A bit of a Dilemma

Markey

Reaction score
Right as some of you know i have been having problems with my K04 conversion being seriously under powered.
To help find out what is going on i am taking it to QST to get it on the rollers to get a proper figure.
I’m stuck with my K04 as i do not want to get a bigger turbo at the moment.
So i am thinking of getting some low comp pistons, but i am not sure weather to go for JE ones, of get some original second hand S3 pistons.
Does anyone have any opinions.
I am not sure how easily available second hand S3 pistons are?
I know the normal 1.8t wrist pins are smaller but from what i understand they can just be changed when the new pistons are put in.

My reason for this is so i can run S3 remap power. But i may be taking on more than i realise by swapping them.
Cheers people.

Markey,

I wouldnt bother with the internals. The main reason for the S3's chipped power is the fact that their variant of the K04 cant take much more boost i.e. 1.3-1.4 bar. Your K04 like mine is probably mapped to around the 1.0 bar figure hense the lower power. To get to the 260 mark they maybe a slight issue with fueling i.e. a requirement for a FPR or bigger injectors.

An additional factor with the boost level is that the K04 on the A4 will run too hot with boost levels over 1.2 bar and hense one of the other reasons they dont try to copy a similar map of the S3. Remember the S3's have twin IC's which helps against this problem.

Markey,

What type of boost you running btw?

My thoughts on what you have got fitted already you will be wasting your money on some of the mods you are thinking of. A better rempa with your FMIC should see you prob around 240 ish and 250 if your lucky.

If you want to get any more power out of the K04 you will really be only squezing single figures (i.e. 1-9 bhp) from things like the manifold & injectors etc. The K04 is just too small for big power. I am a little gutted with that though myself, but you just have to accept the fact that you wont get what your looking for with the K04.

For what I guess your thinking of trying i.e. manifold & internals & injectors etc it will cost you anywhere in the region of £2000 +. At the end of that you would have a very smooth and responsive car but wont be likely to break more than 260 in total.

So keep your money and settle for what you have got or go and get a garret kit from APR or someone like that.

Nice on mate that all sounds about right if i want more i will have to wait and get a bigger turbo.
Cheers.