8Y RS3 Gremlins thread.

I noticed back in February when it was a cold morning the trim below the steering wheel would creak, once the cabin heats up it goes away

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
I noticed back in February when it was a cold morning the trim below the steering wheel would creak, once the cabin heats up it goes away

Mine the trim just below the virtual cockpit creaks over the wrong road surface so similar - doesn’t go away when it’s hot though lol

Also noticed two loose threads on the stitching on the steering wheel, not the end of the world just the QC at Audi seems to be slipping even more.

There were a few other small scuffs in the cabin on delivery on the passenger side which I’d have though no one ever got in?

Oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine the trim just below the virtual cockpit creaks over the wrong road surface so similar - doesn’t go away when it’s hot though lol

Also noticed two loose threads on the stitching on the steering wheel, not the end of the world just the QC at Audi seems to be slipping even more.

There were a few other small scuffs in the cabin on delivery on the passenger side which I’d have though no one ever got in?

Oh well!

On the subject of QC.

I'm not overly bothered but there is a raised dimple on the upper part of the passenger side door card I noticed.

Would have thought they would have seen this.

No squeaks or creaks for me though.

The QC was definitely lacking early on. Hopefully it's improved for the newer orders, however to list what I'd call just plain sloppyness and poor efforts by JCT600 Sheffield:

Roof rail rear sticky pad protruding from under rail - fixed my shoving it in with trim tool
Pips on steering wheel, possibly just defects in material - trimmed with scalpel
Drivers from window seal rolled over where windows meets A pillar gloss trim, not fully home in groove - fixed with blunt picks and hooks
Header tank sensor wire rubbing on bonnet seal - tweaked into position

Other issues just due to modern cars and cheap plastic:

Door card rattles, both passenger side - fixed with felt tape squares to rear
Overhead light trim buzz - work in progress

Free issue from dealer/delivery:

Slight scuff in B pillar interal trim - polished out with PlastX
Washed when they weren't meant to
Wound rear window down with paperwork attached, dragging tape onto foam seal (muppets) - cleaned
Tyre Pressures at 25psi all round
Scratch on triangle trim next to MMI - replaced for £25 of my own money as I didn't want them trashing the car

All in all, none of these have spoilt it for me as they're all fixable with a bit of care and competence. Whether I should have to is another thing but I'd rather sort myself than let a main dealer technician anywhere near it.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and IanL-RS3
On the subject of QC.

I'm not overly bothered but there is a raised dimple on the upper part of the passenger side door card I noticed.

Would have thought they would have seen this.

No squeaks or creaks for me though.

They didnt notice that mine had a carbon dash trim from steering wheel to passenger door

and a silver trim from steering wheel to drivers door
Trim

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: LayZ_Pz, 8YARWY, shahaf2911 and 4 others
They didnt notice that mine had a carbon dash trim from steering wheel to passenger door

and a silver trim from steering wheel to drivers doorView attachment 259110
That made me chuckle, although really it shouldn't have. It's the most ridiculous thing to overlook as it rolled out of the factory!

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Mike.46
Mine still has Memory seat issues with unlocking, it now never moves the seat automatically depending on which key is used (mine or Wifes)
Unless that is I have parked a little too far off the wall in the garage and have moved the seat backwards to make my exit and next entry a littel easier, it then without fail moves it to the correct position automatically as i'm trying to get in the following morning :tearsofjoy:

If I move my car out of the garage with no phone on me, lock the car to attend to things like locking the garage and then return to the car with my phone to make my journey, I’ve noticed that the phone doesn’t automatically connect and I have to do it manually.

If I move my car out of the garage with no phone on me, lock the car to attend to things like locking the garage and then return to the car with my phone to make my journey, I’ve noticed that the phone doesn’t automatically connect and I have to do it manually.
If I am on the (mobile) phone in the house and wifey comes up the road/path my phone connects to the car with everyone saying Hello?

If I am on the (mobile) phone in the house and wifey comes up the road/path my phone connects to the car with everyone saying Hello?

Noticed now the temperature has gone down a bit the panoramic roof has developed a little creak & rattle.

Not a show stopper to be honest.

Also due to the way the dashboard is angled it’s harder to see if the steering wheel is dead centre - feels a bit off but that’s usually just in my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8YARWY
Noticed now the temperature has gone down a bit the panoramic roof has developed a little creak & rattle.

Not a show stopper to be honest.

Also due to the way the dashboard is angled it’s harder to see if the steering wheel is dead centre - feels a bit off but that’s usually just in my head.

I use the indicator and wiper stalks as a guide. When I first jumped in the car I was convinced the wheel was left hand down a few degrees but now know that this isn't the case.

Thats what I thought too glad I wasn’t imagining it!

Think it’s because the dash angles from the MMI out to the door it makes the wheel look off centre to the left when it isn’t in reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSt3ve
Tailgate and roof are really getting into the rattling now we’re at 500 miles.

Anyone had a look at roof or tailgate area rattles and can give me a head start on where it might be?

2 gremlins so far:

1. I get a clunk everytime I reverse up my driveway. Single clunk under the car.
2. MMI keeps changing back to euro settings. Celsius, km etc.

Any ideas?

I had a strange one today never had before on an 8Y!

Was coming to a stop at some traffic lights, car was still moving, engine cuts out for start stop, then when I put my foot onto the accelerator to try and start moving the car splutters and misfires a few times with the accelerator doing very little to nothing then it gives up and I’m just coasting (with the display saying I’m in gear but feels like I’m just freewheeling) anyway I brake to a standstill and a message pops up on the dash that I need to manually restart the car which I did and then it continued as nothing had even happened!

If that had been earlier in the day with more traffic it could have gone differently!

Anyone had that before? Sounded like it wasn’t running on all its cylinders when it tried to restart it and then failed - do you think it did the engine any damage?

Cheers!

I had a strange one today never had before on an 8Y!

Was coming to a stop at some traffic lights, car was still moving, engine cuts out for start stop, then when I put my foot onto the accelerator to try and start moving the car splutters and misfires a few times with the accelerator doing very little to nothing then it gives up and I’m just coasting (with the display saying I’m in gear but feels like I’m just freewheeling) anyway I brake to a standstill and a message pops up on the dash that I need to manually restart the car which I did and then it continued as nothing had even happened!

If that had been earlier in the day with more traffic it could have gone differently!

Anyone had that before? Sounded like it wasn’t running on all its cylinders when it tried to restart it and then failed - do you think it did the engine any damage?

Cheers!

Not on the RS3, had it on wife's manual Focus, the Stop-Start system gets confused when creeping into junctions and want to move again quickly. I tend to disable the Start-Stop system manually on entry into car to avoid this. Wife hates it with a passion.

I’ve already written about my alternator belt being shredded upon delivery in the other thread but thought I’d pull things out of there to ask if anyone with access to the parts database can tell me if the 8V and 8Y alternator belts are the same part number?

@8YARWY ?

I’ve already written about my alternator belt being shredded upon delivery in the other thread but thought I’d pull things out of there to ask if anyone with access to the parts database can tell me if the 8V and 8Y alternator belts are the same part number?

@8YARWY ?

8Y
da99a50e53fe5c111dccfdba981845c1.png

8V
0c6d1d2935f5694c64520f4a33459084.png

Reactions: RS03???, DangerMouseUK and Daggerit
Might just be in my head but twice now I’ve gone over some undulations and I could have sworn I heard whistling type noise coming from the suspension area - I can’t recreate when I went back over the same undulations later.

Is it just in my head? Or have you lot heard the suspension wheezing/whistling

So they're exactly the same, that's really helpful for getting parts in hopefully. Thanks very much for that, it's much appreciated!

Just thank your lucky stars they don’t have to undo the engine mount to fit a new one …..

Reactions: Daggerit
Just thank your lucky stars they don’t have to undo the engine mount to fit a new one …..

I was actually wondering if it would be an engine out job given the lack of room in the bay.

They’ve actually preemptively ordered all the parts they think they’ll need, without even looking at it properly. They’re making an effort, even though they’re not the supplying dealer.

I was actually wondering if it would be an engine out job given the lack of room in the bay.

They’ve actually preemptively ordered all the parts they think they’ll need, without even looking at it properly. They’re making an effort, even though they’re not the supplying dealer.

I think the tensioner is accessible from wheel arch area, so once it’s released it’s just a matter of threading the belt around the pulleys.

It’s not like the water pump replacement where the engine mounts are undone and the engine is rotated slightly upwards.

I think the tensioner is accessible from wheel arch area, so once it’s released it’s just a matter of threading the belt around the pulleys.

It’s not like the water pump replacement where the engine mounts are undone and the engine is rotated slightly upwards.

That’s good to know then. I’m hoping it hasn’t annihilated any sensors on its way out, there was an oil pressure/level sensor error on the dash too so we’ll see. With any luck just a quick belt change.

2 gremlins so far:

1. I get a clunk everytime I reverse up my driveway. Single clunk under the car.
2. MMI keeps changing back to euro settings. Celsius, km etc.

Any ideas?
1. How many miles are you on? I had some clunking when reversing on the drive during the first few hundred miles. Now on 5k and nothing since. I posted on here and someone mentioned brakes settling in, which seems to make sense.

You do have to wonder as to why its shredded in the first place though? modern poly V belts normally last for years?

More than a few years ago (at work on nights) one of the Plant fitters was also trained as fridge enginner and the Shift Managers Rover was in need of a air con recharge, ''How do you now how much your putting in'' I asked seeing the lack of any refrigerent bottle on a scale, cockey tw*t tapped his nose and said''Thats for me to know''
I guess the belt chucking out huge clouds of smoke as it tried to turn the hydraulic locked air con pump was what he meant :)

Last edited:
You do have to wonder as to why its shredded in the first place though? modern poly V belts normally last for years?

More than a few years ago (at work on nights) one of the Plant fitters was also trained as fridge enginner and the Shift Managers Rover was in need of a air con recharge, ''How do you now how much your putting in'' I asked seeing the lack of any refrigerent bottle on a scale, cockey tw*t tapped his nose and said''Thats for me to know''
I guess the belt chucking out huge clouds of smoke as it tried to turn the hydraulic locked air con pump was what he meant :)

Yeah, this was similar to what I said to Audi today. It’s all good replacing the belt, but what caused it in the first place?

I can’t fault my local dealership though, they’ve sorted me out with a car while mine is off the road and ordered the parts they think they might need before they’ve even had the car up on the ramps to save time hopefully.

We’ll see if it helps the timing as she optimistically only put me on the hire car until Friday to start. Haha.

2 gremlins so far:

Any ideas?

The drivetrain of this car is very very clunky anyway just as a warning ….

Could be just a faulty belt, It must happen now and again, either that or something was left in the bay and dropped down getting caught in it and shredding it.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Daggerit
Could be just a faulty belt, It must happen now and again, either that or something was left in the bay and dropped down getting caught in it and shredding it.

Who knows, as long as it gets fixed in a timely manner!

Might just be in my head but twice now I’ve gone over some undulations and I could have sworn I heard whistling type noise coming from the suspension area - I can’t recreate when I went back over the same undulations later.

Is it just in my head? Or have you lot heard the suspension wheezing/whistling

The suspension is noisy over speed bumps and uneven ground, was the same for me in the 8V. I would say it sounds like a release of air.

Strange how it does it sometimes and yeah it’s exactly that a release of air.

Mate of mine said it might be the brakes or the seat if you move in it and some air gets pushed out the other side!

I said I was reasonably sure it sounded like it was coming from the suspension but it does it really rarely and randomly so not so sure now!

Do you know why it makes that air release type sound haven’t had it on another car before!

I had an SLK 300 with a fluffy bit on a drivebelt. from new. It was reportedly hard to access to replace. MB sent out a diminutive lady mechanic. She changed the belt easily as her little tiny hands could get to the belt route.

Strange how it does it sometimes and yeah it’s exactly that a release of air.

Mate of mine said it might be the brakes or the seat if you move in it and some air gets pushed out the other side!

I said I was reasonably sure it sounded like it was coming from the suspension but it does it really rarely and randomly so not so sure now!

Do you know why it makes that air release type sound haven’t had it on another car before!

Windows down over speed humps and it sounds like they're running on air struts. Definitely audible in the cabin under the right scenario too.

Windows down over speed humps and it sounds like they're running on air struts. Definitely audible in the cabin under the right scenario too.

I’d say that’s normal with any car, it’s just the fluid moving through the damper. Every car I’ve ever owned has done exactly the same when you go over a speed bump and if you have a second car to try it with I’d imagine you’d hear almost exactly the same noise.

Reactions: RSt3ve and DangerMouseUK
I’d say that’s normal with any car, it’s just the fluid moving through the damper. Every car I’ve ever owned has done exactly the same when you go over a speed bump and if you have a second car to try it with I’d imagine you’d hear almost exactly the same noise.

Oh yeah its definitely normal, oil makes a distinct noise under pressure through the ports. Sounds just like the forks on my bike when they're working hard, although they make more of a squelch sound.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Daggerit
New gremlin maybe: when I depress the brake pedal I hear an audible sound. It’s not quite a squeak but I can hear it. Close to a squeak. Sometimes it seems normal sometimes it’s annoying. It’s only at the beginning of the brake travel. I’ve been driving a Tesla for 2 years and almost never used the brakes so it’s difficult for me to determine normal or not. Anyone else getting an audible sound depressing the brake ?

New one for me tonight was an entirely black screen on the mmi with just the outlined frame showing.