8Y RS3 Gremlins thread.

Any assistance on this guys

I got into the car this morning and all the settings had changed to default, like it factory reset itself.

The car also doesn’t listen to any voice commands Apple CarPlay or voice commands on steering

Any input would help or will have to book it in
The earlier pre-RS3 cars with earlier software had eSOS TCM unit faults that stopped the microphone working randomly!! I'd have hoped that's not the issue with your car as it was apparently fixed by MY22 when the RS3s started shipping.

Was your car a really early RS3 or is it quite recent?

The earlier pre-RS3 cars with earlier software had eSOS TCM unit faults that stopped the microphone working randomly!! I'd have hoped that's not the issue with your car as it was apparently fixed by MY22 when the RS3s started shipping.

Was your car a really early RS3 or is it quite recent?
My cars a MY23 build and has the wireless charging function.
I can make calls inside via CarPlay but the car won’t listen to any voice commands

Parked car in garage last night, touched rear door handle to lock it and the hatch back opens, it did it twice.

I would like to turn HB to open 'off' from the key but cant find anything in vcds

Parked car in garage last night, touched rear door handle to lock it and the hatch back opens, it did it twice.

I would like to turn HB to open 'off' from the key but cant find anything in vcds

That power tailgate really has it in for you Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The powered tailgate was another nail in the coffin for me choosing a higher spec, with bikes on the roof the rear tyres will contact the hatch. I've done it twice (on the 8v s3), fine when tyres are clean, but post 12hr or 24hr race it's so easy to forget.
So that ruled out the Carbon (spoiler would hit the carriers) and Vorsprung (no rails option).

On to Gremlins, passenger rear left door card is starting to tick. Time to get the felt tape out...

Other than that, the car has behaved electrically for a while which is a surprise.

That power tailgate really has it in for you Mike

Yes and with the seat memory function still doing it's own thing plus the 'App' telling me the car is locked but something 'may' still be open I do wonder if the Pandora is the better of the either 'secure it or sell it' options

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
Got a warning about low coolant and to turn off ignition. Temperature was fine. Checked coolant level once it was cold and it is low. Has anyone else experienced this? Audi told me it was fine but I’m skeptical. I’m gonna top it up and monitor it

Not had any warnings and the coolant is above min level (likely why) but I have noticed a drop in coolant level. I have booked it in for it to be checked out.

Can’t see signs of any leaks from the top but need to have a look underneath…

Yes and with the seat memory function still doing it's own thing plus the 'App' telling me the car is locked but something 'may' still be open I do wonder if the Pandora is the better of the either 'secure it or sell it' options

What would you replace it with though ?

What would you replace it with though ?

Rose tinted glasses says a Golf R, but sitting in one with all the touch screen stuff again would have me right back where I was 18 months ago and wondering why I sold the RS3 :tearsofjoy:
Going all sensible maybe a 340D touring but I dont like the look of the rear and with diesel close to 15-20p dearer than petrol and the BMW devaluing faster than the RS3 maybe not sensible at all
Back to square one then :)

Rose tinted glasses says a Golf R, but sitting in one with all the touch screen stuff again would have me right back where I was 18 months ago and wondering why I sold the RS3 :tearsofjoy:
Going all sensible maybe a 340D touring but I dont like the look of the rear and with diesel close to 15-20p dearer than petrol and the BMW devaluing faster than the RS3 maybe not sensible at all

A friend recently bought a M340i

Loves it.

Can’t see the Golf R doing it for you if the RS3 doesn’t

Reactions: RS03??? and Mike.46
Quick update on the voice commands issue. Cars been in dealers today and they've said it’s a faulty internal mic even tough it works to make calls. New part ordered and will see if it fixes the issue.

Noticed as I brushed against plastic around where the seat belt comes out that the trim wasn’t fully home. Couldn’t sort it…….very negligible but annoyed me. Was in Manchester and popped into the Old Trafford Audi garage. Very nice tech sorted it. Replaced an internal plastic clip with a new metal one. Just struck me on the questionable build quality.

I dont know if its a gremlin or in my head. When i put the rear window heater on dab stops working. When i switch off it works again

Can’t see the Golf R doing it for you if the RS3 doesn’t

After watching a few Golf 8R video's I agree with you, the key that 'unlocked' my RS3 was the ASR valve controller and maybe some ageing of the silencer itself, sounds wonderfull now :)

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, RSt3ve, RS03??? and 2 others
After watching a few Golf 8R video's I agree with you, the key that 'unlocked' my RS3 was the ASR valve controller and maybe some ageing of the silencer itself, sounds wonderfull now :)

Still not as good as a non-OPF car but it’s leaps and bounds better than stock for sure. I definitely enjoy mine more as a result and get some pops and bangs on startup in RS Performance mode sometimes too.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, RSt3ve, Southall87 and 3 others
Doubt BMW will do discounts on them yet but the new M3 Touring looks really nice . . .

Once the supply builds up 10-13–15% at the right time of the month could be achievable.

But as you say BMWs depreciate harder than Audis in general so not all good news.

Still not as good as a non-OPF car but it’s leaps and bounds better than stock for sure. I definitely enjoy mine more as a result and get some pops and bangs on startup in RS Performance mode sometimes too.

How do you start it in rs performance mode?

Reactions: Daggerit
How do you start it in rs performance mode?

Press the start button without your foot on the brake so it turns on the systems, then click the RS button on the steering wheel twice to put it in RS Performance mode. Then just put your foot on the brake and hit the start button again and it’ll fire up in that mode.

Reactions: Terminator x
Not had any warnings and the coolant is above min level (likely why) but I have noticed a drop in coolant level. I have booked it in for it to be checked out.

Can’t see signs of any leaks from the top but need to have a look underneath…

Mine was leaking coolant. Had to have the water pump replaced under warranty.

As others have stated the asr valve controller really does wonders to the car, although IMO you still need to get rid of the cats&opf, once there they will unlock the ECU I’ll do it for sure (have they already ?).
Plus in the beginning there was a talk about turbo flutter (?) that was heard in some reviews and was speculated to be only on demo cars, in the past week I’ve noticed it’s quite noticeable but only on 3rd gear and a tad on 4th (the stututu sound lol), quite nice and quirky haha an open filter would make it AMAZING (but it’s illegal unfortunately in my country and it’s the most common “mod” that cops look for ‍♂️ idk how but dp are less of any issue somehow lol but it might also contribute to the flutter sound)

As others have stated the asr valve controller really does wonders to the car, although IMO you still need to get rid of the cats&opf, once there they will unlock the ECU I’ll do it for sure (have they already ?).
Plus in the beginning there was a talk about turbo flutter (?) that was heard in some reviews and was speculated to be only on demo cars, in the past week I’ve noticed it’s quite noticeable but only on 3rd gear and a tad on 4th (the stututu sound lol), quite nice and quirky haha an open filter would make it AMAZING (but it’s illegal unfortunately in my country and it’s the most common “mod” that cops look for ‍ idk how but dp are less of any issue somehow lol but it might also contribute to the flutter sound)

JB4 gives an uplift in noise as well I’ve noticed.

Plus in the beginning there was a talk about turbo flutter (?) that was heard in some reviews and was speculated to be only on demo cars, in the past week I’ve noticed it’s quite noticeable but only on 3rd gear and a tad on 4th (the stututu sound lol), quite nice and quirky haha an open filter would make it AMAZING (but it’s illegal unfortunately in my country and it’s the most common “mod” that cops look for ‍♂️ idk how but dp are less of any issue somehow lol but it might also contribute to the flutter sound)
I dropped in an aftermarket panel filter and while it's definitely not an open air filter, you can definitely hear more of the turbo so might be a good option if you're trying to keep your car legal.

Reactions: shahaf2911
I think the exhausts louden up a bit as well with time as they gather more carbon deposits on them.

GPF must be a bit hit and miss on getting all the carbon out lol

Also here's a "feature" but this one is working as described;

When you double press the lock button on the key, the car actually is less locked than if you only press it once.

Not sure about the rest of VAG but other manufacturers double hit on the lock within a few seconds normally deadlocks the car!

On the A3 8Y it turns off part of the locking so don't accidentally press it twice!

From the manual;

Safelock1)
The doors can no longer be opened from the in
side. This makes it more difficult to break into
the vehicle ð . The message Be aware of door
safelock or Be aware of door safelock. See own
er's manual appears on the instrument cluster
display when you switch off the ignition as a re
minder that the safelock* mechanism will be ac
tivated.
You must deactivate the safelock mechanism if
you leave people behind in the vehicle.
Deactivating the interior monitor/tow-away
protection and safelock1)
There are various ways to deactivate the interior
monitor/tow-away protection and safelock mech
anism*:

► Press the button on the vehicle key a second
time within 2 seconds. Or:
► Applies to vehicles with convenience key: Touch
the sensor on the door handle a second time
within 2 seconds. Or:
► Turn the emergency key in the door lock to the
lock position a second time within 2 seconds.
Or:
► Applies to vehicles with MMI: On the home
screen, select CAR > Settings & service > Inte
rior monitor.

So pressing the lock button twice quickly actually de-activates the deadlocking system and interior monitor. Bit of a quirk but there you go just learnt that the other day only press the lock key once and don't accidentally double press!!

Reactions: IanL-RS3
Also here's a "feature" but this one is working as described;

When you double press the lock button on the key, the car actually is less locked than if you only press it once.

Not sure about the rest of VAG but other manufacturers double hit on the lock within a few seconds normally deadlocks the car!

On the A3 8Y it turns off part of the locking so don't accidentally press it twice!

From the manual;

Safelock1)
The doors can no longer be opened from the in
side. This makes it more difficult to break into
the vehicle ð . The message Be aware of door
safelock or Be aware of door safelock. See own
er's manual appears on the instrument cluster
display when you switch off the ignition as a re
minder that the safelock* mechanism will be ac
tivated.
You must deactivate the safelock mechanism if
you leave people behind in the vehicle.
Deactivating the interior monitor/tow-away
protection and safelock1)
There are various ways to deactivate the interior
monitor/tow-away protection and safelock mech
anism*:

► Press the button on the vehicle key a second
time within 2 seconds. Or:
► Applies to vehicles with convenience key: Touch
the sensor on the door handle a second time
within 2 seconds. Or:
► Turn the emergency key in the door lock to the
lock position a second time within 2 seconds.
Or:
► Applies to vehicles with MMI: On the home
screen, select CAR > Settings & service > Inte
rior monitor.

So pressing the lock button twice quickly actually de-activates the deadlocking system and interior monitor. Bit of a quirk but there you go just learnt that the other day only press the lock key once and don't accidentally double press!!

That’s always been a feature to turn off interior monitoring since they did away with the button.
The MMi does offer the option as you leave the vehicle now.

Dno if just my car. But the seat doesnt go back and forward. Only goes back and forward when its at a certain height

I think the exhausts louden up a bit as well with time as they gather more carbon deposits on them.

GPF must be a bit hit and miss on getting all the carbon out lol

When I had a custom exhaust done I was told carbon build up does the opposite

When I had a custom exhaust done I was told carbon build up does the opposite

Guy from an exhaust company told me it was the deposits that make the exhausts louder over time!!

One of them must be right lol but I have no idea to be fair!

Dno if just my car. But the seat doesnt go back and forward. Only goes back and forward when its at a certain height

Loose clip connector under the seat get under the seat and push all the connectors in until one clicks back into place - seat will move again!

Water overflow likes to……overflow after filling with screen wash

25a63114779fd94e154e9462a2c767f3.jpg

b528f206614caa862597f83f6356f2b9.jpg

I use the indicator and wiper stalks as a guide. When I first jumped in the car I was convinced the wheel was left hand down a few degrees but now know that this isn't the case.
Yeah I had this a few posts ago and couldn't remember our chat but yeah the wheel when you look at it dead on looks like it's off a few degrees to the left but it's not its just the way the entire dash is slightly angled - I took a picture but it doesn't show it well enough so I'll take another and put it here so anyone wondering if their steering is out can compare it to mine which I think is still straight(ish) lol

1. I get a clunk everytime I reverse up my driveway. Single clunk under the car.

1. How many miles are you on? I had some clunking when reversing on the drive during the first few hundred miles. Now on 5k and nothing since. I posted on here and someone mentioned brakes settling in, which seems to make sense.

#1 - went to start the car in the garage and as soon as I started the car it sounded like a hammer hit underneath the gear selector. Now anytime I start the car and go to put it in reverse or drive it makes an audible clicking sound you hear in and out of the car. Taking it into the dealer on Friday to find out what it is. They say it is not normal.

Had #1 on two occasions. Thought I was imagining it. Has not resulted in any other sounds or issues. You described it perfectly.

I have a feeling all of these could be the same as the noise I have and I'm pretty sure it's the Electronic Parking Brake releasing when the car is at a slight angle/incline so there's pressure against the EPB and disc + the disc & EPB might be slighty bound together and that THUNG noise is the releasing of it.

Thats my best guesstimate anyway!

Morning all, has anybody had any brake issues on the 8Y yet? Since we had the snow / ice last week, braking performance seems very VERY poor.

Theres no noise that I can hear whilst braking and the car feels like its still pulling? almost like the clutch hasn't disengaged fully...?

Guy from an exhaust company told me it was the deposits that make the exhausts louder over time!!

One of them must be right lol but I have no idea to be fair!

Lol it’s probably neither and just an unscientific myth.

Years ago my Audi TTS with DSG used to give a lovely 'pop' when changing gear, and then developed a exhaust rattle, they changed the rear box under warranty and the lovely gearchange 'pop' all but dissapeared for a few thousnd miles

Looks like it’s carried over from the OPF 8V then.
Not great.

Ah didn’t realise it was a fault on the 8v.
From the Audi cam …

8D0EA8D2 22D7 4AA4 887D 42A13FF20610