CR K04 Stage 4 Hybrid, comparison to k04

badger5

www.badger5.co.uk
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.badger5.co.uk
Hi
there's a lot of interest in these k04 hybrids.. so to help people visualise whats being talked about I have taken some time to take pictures of on install going on for speedy_steve's S3 which is with me for this upgrade

First of all comparison side by side showing different compressor wheels.. k04 vs billet k06 wheel
k04vshybrid-2.jpg

k04's std comp wheel
k04-comp.jpg

Hybrids billet k06 comp wheel
k04hybrid-comp.jpg

hot sides comparison
k04vshybrid-1.jpg

turbine size comparison, rs6 wheel vs k04 wheel
k04vshybrid-6.jpg

std k04 turbine wheel
k04vshybrid-7.jpg

hybrids larger turbine wheel (RS6)
k04vshybrid-8.jpg

k04vshybrid-9.jpg

Mocked up with PiperWerx 3" downpipe on engine and stock manifold
k04hybrid-mani-downpipe-1.jpg

k04hybrid-mani-downpipe-2.jpg

Essential mods imho are going to include rods, downpipe, fmic, intake to support what this thing is potentially capable of.
Steve's gone for rods which we have fitted (IE rods), FMIC will be required, and mapping to suit to realise its potential.

more when we have buttoned it back together and test driven it and logged what it does
watch this space folks
regards
bill

this is what CR have said in respect comparisons to Turbo Dynamics units

The Stage 1 (MD299) has uprated thrust and K04-024 Compwheel. (eg vauxhall Astra)
The Stage 2 (MD212) Is the above, but also with a cutback to shaft
The Stage 3 (MD364) Has the billett K06 wheel (the one we use) and Cutback to standard shaft
The Stage 4 (MD421) Has the billett K06 wheel and larger shaft.
The stage 4 is the same spec as we are doing for you now....

the one pictured is the stage 4

and for TD's specs and claims - see below reference
Turbo Dynamics
(all exchange prices)
Stage 1 - MD299 - £495+VAT
High flow K06 Compressor wheel, C.N.C. re-profiled compressor housing, 360 degree
thrust bearing, modified watercooled bearing housing, lightening of turbine wheel for
faster ‘spool up’, modified turbine housing, up-rated turbine seals. Other ‘blueprinting’
modifications. APPROX 260-280 BHP Max recommended boost pressure 18-20 PSI

Stage 2 - £550+VAT
MD212 High flow K06 Compressor wheel, C.N.C. re-profiled compressor housing, 360 degree
thrust bearing, modified watercooled bearing housing, cut back turbine blades, lightening
of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified turbine housing, up-rated turbine seals.
Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications. APPROX 280-300 BHP Max recommended boost
pressure 20-22 PSI

Stage 3 - MD364 - £650+VAT
Modified compressor housing inlet, C.N.C re-profiled compressor cover for high flow
compressor, 2283 Spec “Billet Aluminium” Lightweight Compressor Wheel, modified
seal plate, 360 degree thrust bearing, left hand thread turbine wheel with cut back turbine
blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified turbine housing, uprated
turbine seals, up-rated actuator optional. Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications.
APPROX 320-330 BHP Max recommended boost pressure 22-24 PSI

Stage 4 - MD421 - £795+VAT
Modified compressor housing inlet, C.N.C re-profiled compressor cover for high flow
compressor, 2283 Spec “Billet Aluminium” Lightweight Compressor Wheel. modified
seal plate, 360 degree thrust bearing, K04 Large trim left hand thread turbine wheel with
lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, C.N.C. modified turbine housing for
higher flow, up-rated twin turbine seals, 0.8 Bar up-rated actuator. Other ‘blueprinting’
modifications. APPROX 340-360 BHP Max recommended boost pressure 24-26 PSI.

My personal opinion is the power figures claimed by TD are unrealistic, so we will have to see..
A high flow mani such as JBS are shortly making available should make a nice contribution to increased flow.

Last edited:
Interesting

What happens if you just go for a big turbo without the other mods (fmic)

Realistically bill what do you think bhp and torque will be without a high flow manifold like jbs etc?

Bill, are those prices from TD for new units or rebuild and are they up to date? As I've got a spec n price list from them showing stage 1 £935, stage 2 £975, stage 3 £1125, stage 4 £1295 for new units.

Interesting

What happens if you just go for a big turbo without the other mods (fmic)

Would be a waste of time tbh....

Stage 1 remaps already make the IAT's too high for the std SMIC's to cope with...

<tuffty/>

My stage 4 ( so im told it was ) cost me £1100 including vat and postage to a garage i use.
It was a full new unit, not a recon

The turbo Bill is showing is the original turbo from my car (112000 miles) and no cracks, reconditioned by CR with the extra bits. I cant wait to see more on this it is very exciting.

Gonna need a FMIC and a decent map to realise its full potential though Steve....

Until then, you could change your forum name to 'Potentially Speedy Steve' LOL

<tuffty/>

I think bill said £320 inc vat in another thread?
I have these rods in my engine too.

Hi,

I am currently testing one of the CR K04 hybrids on my own TT, & so far it is looking quite promising.

Bill what is the crack pressure set at on the hybrid you have there 1.0bar ?

This is the spec they sent to me.

Modified compressor housing inlet.
C.N.C re-profiled compressor cover for high flow compressor.
K06 billet aluminum lightweight compressor wheel.
Modified seal plate.
360 degree Large Pad uprated thrust bearing.
Left hand thread turbine wheel with cut back turbine blades.
Lightening of turbine wheel.
Modified turbine housing.
Uprated Step-Gap turbine seals.
Uprated 1 bar actuator.
Other blueprinting modifications.
Max recommended boost pressure peak at 27 drop to 23-24PSI

Regards
Morgan

Bill, are those prices from TD for new units or rebuild and are they up to date? As I've got a spec n price list from them showing stage 1 £935, stage 2 £975, stage 3 £1125, stage 4 £1295 for new units.

i dont know.. i just copied/paste of whoever else posted them on here last week

Hi,

I am currently testing one of the CR K04 hybrids on my own TT, & so far it is looking quite promising.

Bill what is the crack pressure set at on the hybrid you have there 1.0bar ?
Regards
Morgan

not 1 bar
that is spike tastic in my experience of hybrids, and very unfriendly to mapping
i have spec'd this one less to CR when they built it up

regards
bill

Look forward to the results of this one guys,I have just sent my turbo off to CR for HYBRIDIZING.

not 1 bar
that is spike tastic in my experience of hybrids, and very unfriendly to mapping
i have spec'd this one less to CR when they built it up

regards
bill

Hi,

Cant say we are experiencing any actual issues in controlling boost spike, but yes a 1bar actuator can make it a little more tricky.

The reason I asked was I could see your actuator is different to what was supplied with mine :)

Regards
Morgan

Hi,

Cant say we are experiencing any actual issues in controlling boost spike, but yes a 1bar actuator can make it a little more tricky.

The reason I asked was I could see your actuator is different to what was supplied with mine :)

Regards
Morgan

on k03/4 hybrids i have done the stiffer actuator has'nt help the control, so i am reluctant to do so on this. we checked a std k04 opening crack pressure earlier and it starts to open just before 5psi, where this new one is near double that.. so i hope its soft enough to make control nice and smooth (unknown map in the car, not my mapping at this time) but enough static pressure so it keeps the thing shut if hotside backpressure becomes an issue

what boost and airflow readings are you seeing with yours?
stock bottom end in it ?

Last edited:
some install pictures of it in place with the now wrapped PipeWerx 3" downpipe
k04-hybrid-dp-installed-1.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-installed-2.jpg

k04-hybrid-dp-installed-3.jpg

116k mile engine.. next to no lip in the bore and factory hone marks still very apparent..
just cleaned up pistons and refit them as they came out. (its not an endless budget)

getting there...

on k03/4 hybrids i have done the stiffer actuator has'nt help the control, so i am reluctant to do so on this. we checked a std k04 opening crack pressure earlier and it starts to open just before 5psi, where this new one is near double that.. so i hope its soft enough to make control nice and smooth (unknown map in the car, not my mapping at this time) but enough static pressure so it keeps the thing shut if hotside backpressure becomes an issue

what boost and airflow readings are you seeing with yours?
stock bottom end in it ?

Hi Bill,

I know exactly where you are coming from in regards the actuator, & yes it does make smooth control more fiddly when it is very stiff. To be honest I was just happy they supplied an actuator that didn&#8217;t need a **** load of pre-load added, to get anywhere near the manufacturers suggested boost pressure like one of the popular hybrids we have seen do.

I am currently correcting a few weak points that have appeared before we can finish the mapping. First my fuel pump started sagging (now replaced), today bigger injectors are going in as I didn&#8217;t like the IDC with a 3bar reg.

So far peak airflow seen ~240g/s (with boost on top not yet where we want it), but DKVS was intervening & starting to close the throttle because of the fuel issues.

It is not a stock bottom end on mine, & I think you are certainly taking the best approach in specifying rods for your build too.

Hopefully by Wednesday/Thursday (don&#8217;t have any free time Monday or Tuesday) I will have tested further & can post some logs, if you are interested.

Exhaust manifold is going to be needed for sure to see full potential, & I am currently toying with just getting a tubular fabricated for now until I see results from the JBS/Ina/034 cast offerings when they are finally available.

Cheers
Morgan

hehe i love all these pics of my engine in bits. Yes bill we will have to sort the map out but i will get hold of a fmic first and i will just take it easy (hum is that possible?)

hehe i love all these pics of my engine in bits. Yes bill we will have to sort the map out but i will get hold of a fmic first and i will just take it easy (hum is that possible?)

Hi,

You could always just go with actuator pressure regulation (N75 disconnected) if Bill finds logged parameters are not ideal with your current mapping, this will get you by in the meantime.

Regards
Morgan

Hi Bill,

I know exactly where you are coming from in regards the actuator, & yes it does make smooth control more fiddly when it is very stiff. To be honest I was just happy they supplied an actuator that didn&#8217;t need a **** load of pre-load added, to get anywhere near the manufacturers suggested boost pressure like one of the popular hybrids we have seen do.

I am currently correcting a few weak points that have appeared before we can finish the mapping. First my fuel pump started sagging (now replaced), today bigger injectors are going in as I didn&#8217;t like the IDC with a 3bar reg.

So far peak airflow seen ~240g/s (with boost on top not yet where we want it), but DKVS was intervening & starting to close the throttle because of the fuel issues.

It is not a stock bottom end on mine, & I think you are certainly taking the best approach in specifying rods for your build too.

Hopefully by Wednesday/Thursday (don&#8217;t have any free time Monday or Tuesday) I will have tested further & can post some logs, if you are interested.

Exhaust manifold is going to be needed for sure to see full potential, & I am currently toying with just getting a tubular fabricated for now until I see results from the JBS/Ina/034 cast offerings when they are finally available.

Cheers
Morgan
thanks for the info.. be interesting to compare notes. very interested in how you find yours.
100% agree on the manifold being a factor in achieving the potential max from these.. I dont personally subscribe to fitting stiffer and stiffer actuators to keep the wastegate from being blown open... thats excessive backpressure, which as we know will go hand in glove with immence egts when pushed. a recipe for failures

be interesting to see who comes out with a manifold first and (if) they prove reliable. the cheap k03 fitment manifolds when used all seem to crack badly.

for speedy steve> your water pump
water-pump-leak.jpg

As i said on the phone Bill if it needs doing do it! I dont have an endless pocket but while your working on it and its easy o do it might aswell get done!

my ibiza also suffers the same thing.. metal impellor pumps dont break up on the impellor, but they do maybe suffer shaft seal issues instead! doh! you cant win.. dammit

Swings and roundabouts. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

I've only just spotted this thread guys, looks like it's coming along nicely indeed! I'm very much looking forward to seeing the logs from this upon completion. If this produces good results I may well go the same route myself.

So far peak airflow seen ~240g/s (with boost on top not yet where we want it)

Based on my current issue with the K04 turbo not producing enough pressure against the large port head, 240 G/S sounds nice.... :) I'm stuck now at a measly 212 g/s. :(

I did my front mount myself inside of £225.... It doesn't have to be an expensive job.

Have just been through Tuffty's FMIC build thread and ordered all the hoses and clamps for 104 pounds. Just waiting to hear back about the cooler

Yes sir AH Fabrication have not had an email back yet but if not heard anything by tomorrow will call him

I think I need to have a word with Alex about some commission LOL

<tuffty/>

I think you better i am about to put an order in for one after speaking with you.

Superb thread badger really looking forward to how this comes together.

How you getting on Bill?
Also how do you rate CR Turbos, are they reliable and up to spec as TD?

CR are ok.. not perfect but then so few are.
I have no personal experience of TD, but the specs look to be the same for the k04 stage 4 hybrid.. I have heard of failures of a "branded" MD421, where a comp wheel blade sheared off, but I know that branded unit was run in excess of 2bar which is beyond what TD themselves rate it to..

If I get to map this one, I will aim to map it to a sustained 1.5bar, with a potential 1.7bar initial spool - we will see how things pan out.

Mark is the guy at CR I talk to.. he's pretty helpfull and enthusiastic

regards
bill