8V Saloon window tint

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
Het there! I have a question to owners of a 8V Saloon with tinted windows. I test drove a FL 8V Saloon yesterday and considered purchasing it if it still was for sale when I sold my 2012 8PA. This car had tinted rear sides and rear windshield and it didn't look like a quality job. The tint had an ugly cut out around the brake light.
Look at the picture. Are your rear windshield tinted the same or your tint doesn't have that cut out?

A3 8V ugly tint

Reactions: lea323ci
Mine has the same tint all over just like proper privacy glass should be.
It looks like that car has had aftermarket tinting film applied and is not factory fitted privacy glass.

20181110 105920
20181110 105931

Last edited:
Can’t comment on the a3 but I had my a6 tinted and the whole glass including brake light was tinted. That looks like laziness. I think it’s only a couple of clips that hold the brake light in place.
Upload 2018 11 10 10 13 24

Reactions: dp_motley
Factory privacy glass will always look better as it doesn't show up the rear heated window elements. It might be just dirt, but that window looks like it has air bubbles all over it too.

Factory privacy glass will always look better as it doesn't show up the rear heated window elements.
Yes they do seem very visible.....actually had me wondering at first if mine can be seen like that, but I'm glad it can't. :)

Reactions: Ormesome
Thanks guys! I had this feeling that the tinter was too lazy and didn't bother removing the break light but I needed to know if it was even possible. Now I see it is.

The privacy glass is indeed the best option. It looks just great. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get a pre-owned audi with the privacy glass in Denmark, so the tint is the most common solution for many drivers (tint costs 1/3 of the privacy glass too).

Edit. Those of you who spottet bubbles, you are right. There are bubbles too. I already decided to re-tint everything if I bought this car.

Thanks guys! I had this feeling that the tinter was too lazy and didn't bother removing the break light but I needed to know if it was even possible. Now I see it is.

The privacy glass is indeed the best option. It looks just great. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get a pre-owned audi with the privacy glass in Denmark, so the tint is the most common solution for many drivers (tint costs 1/3 of the privacy glass too).

Edit. Those of you who spottet bubbles, you are right. There are bubbles too. I already decided to re-tint everything if I bought this car.

Only reason why I noticed the bubbles is because my old A3 had the same. I had it tinted by a local guy. My glass had small little blemishes and it showed up as air bubbles in the tint. Be careful. It might not be air bubbles. Mine was because it had accident damage and the glass wasn't replaced. Do not know how the glass was damaged like that but when I saw that photo of yours then thats immediately what I thought. Don't mean to scare you, but sometimes not all is as it seems....

Thanks @Ormesome I'll look closer for possible damages. I didn't find anything suspicious yet.

Reactions: Ormesome

My saloon yesterday after having aftermarket tints on the rear added, definitely doesn’t look cheap as others say, in fact I’ve had just about every vehicle I owned tinted aftermarket.

Pay cheap, pay twice as they say...

Reactions: JonnyS3, Ron240 and dp_motley
Over in Rutherglen just outside Glasgow.

I’ve seen them before and always been impressed - Do you mind saying how much you paid ? Private message if you’d rather say in there?

Also read comments about the small raised black bubbles / texture round the edge of the windows causing issues for aftermarket tints but is it all ok?

Reactions: glasgowdubber
Surely looking straight on you can still see heater element? Mine looks dark from an angle and doesn’t show any lines. It’s when you look at it straight on you see the lines.

To get that almost factory look, like Glasgowdubber there, you need to pick a really dark tint otherwise you will see the heating elements in the rear window.
Some of the elements in Audi’s are orange like my last a6 and there’s no hiding that.
If you are in the area I would recommend pentagon tints in Glasgow. Had a couple of cars done there and can’t fault their work. Although diamond tints in glasgowdubbers car looks really good as well. Paid about £180 for my a6 if that helps you gauge a price. A lot more glass in the a6 compared to s3.

Reactions: glasgowdubber
To get that almost factory look, like Glasgowdubber there, you need to pick a really dark tint otherwise you will see the heating elements in the rear window.
Some of the elements in Audi’s are orange like my last a6 and there’s no hiding that.
If you are in the area I would recommend pentagon tints in Glasgow. Had a couple of cars done there and can’t fault their work. Although diamond tints in glasgowdubbers car looks really good as well. Paid about £180 for my a6 if that helps you gauge a price. A lot more glass in the a6 compared to s3.
To be honest you can see the orange on mines, I’ll get some better pics tomorrow, I just cleaned the car today and coated the outside glass with ceramic coating so it’ll show up nice.

If I’m honest I think I’ve went too dark, I may go back in a few months and go a shade lighter

Think it’s just the right amount of dark. :icon thumright:
Being a white car it will look darker than it really is.

As you can see, my A3 was fine from afar. Zoom in and you can see the lines. You can just make them out in this pic below. Also, there is a white boarder around the rear windows and the rear boot window which wouldn't be there if it were factory. You see this in most photos on this thread too.

Screenshot 2018 11 18 at 004656

Reactions: lea323ci