911 Turbo (997) or RS3

D0C

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you had the chance to get into a 997 turbo for a great price, knowing the owner etc and history of the car, would you go for that or an RS3?

To me the pros and cons are:

911 Turbo pros - looks, badge, heritage, performance (at higher speeds), great residuals
Cons - running costs, age, old auto box

RS3 - performance (better from a launch), new car tech, warranty, DSG
Cons - 'just an Audi' relative to a Porsche, residuals (again relative to the Porsche), looks (IMO relative to the Porsche!), albeit still a good looking car.

Keen to hear your thoughts. This particular Turbo is immaculate in black and stunning in the flesh...

To me an "old" 911T is not an everyday car though so for me it depends if you need a daily or not. 911 won't lose money in fact will probably keep rising. RS3 arguably better sounding too of course :tonguewink:

TX.

Reactions: DW81
To me an "old" 911T is not an everyday car though so for me it depends if you need a daily or not. 911 won't lose money in fact will probably keep rising. RS3 arguably better sounding too of course :tonguewink:

TX.
Yes, RS3 does sound better. It would be a daily, I do 10k miles per year so not overly excessive.

997's are a fantastic piece of kit. One of my work colleagues has one, and uses it daily with no issues. I have personally never driven one, mind...

Only you can decide if the pro's outweigh the con's. Sure you may well now the history of the car etc, but for sure any repair is going to be big bucks. The fact that you're asking for opinions means your heart is wanting the Porsche... If (and it's highly unlikely!) I was in the same predicament, I would be taking a long hard look at all the elements that need to be looked at for owning that Turbo.

It may be the one and only chance you get to do it...

Hypothetically, if you had the chance to get into a 997 turbo for a great price, knowing the owner etc and history of the car, would you go for that or an RS3?

To me the pros and cons are:

911 Turbo pros - looks, badge, heritage, performance (at higher speeds), great residuals
Cons - running costs, age, old auto box

RS3 - performance (better from a launch), new car tech, warranty, DSG
Cons - 'just an Audi' relative to a Porsche, residuals (again relative to the Porsche), looks (IMO relative to the Porsche!), albeit still a good looking car.

Keen to hear your thoughts. This particular Turbo is immaculate in black and stunning in the flesh...

Comparing apples to pears.

Bear in mind that most of my comments on the 911 are on the fact i have never driven one - sat in a few and some friends colleagues have commented on them. I did have the same dilemma but for me it was easier as i needed 4 seats which rules out almost all exotic cars, the only way i get one is if i have another car as a daily driver - didnt see the point and went for the rs3 which ticks most requirements - just a slight compromise on the cost/price, specialness - i can live with that

RS3 pros
imo by far the best daily driver on the market - just ignore the cost
Nice looking motor - especially the saloon
Limited edition
Fast in a straight line, good in corners
Keeps its value and currently shouldnt lose much, if any. But soon, and unlike the porsche, itll go down a little

RS3 Cons
Not cheap
Its very nice but doesnt look mega special / massively different to an Sline A3 or S3

911 pros
Looks special
More exclusive brand than Audi
Great drivers cars
Fast in a straight line and brilliant in corners (though latter depends on how old the 911 is as pre-90s ones were a handful to drive)
High residuals - old ones going up in value - my detailer has a 30 year old porsche that is worth £60K+ and its going up. You shouldnt lose money

911 cons
No limited edition
Costly to buy
Very costly to run
Presume no warranty
Old tech
Not new
Marmite looks
2 seats
limited luggage space
Dont like the dash or interior of the 911 (not a patch on newer porsches like the new panamera)

Me? Id go for the RS3 as i prefer new stuff and need a proper daily driver with 4 seats for the family. Also, the fear factor of maintenance for something old and expensive like a porsche is quite scary.

However, a porsche or something exotic for weekends would be nice. Cant you just buy both, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3 and D0C
You have to go for the Porsche, at least try it for a year or so and then sell it what you paid and get an RS3 after!

My wife had the 996 - not turbo though - and it was a lovely car. The 997 is much the same but with more electronics and it is the car that finally brought turbos out of their bad lag reputation. I pesume the turbo model has the tiptonic box? If so, then buy it just to use the box! The best thing over the 996 is that at least from the front they chasngrd thr lights on the Boxster, so that the 911 at least looked different! This was always my gripe with Porsche - by making the Boxster too similar to the 911 (not your problem with the turbo tho!)

Yep, you hav n o choiuce! The 997!

(sorry if any bad typos left, I am in Audi waiting for my car with only my iphone!)

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, DW81 and D0C
I agree with royalsteve68. In all honesty after having owned a number of high performance cars over the years the RS3 provides all of the performance anyone should ever need ( in this country at least) and makes the perfect daily driver. In my view the only advantage the Porsche has over the Rs3 is status, but it's a great car that I am sure you would enjoy.

As I own a rs3 I would get the Porsche. Like Hal says have it for a while if you don’t like it sell it. A friend of mine as a 2007 right and drive manual version and it’s made over £7000 in the past couple of years, good investment.

Ok Having had both and used everyday not tucked up in the garage heres my input. I had a 2010 Gen 2 Turbo in black. Bought it new. Loved it every time I looked at it let alone got in it . Took it down through Europe, Autobahn , Alps, Stelvio , Italian Lakes, didn't miss a beat epic trip. See pics for dirty shot at stelvio. Thing is its a great tourer for that kind of trip. As a daily i had a 5 mile commute and for weekends it was to much. Lots of envy frightened to leave it anywhere not great visibility for driving in London , etc . Its a super car but it needs proper roads unless its just a posing machine which for me it wasn't. I wanted a 4wd performance vehicle that i could use every day. The gen two with PDK had a number of other enhancements over the gen1, u want the gen 2 if u do get one. Its old tech now , in comparison with 2017 RS3 its properly ancient, the sat nav and media really date it. The value argument? Im not so sure you will see a repeat of the rally in prices we saw for the last of the air cooled 993's.
Prob hold value better than the 996 but thats not your reason for buying it i guess.
The RS3 is a more engaging drive , because it can be driven hard on UK roads, its more up to date has better performance and is a great all round package. Do i get the same feeling when i open the garage and see it no of course not. Am i happier driving the RS3 in the UK yes much better package. Would I sooner be in the Porsche on road trip round Europe yes ......Oh one last thing the transmission even with the PDK is very very dated if your used to more modern cars. I wish Id kept it to look at.Maybe that sums it up. Image2Image1

Reactions: PanamaS3, KKOG, Terminator x and 2 others
Spot on. The benefit of the Rs to me is that it only 'comes alive' in terms of public perception when you are driving it. Parked up on the side of a quiet road and it blends nicely into the background and doesn't get a second look. Looks sporty when people are looking around to see who is trying to get an asbo but a gentle family sedan parked up.

Perfect.

Reactions: DW81, Terminator x and Jonny B
A friend used a C4S as a daily, the maintenance bills on that were extremely high, I would consider that.

If that doesn’t matter to you then I think the Turbo wins for pure theatre.

I had a little dice in France in the summer with a V10 R8 and a 997 911... all I can say is that the V10 R8 impressed, the 911 seemed pretty pathetic, acceleration and cornering... of course it could have been the driver! Pleasant guys who knew the road and speed cameras and a friendly wave when we parted company. So RS3.. much more engaging and practical package... you can have mine for £35k (16000 miles warranty until 2021) Sad to see her go but need more room and one car!

What car next for more space considering you have come from the rs and it’s pace?

I had a little dice in France in the summer with a V10 R8 and a 997 911... all I can say is that the V10 R8 impressed, the 911 seemed pretty pathetic, acceleration and cornering... of course it could have been the driver! Pleasant guys who knew the road and speed cameras and a friendly wave when we parted company. So RS3.. much more engaging and practical package... you can have mine for £35k (16000 miles warranty until 2021) Sad to see her go but need more room and one car!
Already got a stonking RS3! But the 911 turbo looks mega and also has the brand and the badge. Sure I'll end up sticking with the RS3. Perhaps I'll take some brave pills and go stage 2.

Have you received a nice Christmas Card from your Insurance company?

Have you received a nice Christmas Card from your Insurance company?
No, quite the opposite. My renewal quote has come through at nearly twice last years premium... no accidents or points, 10yrs NCD etc. How they make it up, I have no idea. A cursory glance at a few quotes on compare the market and it seems insurance on the RS3 has indeed rocketed. I have no idea how much a remap and intercooler would add...any ideas?

May infuriated camel fleas infest their private areas which prove resistant to treatment.

Reactions: Terminator x
Comparing apples to pears.

Bear in mind that most of my comments on the 911 are on the fact i have never driven one - sat in a few and some friends colleagues have commented on them. I did have the same dilemma but for me it was easier as i needed 4 seats which rules out almost all exotic cars, the only way i get one is if i have another car as a daily driver - didnt see the point and went for the rs3 which ticks most requirements - just a slight compromise on the cost/price, specialness - i can live with that

RS3 pros
imo by far the best daily driver on the market - just ignore the cost
Nice looking motor - especially the saloon
Limited edition
Fast in a straight line, good in corners
Keeps its value and currently shouldnt lose much, if any. But soon, and unlike the porsche, itll go down a little

RS3 Cons
Not cheap
Its very nice but doesnt look mega special / massively different to an Sline A3 or S3

911 pros
Looks special
More exclusive brand than Audi
Great drivers cars
Fast in a straight line and brilliant in corners (though latter depends on how old the 911 is as pre-90s ones were a handful to drive)
High residuals - old ones going up in value - my detailer has a 30 year old porsche that is worth £60K+ and its going up. You shouldnt lose money

911 cons
No limited edition
Costly to buy
Very costly to run
Presume no warranty
Old tech
Not new
Marmite looks
2 seats
limited luggage space
Dont like the dash or interior of the 911 (not a patch on newer porsches like the new panamera)

Me? Id go for the RS3 as i prefer new stuff and need a proper daily driver with 4 seats for the family. Also, the fear factor of maintenance for something old and expensive like a porsche is quite scary.

However, a porsche or something exotic for weekends would be nice. Cant you just buy both, lol

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok Having had both and used everyday not tucked up in the garage heres my input. I had a 2010 Gen 2 Turbo in black. Bought it new. Loved it every time I looked at it let alone got in it . Took it down through Europe, Autobahn , Alps, Stelvio , Italian Lakes, didn't miss a beat epic trip. See pics for dirty shot at stelvio. Thing is its a great tourer for that kind of trip. As a daily i had a 5 mile commute and for weekends it was to much. Lots of envy frightened to leave it anywhere not great visibility for driving in London , etc . Its a super car but it needs proper roads unless its just a posing machine which for me it wasn't. I wanted a 4wd performance vehicle that i could use every day. The gen two with PDK had a number of other enhancements over the gen1, u want the gen 2 if u do get one. Its old tech now , in comparison with 2017 RS3 its properly ancient, the sat nav and media really date it. The value argument? Im not so sure you will see a repeat of the rally in prices we saw for the last of the air cooled 993's.
Prob hold value better than the 996 but thats not your reason for buying it i guess.
The RS3 is a more engaging drive , because it can be driven hard on UK roads, its more up to date has better performance and is a great all round package. Do i get the same feeling when i open the garage and see it no of course not. Am i happier driving the RS3 in the UK yes much better package. Would I sooner be in the Porsche on road trip round Europe yes ......Oh one last thing the transmission even with the PDK is very very dated if your used to more modern cars. I wish Id kept it to look at.Maybe that sums it up.View attachment 144218View attachment 144219

and THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd be sticking with RS3 for daily....but if you have a big itch and an opportunity to get in your 'halo car' then go for it....can always sell it and go back to a newer RS3 later

If you have never owned a Porsche then I would consider buying the Turbo and running it for 6 months then sell it on.

I think the RS is definitely the wise choice for a longer term proposition.

If you do not neec practicality then this is not even a close decision for me.
As mentioned in the Alfa QF thread - if given a realistic and affordable opportunity to buy such as car then do it.

If you somehow decided to sell it you'd likely make a chunk of money on the better deprecation and get the RS3 even cheaper...

If you do not neec practicality then this is not even a close decision for me.
As mentioned in the Alfa QF thread - if given a realistic and affordable opportunity to buy such as car then do it.

If you somehow decided to sell it you'd likely make a chunk of money on the better deprecation and get the RS3 even cheaper...
Decision made. Decided to keep the RS3 and to get it mapped. It is now a beast!