8V VCDS Mods

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread to pull together all the VCDS mods I've come across so far for the 8V. At the moment only limited coding info is available for the 8V, although this will improve as time goes on. Admin - Might be worth making this a sticky?

These are all tested and working fine on my MY14 S3, but please note you carry out all VCDS mods at your own risk. Always take a backup of the current coding, and remember the adaptions you can make are dependant on the model/options in your car.

Acoustic (Alarm Beep) on Lock/Unlock
[09] Central Electronics
Go to Security Access and enter 31347
Adaptation channels, and you are looking for:
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals - Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (Un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals - Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (Lock acoustic feedback)
Set each or one of them to Yes

Just to note the beep is much quieter than the old 8P beep, but still useful especially with advance key.

Acoustic Lock Menu
[09] Central Electronics
Acknowledgement Signals -Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung
Set Yes

This enables a new menu setting in the car settings screen which you can control (on/off) the lock (not unlock) beep from the MMI, rather than using VCDS.

Set Oil Temperature on all DIS Menus
[17] Instruments
Go to Long Coding
Byte 10, Bit 1. Display Oil Temperature
Tick Box

This enables the oil temperature on all DIS menus (the ones you scroll with your left thumb) rather then just the lap timer. Very handy as the S3 has no temp gauge! Should be like this as standard really!

Adjust Switch Off Speed For Parking Plus
[10] Park/Steer Assist
Go to Adaptation
You are looking for:
Abschaltgeschwindigkeit fur Einparkhilfe or Switch off speed for parking assist
Change to a speed you like (Standard is 10 km/h)

This changes the speed at which the parking plus system turns off after activation. I've set mine to 15 km/h so stays on longer.

Anymore anyone? I'll keep this updated as I come across/work out more :)

Disable DRL's in Light Switch 'O' Position
[09] Central Electronics
(9) Tagfahrlicht-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO
Set Active

This turns off the DRLs when the light switch is in the 'O' (off) position. I.e no lights at all, even the DRLs are turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Potterswheel, Lehn, RS3 S. and 5 others
Would dealers be able to activate these?

Sometimes, but most of the time dealers don't know how to as they use VAS and not VCDS. You're better getting off a VCDS cable.

Are the first two relating to turning a beep on?

I hope there's a way to turn off the lane assist detection thing, where it turns itself off if it thinks you aren't holding on

Yes, the alarm beep on locking and unlocking.

Okay. Nothing I'd want to enable as yet then.

Will keep an eye on this thread or see if anything useful (for me) comes out of the wood work.

I hope there's a way to turn off the lane assist detection thing, where it turns itself off if it thinks you aren't holding on

Id have a look mate, but I don't have lane assist.

I'm hoping the extend the ACC auto start time. 3 seconds is too short IMO :)

Other things I've seen that can be done:
- Enable dipping passenger mirror for reverse on the standard mirrors
- Enable parking sensor screen display for rear sensors only option
- Seatbelt warnings
- ACC Menu (have this done myself, by the dealer)
- Seat heating - how long the timeout should be before auto-switching from setting 3 to 2 (10 mins default I think)
- DRLs - make tail lights permanent or not (rear DRLs)
- Change how many flashes the 'lane change' function on the indicators use
- Needle sweep on startup

Reactions: Potterswheel, Jonjo_devon and spirosdimos
Other things I've seen that can be done:

- ACC Menu (have this done myself, by the dealer)

I want this, but at the moment with the latest VCDS version, the ACC module is still locked, asking for the security code. I'm sure RT will find it out soon.

I just asked my dealer and they did it for me. Is there any way you can get it from mine?

The handbook says 'ask your nearest qualified workshop to enable' or something similar, so i did, and they did!

Reactions: mojo555
I just asked my dealer and they did it for me. Is there any way you can get it from mine?

The handbook says 'ask your nearest qualified workshop to enable' or something similar, so i did, and they did!

Doubt it. The dealer uses the VAS system, which is very different to VCDS. I suspect with VCDS your ACC module will be locked as well as VCDS does not know the security code to open it. Yet!

Excuse my ignorance but what is VCDS and how does it work?

There are a few options that I have just read on this thread that I would like do but I'll be honest .....I've not a clue what you are on about

Reactions: Philip Davies
Doubt it. The dealer uses the VAS system, which is very different to VCDS. I suspect with VCDS your ACC module will be locked as well as VCDS does not know the security code to open it. Yet!

How do people find out what they are? How do people find out what options are available to be changed? Just looking around and trying things?

Excuse my ignorance but what is VCDS and how does it work?

There are a few options that I have just read on this thread that I would like do but I'll be honest .....I've not a clue what you are on about

I can't remember what it stands for, but it's essentially a bit of software you can install on a laptop and a cable that you plug into the car and can change these various options using the software.

Reactions: J6YAK
is there anything for the Tyre pressure monitor? i.e. if you haven't got, could you enable it?

good idea to make it a sticky! only be more VCDS stuff to come

Last edited:
Reactions: cemerson
How do people find out what they are? How do people find out what options are available to be changed? Just looking around and trying things?

Yes, and people send controller maps to Ross Tech so they can work out what is what, and they then put that info in to the next versions of VCDS. The next version of VCDS will have a lot more 8V stuff labelled i'm sure.

is there anything for the Tyre pressure monitor? i.e. if you haven't got, could you enable it?

Hopefully, one of the main things I'm looking for. Did it no problem on the 8P S3.

Reactions: c.grex
Thanks guys, this will give me something else to research while I wait for my new car to arrive.

I would be interested in the rear DRL's feature............. I think that should be standard from the factory IMO.

Sean

Reactions: Helifella, RYuill and c.grex
Can people with TPMS from the factory confirm if the reset button is in the car settings menu (on the MMI), or in the DIS?

Reactions: mjr_123
Love these threads. I've been reading various sources on the net but its a bit scatty and not clear to me on some of these things.

Got a couple questions if anyone could answer and provide more info.

Acoustic (Alarm Beep) on Lock/Unlock - Can this be done with the standard alarm system or do you need any optional extra? I wasn't aware you can have the 'beep' noise when the car is armed. If so this would be a neat feature.

Acoustic Lock Menu - can someone explain more about this?

@c.grex - I didn't think this was something possible to have if you don't have any form of sensors built into the tyre/wheel. Any aftermarket pressure requires this and it sends details to a little module where you can see the figures.

@Silky-S3 - what is the ACC auto start?

Also I know there are other VCDS mods to add such as
  • Needle sweep
  • auto dimming mirror
  • visible parking graphic on the MMI
Can the procedures be added to the main OP. Also would be good to include if certain optional extra are required to do so such as the Tech pack for Video in motion mod.

Myself, I've tried to do the auto dimming but its more than just coding, there is a procedure where you put it in reverse, set the angle of the mirror and then put it back. I'm not sure exactly but someone who's done it can give more detailed instructions.

As with the visual parking graphics, if I've got rear parking sensors can I get this active or again do i need certain optional extra's in my car?

Some time ago members were asking if there was any way the Start/Stop system could be switched off permanently using VCDS. Well I have just found this by a member allenlin on the GolfGTI Forum.

1. access 19 Can Gateway
2. click on Adaption-10
3. go to channel (1) Start/Stop...... and change the value from -50 to the new value of 50 - click Do It
4. go to channel (2) Start/Stop...... and again change the value from -50 to the new value of 50 - click Do It.

If anyone wants copies of the VCDS screen for doing this send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a PDF file.

I assume this will work but, not yet having an 8V, I have not tried it, although my try it on my current 8P and see if it works the same on that.

Reactions: Silky-S3
Can people with TPMS from the factory confirm if the reset button is in the car settings menu (on the MMI), or in the DIS?

It's in the MMI, under servicing and checks

Reactions: Silky-S3

Just tried this, but ABS module needs security access which VCDS does not yet know the code :( Can see TPMS listed in the adaptions so I bet it can be done. :)

Yes I think that would be a very good idea. MODERATORS - can you do this for us please.

Just tried this, but ABS module needs security access which VCDS does not yet know the code :( Can see TPMS listed in the adaptions so I bet it can be done. :)

Again from the GolfGTIForum there is this item which gives the Security Code for the Golf - it may be worth trying to see if it the same for the A3.

Note, the central electronics menus are password locked, so you first need to go into Function 16 (Permissions), and enter the code 31347. This then gives you access to the central electronics menu.

Again from the GolfGTIForum there is this item which gives the Security Code for the Golf - it may be worth trying to see if it the same for the A3.

Note, the central electronics menus are password locked, so you first need to go into Function 16 (Permissions), and enter the code 31347. This then gives you access to the central electronics menu.

Yes mate, got the code for 09, but really need it for 03 ABS. Ta

PS - its too risky to try 31347 for 03 ABS. Could lock me out of the module :)

no worry, it locks you out only for 10 minutes

If someone has the security code for module 13, he will be my new hero !

no worry, it locks you out only for 10 minutes

If someone has the security code for module 13, he will be my new hero !

I know it says that, but not sure if I want to risk it! Whats 13? ACC?

already tested it more than once. ;)

Module 13 controls a lot of electronics, among them the ACC and the stupid lane assist ! I already found a lot I'd like to change but cannot without the security code.

Reactions: vsantos69
already tested it more than once. ;)

Module 13 controls a lot of electronics, among them the ACC and the stupid lane assist ! I already found a lot I'd like to change but cannot without the security code.

Wanna try 31347 in ABS? :)