic garage comprising of two ridiculously barmy hatchbacks! Around 700bhp combined in power! haha

If/When you take one on a test drive - I'd be interested in reading a short summary from your own experience as an RS3 owner; mainly because Mercedes keep banging on about how their Haldex in the A45 AMG doesn't behave like a 'normal' Haldex does e.g in VAG products! lol

We will be test driving the Merc dealer has never left us alone after almost buying the C63! I will do a write up but you know me the only thing I can't promise is that it will be short, I do like my verbiage!!

Reactions: kwistof and Kelza

NO!!! You've gotta go for the AMG45G with RS3 or RS3 with AMG45G now... You/she has said already - EVO through the door and all that....

Yep John, she is set on the AMG and it would be AMG and RS3. If the AMG is quicker I will then have to buy a GTR!!!!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yep John, she is set on the AMG and it would be AMG and RS3. If the AMG is quicker I will then have to buy a GTR!!!!

Unwritten rule of life from a males POV....your partner is NEVER allowed a more powerful/faster car :) lol

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and MBK
Funny thing is my bosses wife has a brabus and he has a a6 3.0 tdi lol she wins ,,,