98 a8 quattro a.k.a. alumatub With Pics have a few questions too!

Christopher_davis

Quattro! what's that?
Reaction score
I got this car from a farmer about 3 months ago, so far I've changed the timing belt and everything that goes along with that, new plugs, checked coils, new injector o-rings, fixed some vacuum leaks. Cosmetically it's very soled except the headlight housing are cracked, the side marker covers came unglued and the front bumper has a corner missing from where the previous owner hit a racoon.

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_7352.jpg

_MG_7360.jpg

_MG_7362.jpg

_MG_7364.jpg

_MG_7365.jpg

_MG_7373.jpg

_MG_7368.jpg

_MG_7369.jpg

_MG_7372.jpg

My plans for the car are simple:
-clean it up
-drop in filter
-Chip from 034
-keep it maintained
-enjoy it

As you can see the check engine light is on and flashes occasionally at idle and always with any type of load, so as of right now I'm not driving it.

It has a misfire on cylinders 2,3, and 8.
Just Generic cylinder misfire codes
(I really need to VagCom it)

-Injectors test good
-spark plugs are new and all test good (even swapped them around to double check)
-gas is new 94: prob overkill for sure with mild compression (I'll be running 91-92 in it if it ever runs right)
-vacuum leaks are fixed

So this brings us to my engine troubles the cylinders that are misfiring are not getting signal to the coils.

-Upon visual inspection the wiring looks good.
-I see the computer has been replaced for some reason so I'm likely to believe that could be an issue but, definitely could be the source
-when I first got it it was throwing codes and I could read them.
-I pulled the computer out to see if there was a connection problem and to inspect the connectors and now that I've done that it will throw codes but I can't read them
-Now it's throwing codes and I cannot read them, my reader tells me 0-codes

Where do I go from here, I really like the car and don't want to give it up so soon and being that I live in Ohio and travel a lot I really could use the quattro for the winter.

Any help, questions, comments, concerns or advice are greatly appreciated,
Chris

im no expert but i would say change your coil packs, or at least swap them around to see if it misfires on different cylinders first .......