8Y 35 TDI engine oil and filter change.

BG21

Reaction score
I`ve always changed the oil and filter in between annual services an my previous cars (Vauxhalls) and I`d like to carry on doing the same with my A3.
I`ve seen on the internet that some recent VAG engines have a plastic sump plug requiring a special tool to remove it and oil filters seem to require a special tool/device attaching to part drain the filter bowl before removal.
Have any owners done a DIY oil and filter change yet or are there any Audi Techs. on the forum that can confirm the above please?

helicopter_red

Reaction score
I`ve always changed the oil and filter in between annual services an my previous cars (Vauxhalls) and I`d like to carry on doing the same with my A3.
I`ve seen on the internet that some recent VAG engines have a plastic sump plug requiring a special tool to remove it and oil filters seem to require a special tool/device attaching to part drain the filter bowl before removal.
Have any owners done a DIY oil and filter change yet or are there any Audi Techs. on the forum that can confirm the above please?
I have the same engine as you and was surprised at the service interval especially for the period between New and first service.
Mine is a company car so i wont be touching mine though.
Goodluck with whatever you choose to do.

KXL

Reaction score
Maybe diesels are on long life service intervals? Had a Seat Ibiza petrol on 2 years. Current A3, it's on 1 year, already pinging me that service is due, picked up car in July, but I guess it arrived in UK and serviced in May.

Brian Leslie

Reaction score
Maybe diesels are on long life service intervals? Had a Seat Ibiza petrol on 2 years. Current A3, it's on 1 year, already pinging me that service is due, picked up car in July, but I guess it arrived in UK and serviced in May.
You'll likely be getting that as it will be a year from the PDI at the dealers (I had the same with mine, car PDI done March I bought it new end of June).
I called them and said it would be getting its check up/oil change nearer the year since I bought it as they should really reset this at the time of the sale.

BG21

Reaction score
I`m on 12 month Audi service intervals but I`m doing some shortish journeys with potentially some DPF regens., coupled with 0W/20 oil which is like P water, I feel more confident with some fresh oil in between services (same reasons for my previous cars).
It`s the possible need for the extra tools I`m really asking about.