99 A6 Quattro - Not shifting correctly

• Thread starter imported_marti241
  • Start date
I

imported_marti241

So, first of all I wanna say this is a pretty cool site. I've been reading through and there are some pretty solid discussions. Hopefully I can give more than I take away!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifAnyway... on to my first question:

I have a 99 A6 Quattro tiptronic with 63K miles. For a couple thousand miles now I've noticed a very, very slight increase in the transmissions inertial change as it shifted from 3rd to 2nd, and then to 1st while braking. Never really seemed that bad until yesterday when for one reason or another it just didn't want to shift out of 1st gear while it was in normal automatic mode. Flipping into tiptronic mode didn't immediately resolve the issue. I started to slow down and all of the sudden it shifted on it's own. Turned around and headed straight home. The very next time I braked to a stop, it downshifted with a pretty noticable "THUD". Is this something I can address on my own or do I have a trip to the dealership in my future? And if so, does anyone have any ideas on what I should be prepared for???

Also, anyone know where I can get an inexpensive passenger-side airbag replacement? I've gotten an airbag fault where both my dealer and friend are recommending replacement.

VAG-COM:

00589 - Airbag Igniter 1: Passenger Site (N131)
32-10 - Resistance to High - Intermittent

I love these cars, but $900 for a freakin' airbag???? Holy Moses!!! Like a famous rapper once said... "Broke Ain't a state I'm tryin' to go though" : - )

Love this site!!!!

-Chris

One other thing I should mention is that I live on a bear of a hill. My driveway is an inclined concrete switchback and I can hear my tyres sqawk each time I drive up. Could it be related???

-Chris

The new auto boxes are all computer controlled, so if you have VAG-COM you should be able to interrogate the auto-box.

It may be a faulty sensor?
Do you know when last the box was serviced, or perhaps noticed any leaks?

As for the airbag, grit your teeth and put in an original part. try shopping around different audi dealers. In South Africa, i find substantial differences in prices from different audi dealerships.