8v Steering Wheel On 8p

If its an 8P A3 then its always going to be a dual stage system in the car.
The 8K airbag will work but will need a few pins changed over.
The single stage wheel is only good for the really old cars or the new ones. the mk3 TT now has a single stage airbag as does the A1 and the A3.

Is there a way to put the new TT steering wheel on a 2010 A3 8P? My car came without the buttons so I don't care a bout the buttons working but my airbag on the TT is single stage and the one on my car is dual stage. Is there a way to wire the dual stage harness to take a single stage airbag on my car?

Sorry mate my bad, yes it's the 8k airbag you need, same as mine, also from A4 / A5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to put the new TT steering wheel on a 2010 A3 8P? My car came without the buttons so I don't care a bout the buttons working but my airbag on the TT is single stage and the one on my car is dual stage. Is there a way to wire the dual stage harness to take a single stage airbag on my car?
Im working on a way to get the new tt wheel to work on all the older cars... its totally custom and not straight forward but with some luck it should be ready before christmas

Reactions: fernando young and S.
Im working on a way to get the new tt wheel to work on all the older cars... its totally custom and not straight forward but with some luck it should be ready before christmas
you mean like, the new buttons and that? do it pleaseee!!!

Hello guys
Will try to wake up this forum again
I need help to upgrade my steering wheel

I have audi a3 2010
With dual stage airbag

I want to mount R8 steering wheel with code 8J

Mine audi have mfsw
Beside steering wheel i know i will need round airbag but dont know wich one

Anyone can help with this?

Hello guys
Will try to wake up this forum again
I need help to upgrade my steering wheel

I have audi a3 2010
With dual stage airbag

I want to mount R8 steering wheel with code 8J

Mine audi have mfsw
Beside steering wheel i know i will need round airbag but dont know wich one

Anyone can help with this?

8J0880201

This Steering Wheel Control Module Versions has:
1K0953549CH Type 2 Highline LIN 1.3&2.0

1K0959653D Slip ring

Is this working this : 8V steering wheel, comes with LIN2.0 highline buttons, and Single Stage airbag ?

I have old A3 8P with single Stage airbag.

My car : Audi A3 8P 3.2V6 Quattro 2004

Did this upgrade a little while ago. No errors and everything working perfectly.

15306646_1482052161812685_1343682584432869376_n.jpg

Reactions: Nikolaos, Pergan and S.
Can anyone tell me whether the 8k airbag with the wiring harness modded to suit the 8p will fit in a 8j fbmfsw from a tt

Thanks

Can anyone tell me whether the 8k airbag with the wiring harness modded to suit the 8p will fit in a 8j fbmfsw from a tt

Thanks
yes it will, just make sure to place the pins on the right position. (probably you'll have to trim some tabs on the yellow housing to fit easy)
i posted a picture on this thread of how the pin position of the 8k airbag needs to be

yes it will, just make sure to place the pins on the right position. (probably you'll have to trim some tabs on the yellow housing to fit easy)
i posted a picture on this thread of how the pin position of the 8k airbag needs to be

Thanks for the fast reply and I have saved your diagram for when I'm ready to do this mod

Reactions: fernando young
Hey guys. I read this tread a few times and wanna say huge thanks to all of you who shared their knowledge. Under impression, I bought a 8K steering wheel with (I hope) a dual stage airbag for my 2012 A3 8PA. It's not arrived yet, but I'd like to retrofit it as soon as possible after I receive the package. I have a practical question to all who re-pinned the airbag connector. How do you take the pins off? Did you use a re-pin tool or it's possible to use some needle or such?
Another question is about coding. I have a MFSW originally, so all the moduls must be installed already as all the buttons work. Do I need to change anything with a VCDS cable (which I don't possess) to make A4 B8 wheel work?

Hey guys. I read this tread a few times and wanna say huge thanks to all of you who shared their knowledge. Under impression, I bought a 8K steering wheel with (I hope) a dual stage airbag for my 2012 A3 8PA. It's not arrived yet, but I'd like to retrofit it as soon as possible after I receive the package. I have a practical question to all who re-pinned the airbag connector. How do you take the pins off? Did you use a re-pin tool or it's possible to use some needle or such?
Another question is about coding. I have a MFSW originally, so all the moduls must be installed already as all the buttons work. Do I need to change anything with a VCDS cable (which I don't possess) to make A4 B8 wheel work?

You don't need to change anything, I've got one on my a3 and once you have repinned the airbag connector then it is plug and play.

I can't help you with repinning the connector though as I bought my wheel and airbag off eBay and I told they guy I was putting it on an a3 so he repinned the connector for me before he posted it to me. I'm sure if you search it on google someone will have done a YouTube video of it or something

Reactions: dp_motley
You don't need to change anything, I've got one on my a3 and once you have repinned the airbag connector then it is plug and play.

I can't help you with repinning the connector though as I bought my wheel and airbag off eBay and I told they guy I was putting it on an a3 so he repinned the connector for me before he posted it to me. I'm sure if you search it on google someone will have done a YouTube video of it or something
Thanks. Not needing to code anything is a good news :)
I found a video on Youtube on how to re-pin automotive connectors. It doesn't seem to be too hard.

I found a video on Youtube on how to re-pin automotive connectors. It doesn't seem to be too hard.

Yes as long as your current MFSW works properly and as long as you repin the airbag connector properly then it's a pretty straight forward swap.
One tip I would give you is when you come to changing the wheels over then you should disconnect the car battery while you do it so then there isn't any chance of you being left with an airbag light on the dash or anything.

it is a little tricky, but dont lose patience, and dont pull too hard otherwise you can snap the pin and that'd be bad.
try pushing and wiggling it back and forth, then do a little pull. it should come off.

I will be careful and I will disconnect the battery and wait 10 minuts, just in case. Thanks for the advise.

I received the wheel this morning. It's not a flad bottom, but I didn't need it to be. I wanted a smaller (#1 priority) steering wheel with newer and sexier design, so chose I an A4/A5 one as on picture below. Will try to re-pin it tomorrow.

A strange thing. Before purchase, I went to an Audi dealer with a measure band and measured the steering wheel diameter. It was 36 cm. An A3 8P steering wheel is 37 cm and I think it's a bit large, so I bought one that I thought was 36 cm as one I measured at a dealer. I was surprised that despite same design, the new wheel was the same size as mine. Are they available in different sizes?

A4 steerring wheel 1

I was stupid enough and broke terminal on the braun wire (ground wire) while I re-pinned it. According to the diagram above, the white wire goes to paddleshift which I don't have in a car with manual transmission. I cut the white wire off and used its terminal with the braun wire leaving the white one disconnected. The claxon and airbag worked, but all the MF buttons were dead. I think the white wire has to be used with the multifunction in some way.

Anyone knows how to get an airbag connector terminal? Can I buy it somewhere (does it have an OE number) of should I buy a new airbag harness only to take a terminal off it?

Did this upgrade a little while ago. No errors and everything working perfectly.

15306646_1482052161812685_1343682584432869376_n.jpg
Hi Ash
Can you give complete reference of the modules you used including steering wheel, airbag unit as well as the ring unit?
Cheers!

Hi guys,

I know this is not the right forum for the model, but don't know anywhere else that has as much informations about this as here... So, a friend paid stupid money for a "RS7" steering wheel to replace his standard 4 spokes on his 2013 A7, wheel replaced, and none of the bottoms works and a warning on DIS... He forgot what the DIS warning was and have no VCDS/OBD11 at hand so just going at it blindly. Anyway, the "RS7" steering wheel has no part number label on it, but the airbag 8RD880201AA looks more like it's from either A4/A5/Q5 so I presumed the "RS7" wheel is more likely to be from RS4/RS5/SQ5 as well?

Since he paid quite a bit for this wheel, just trying to see if it's even possible to figure this out. The 8RD880201AA is the correct dual stage airbag, but the back mounts are different than the A7, and going through ETKA, looks like the correct airbag wiring loom should be 4G0971589B for this A7, and I assumed replacing the airbag wiring loom should fix his problem. Before jumping the gun, I asked him to detach the old airbag and hook up the steering connector from the old steering to the new to test it out first (With heated wheel connector disconnected, the old wheel is heated, new isn't). In theory, the steering buttons are all identical 2012 onwards for all Audi? And hooking it up should confirm if all he needs is a new airbag wiring correct? None of the buttons worked... And no light as well on the buttons, am I wrong that all steering wheel are the same from 2012 onwards? Or how often could a buttons set go bad? Any idea on what to look for, try next? Thanks guys!

IMG 2491

Original A7 wheel

IMG 2492

The "RS7" wheel...

IMG 2493

The "RS7" airbag..

IMG 2490

Hooked up old airbag to new wheel testing...

Reactions: Nikolaos
Wrong airbag, that's from a China Q5, incorrect staging

The wheel is possible from a A3 8V which uses a different lin version for the controls

The wheel is possible from a A3 8V which uses a different lin version for the controls

But the new wheel is with the arrows, same as the old A7 one. Doesn't arrows mean that both wheels use the same LIN version? What did I miss?

Hi Ash187. Could you comment on my question in the post #142? I cut out the white wire because I needed a pin/terminal instead of a braked one. I thought the white wire should connect the paddleshift which I don't have, so I cut the white wire and used its pin with a destroyed one (brown). No buttons worked after it. Does a white wire do anything else than connecting the paddleshift?

The colour of the wire means nothing, you will find other airbags use a different colour wire... it's the pin that's important.
You need to have the pins 1, 2 & 3 from the mf connector wired into the correct place in the airbag plug otherwise it won't work.

The airbag indeed from China Q5, but it's also dual stage (same as A7) and the airbag wiring loom seems to be correct. The steering wheel, pretty sure it's from RS4/5 but the buttons set are indeed from A3 after checking the part number... Friend is ordering the correct button set right now and will see how it goes, thanks!

The colour of the wire means nothing, you will find other airbags use a different colour wire... it's the pin that's important.
You need to have the pins 1, 2 & 3 from the mf connector wired into the correct place in the airbag plug otherwise it won't work.
Thank you. Of course the color doesn't mean anything. When I told about "white wire", I meant the wire that goes to the paddle shift pin on the airbag plug. I ordered an airbag harness off ebay just to get a plug and new pins and will re-pin everything with all the necessary wires according to the diagram shared in this tread.

don't blame him for wanting to change, that A7 wheel is FUGGLY. hope you guys get it sorted :)

Don't waste money on new buttons.
The problem you have is the wiring in the airbag plug is wrong

The airbag loom 8U0971589J seems to be correct A7 no? Yeah, it's a franken wheel, I have no idea where did he even got it...

Hi guys

I want to refit an 8v mfsw to an audi a3 8p. The more secure way for such a retrofit is to trace the correct steering wheel with the correct airbag unit.
Before re-wiring the relevant pins, it is necessary to have compatible parts..
Does anybody have a clue on the serial number of the relevant parts?!
That will certainly minimise the risk of buying a non compatible part..

Cheers

The 8V wheel/ airbag does not work on the 8P!
You need the 8K wheel and airbag and repin airbag plug to work. its that simple.

The 8V wheel/ airbag does not work on the 8P!
You need the 8K wheel and airbag and repin airbag plug to work. its that simple.
What if Nikolaos tried the hard way? I thought of this possibility too. What if we got a 8V wheel with or without buttons and replaced or added the 8K buttons 4L0951523C? I'm talking of steering wheel only here, not an airbag.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I want to refit an 8v mfsw to an audi a3 8p. The more secure way for such a retrofit is to trace the correct steering wheel with the correct airbag unit.
Before re-wiring the relevant pins, it is necessary to have compatible parts..
Does anybody have a clue on the serial number of the relevant parts?!
That will certainly minimise the risk of buying a non compatible part..

Cheers
MFSW (flat bottom): 8T / 8U / 8K0 419 091 CN.
MFSW (round) 8K0 419 091 CA
8K dual stage airbag for 8K wheel: 8K0 880 201 AE
Buttons, if steering wheels doesn't have them: 4L0951523C (need confirmation)

MFSW (flat bottom): 8T / 8U / 8K0 419 091 CN.
MFSW (round) 8K0 419 091 CA
8K dual stage airbag for 8K wheel: 8K0 880 201 AE
Buttons, if steering wheels doesn't have them: 4L0951523C (need confirmation)

Thank you very much do_motley for the reply!! Is the 8T / 8U / 8K0 419 091 CN the thick steering wheel version? (I do like the thick steering wheel like the 8P0064244e steering wheel).
Ash 187 I guess from the title that an 8v could possibly fit on 8p!!
What about the steering wheel you fitted above? It is an 8v on an a4 8k, right?

I have experience with a round steering wheel only. A 8K steering wheel is thicker than a 8P steering wheel. I think the FB steering wheel is thicker than the round one, at least it looks thicker on a photo. I believe Ash187 can say more as he's working with these things.