911 Cabriolet listed as Coupe!?

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Dad is looking to buy an 03 plate 911 Cabriolet and has found one that he's put down a deposit on at a local independent place. I've been doing some checks on it (he's too trusting) and on several insurance sites and on a history check the car comes back as a 911 Carrera Coupe but its actually a Cabriolet. Any idea why this might be or how I can dig deeper? Tried phoning history check company but they just said that's what must be on log book as their records come from DVLA. Tried phoning DVLA but lines are busy and no option to wait. (They close at 2pm today.)

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but yes I have. That doesn't tell you the model but all other details match up, it only tells you date registered, colour etc.

Ask to see V5 at the dealers, get a quote from your insurance and see what comes up when you give reg no.

Tried asking the dealer if they know anything about it? Or perhaps get in touch with Porsche and ask them for some information on the VIN?

Thanks guys. Yes I have used insurance sites which is how I first noticed it was wrong. My Dad had asked the seller and he just said it must be that the DVLA have it wrong. It has full Porsche service history (allegedly) so a good suggestion to check with them. Thanks.

Reactions: vivalacoulter
Insurers will pull their info from the DVLA. Maybe try an insurer where you can speak to a human being rather than select from a computer.

Feel free to get in touch, tel: 01707 642552

Reactions: Nilz
You can always say you don't know the registration of the vehicle on insurance sites and search for a specific vehicle model manually to get a quote.

Personally I'd give Porsche a call and get them to check against the VIN on the car and make sure it was just a typo error back in 2003 when the first car was registered - and get that confirmed from the DVLA themselves.

I had to do something similar with my S3 as according to the V5, my vehicle type is classed as a 'coupe' and not a 'hatchback'...which does cause some issues when entering my registration.

i wouldnt buy it till its all sorted out
get vin from seller check what V5 says
call porsche
i wouldnt fancy a cab comeing back as a coupe or the next man down the line that buys is gona have the same problems