99 2.8 V6 Quattro Resurrection with future V8 swap planned

grahams81

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I've managed to get my hands on a B5 2.8 30v for the price of nothing.... and it'd be rude to let it sit and rot so i'm taking it on as a new daft project.

The car belonged to my landlady who i've know for the best part of 10 years, i rent a flat off her for work and last year she asked me to move into a annex at her house so she could rent my flat out to some other folks for a few months.
While i was living at her mansion i noticed the B5 sitting there looking unloved and asked her what the deal with the car was.... she explained it was their old family car that has been long since replaced by other Audi's.
So it'd been sitting for about a year then returned to the road for one of her sons to use, he used it for a month then got a company car and it was sitting then for another two years.

She explained that they'd had the car since practically new and didn't want to scrap it, and thought the fact it had been sat meant nobody would buy it without MOT etc

So she offered me it for free if i wanted to return it to its former glory..... a free Audi and at that a nice B5 i'd be stupid not to get it !!
The only problem was the car was down in Somerset and i live in County Durham, a cool 300 miles away.... not having a tower i looked on Shiply for quote to deliver it and it was coming up around £250-£300
While i was looking to buy a tow bar to collect it myself a friend sold a car and delivered it in the south west.... he asked me if i wanted him to pick it up, of course i said yes and i now have the car home.

After a quick look over the car i found it was not great, moss growing out of every seal, so many spiders webs all over it and dust all over it....... it was also a right mess under the bonnet.
After a quick hosing down -

IMG_0530_zpssz70gkq2.jpg

Cosmetic wise it's not too bad, few dents & scratches to deal with but generally good.
The lower door trims have rusted and are just hanging on there, so i'll be trying some cheap eBay replacements, if there no good i'll try and get some genuine ones.

The main issues are a rust spot on the roof, and the front and rear windscreen seals have corroded and split..... again nothing to worry about really -

IMG_0529_zpsqhf5plmx.jpg

IMG_0528_zps5k29ntzd.jpg

Corrosion on the boot -

IMG_0525_zpsofq0mgt2.jpg

Some signs of water ingress in the boot -

IMG_0635_zpsbebtvpox.jpg

Filthy bay after removing some panels -

IMG_0636_zpslv0fk088.jpg

IMG_0637_zpsjkn8d8qi.jpg

IMG_0710_zpsaqqp4xhz.jpg

I decided to get it powered up and check everything for working, so i went to halfords to pick up a cheap battery, they didn't have any stock so had to buy an expensive one, set to work changing the battery -

IMG_0711_zpsn8ld9lju.jpg

Quickly dropped a new battery in (don't worry i'll be removing it again to clean everything up but i was too excited to get it fired up)

IMG_0712_zpsb2kuz8ej.jpg

IMG_0715_zps6vczwqwk.jpg

With a fresh battery on it fired straight up, idles great, AC is blowing cold still.... amazed really.
I took it for a spin down the street and the brakes are terrible, no surprise there mind they are rusty as hell.
But with the engine running i can hear a vacuum leak around the servo booster.... i removed the vac line and checked it for splits etc but unfortunately its ok, so i need to replace the booster.

Lights camera action -

IMG_0713_zpsfvh4dwki.jpg

Fired up :grinning:

IMG_0714_zpsjb7bm7r5.jpg

Unfortunately i have the dead lines in the screen.

I then decided to spend the day washing all the moss of the seals / door shuts etc, after about two hours -

IMG_0723_zpseoyhuy49.jpg

IMG_0722_zpsi6hckbly.jpg

IMG_0719_zps2h8o5uml.jpg

IMG_0725_zpsoy24wuy2.jpg

Still got to clean up the interior and "feed" the leather seats as they are dry and cracking.
All in all i'm over the moon with it.

As soon as i got the car i have been researching into the B5 and come across loads of V8 build threads, so i've put a deposit down on a full S6 4.2 40v engine complete wiring / ECU etc...

Thanks for reading and any comments,

Cheers,

Graham.

Reactions: VAG-Slag
V8 track car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The window "seals" are actually just trims. They should, in theory just pull off, the top ones sit quite snugly round the glass though so it can be a bit tricky.

Looks like a tidy car though, no rust on the front wings where they usually go.

The 40v engine should also, AFAIK, bolt right in using C5 mounts etc. Easier conversion than the older 32v engine.

Thanks guys.... although i've been a bit quiet i've been slowly collecting parts to get cracking on the old girl.

Before i really start on the Audi i wanted to get rid of my previous project (4wd Seat Leon).... last weekend we took it to it's new home for a while.
Been busy preparing the car for its new owner.

Got a bit sad loading it up :cry:

IMG_0916_zpszewzcomw.jpg

My friend has taken the project on so at least i'll see it on the road, and get to give it a go.
The lad who has took the car has a unit which we will both be using - just got the keys, haven't even cleared out the previous owners rubbish -

IMG_0920_zpswc0hm4pb.jpg

Anyway back to the Audi... some parts came in -

Ebay lower side trim, they look quite good.... cost me just shy of £60 delivered... haven't got round to fitting them yet but very well packaged, and look ok -

IMG_0863_zpsgwl4j6u9.jpg

Back view -

IMG_0864_zpshz6xmkwm.jpg

IMG_0865_zpsnbgecw9d.jpg

Got a nice delivery from ECS Tuning in the USA -

IMG_0827_zps1hwno2im.jpg

Nice set of manuals to help me along the way...... the A6 one is more for wiring diagrams & mechanical 4.2 V8 info for when i pick up the S6 engine.
Also got some new clips & screw latch things for the rain tray as a few are missing, oh and a pollen filter -

IMG_0862_zpscb5q29uu.jpg

I managed to find a new Genuine brake booster for sale on Ebay for £100 so bought that too -

IMG_0860_zps6gduhmjb.jpg

IMG_0861_zpsceo4hx53.jpg

I've ordered some new window seals for above the front & back windscreen and some other bits and pieces from my local VW dealer but they haven't come in yet :pensive:

So now i've got a nice empty garage it's time to get cracking on the Audi and get it sorted.

Still need to order a new exhaust - i think i'll just get a eBay stainless one for a S4 (2.5" twin system) that should suffice for the V8 swap.

Brakes still need to be ordered, not quite sure what to order yet i'm still looking into it, something meaty enough to stop it once the V8 is fitted :tongueclosed:

My plans are to get the Engine picked up from Scotland in the next few weeks, then store it and service it / check VVt units, change timing belts etc
I want to get the car on the road with the original V6 running then once i'm happy with the car and have the niggles addressed then swap the engine out.

Hopefully get some graft done next weekend, or at least have a V8 to photo and stare at :laughing:

Cheers for now,

Graham.

The ebay system might sound a bit coarse on the V8, the turbos on the S4 do quite a lot of silencing, and without them it might be a bit OTT. Some folk have tried them on the NA V6's and it was too much.

Reactions: grahams81 and S4_dan
I had a 2.7tt S4 exhaust on my 2.8 v6. As Kev says, it was loud. Not excessive, but loud.

Did sound good though.

Might have a video clip somewhere......

Reactions: grahams81
Was that 4wd Leon on the Edition 38 forums? Shame, at least it'll live on!

The ebay system might sound a bit coarse on the V8, the turbos on the S4 do quite a lot of silencing, and without them it might be a bit OTT. Some folk have tried them on the NA V6's and it was too much.

Thanks for the heads up mate, i suppose the turbo makes a good silencer blocking the exhaust path....... i'm not too fussed if its a bit on the noise side tbh the car will just be for weekends & short blasts, maybe a few track days, i need a new exhaust anyway as the original is blowing quite badly so might just go for a cheap one.

I had a 2.7tt S4 exhaust on my 2.8 v6. As Kev says, it was loud. Not excessive, but loud.

Did sound good though.

Might have a video clip somewhere......

I think that sounds lovely mate, although too loud for a daily.... wouldn't like a long journey in it :grinning:

Was that 4wd Leon on the Edition 38 forums? Shame, at least it'll live on!

Yes mate thats the one, i've just updated my Leon build thread on E38... totally forgot about it as i never used to get email replies.
Like you say it'll live on with a friend and i'll get to see it completed and give it a drive etc.

Engine should be arriving Friday :sunglasses: Fingers crossed

Reactions: Natan and S4_dan
Great thread. :yes:

What's the suspension like? At 180k miles the original dampers will be tired. If you're replacing the arms, worth dropping the lot and fitting Meyle HD.

Back to the brakes, I've got a thread on here somewhere about the rear caliper, as the handbrake mechanism siezes and can be stripped and rebuilt using kit from Bigg Red.

Great thread. :yes:

What's the suspension like? At 180k miles the original dampers will be tired. If you're replacing the arms, worth dropping the lot and fitting Meyle HD.

Back to the brakes, I've got a thread on here somewhere about the rear caliper, as the handbrake mechanism siezes and can be stripped and rebuilt using kit from Bigg Red.

Thanks Mate, the suspension is a bit like Uncle Bucks car.... the suspension is soft as hell.... and i'm guessing all the bushes will be a bit tired, although i haven't had it up on axle stands yet.

I haven't really had a chance, unfortunately got stuck away with work this week so did't have a chance to get the V8 engine delivered but "should" be home next week so it'll be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday.

As for the brakes I emailed a company in the US about a porsche 4 pot front brake upgrade... but they haven't replied.
I'm not sure about the back brakes yet.... i think a vented rear brake set-up would be worthwhile.

I'm guessing Merle HD's are an upgraded version of the stock rubber bushes ?

So this turned up today -

6CDE46AC-574A-4463-9186-841E9459693E_zps1atxdj04.jpg

5972577A-5869-40E8-8E74-5EEFDAEDCA6A_zpsdekkre5a.jpg

Took the wrapping off -

EA9451F7-6846-40C7-977F-8550142909F6_zpsf5djlf76.jpg

2238047D-AF5B-4935-BD59-5147B321056E_zpsvebpykph.jpg

In the box is the engine covers, mounts, subframe, front crossmember, radiators and all sorts of pipes & brackets.

Gonna have to get cracking now !!!

Reactions: spartacus68 and VAG-Slag