8v Saloon wheels

StuW13

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted 8.5 or bigger wheels all round on their FL Saloon. If yes I’m interested to hear what tyres would fit without rubbing. Thanks

Is the saloon and SB different?

For what I’ve read on sportback (didn’t think saloon was different) is that on rear you can fit 8.5j but then it’s to exposed on just 235 tire. And you can go up to 245. It fits as it is but under full load would rub. So most people recommend 8j with the 235 tire. That’s just what I’ve picked up from reading online. Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I too plan on changing my wheels soon and would love to get away with the wider tyres.

You going 20” or sticking to 19?

Teslaboy - I have checked willtheyfit but it only shows the difference between sizes and not whether they would rub or the best ET set up. The picture on there is a guide and it doesn't take into account the distance between the wheel and shock in the first place.

Biilymc92 - Yes the SB and saloon have different ETs because the saloon has a wider wheelbase. Standard is ET 42 all round for 235s and ET 46 front if you have the staggered with 255/30.

Ed_rx7 - I would consider 20s if I could get them on with a forged wheel to save increasing weight above OEM. If 245/35/19s would fit all round then so would 245/30/20, which is the size I currently have on my Scirocco R. I have heard 245s can rub on the rear, but I still think with the right ET this might still work. It would be nice to know someone who has 245s and can say their ET and where the tyre hits. It may only be 3-4mm either way that would need adjustment. 245/35/19 for the front actually matches 235/35 rear better regarding the diameter than the 255/30 on the OEM staggered set up
I live in hope but if all else fails I could just get the standard staggered sizes.

8..5 x 20 et 45 with conti sp6 245 30 20 will rub on rear under extreme load and will scrub slightly on front arch when reversing
8.5x20 et43 with Michelin P4s will scrub slightly on front arch when reversing
The Conti 6 is a much wider tyre

8..5 x 20 et 45 with conti sp6 245 30 20 will rub on rear under extreme load and will scrub slightly on front arch when reversing
8.5x20 et43 with Michelin P4s will scrub slightly on front arch when reversing
The Conti 6 is a much wider tyre

I agree as mine do this.... I run Michelin Sportmaxx gt.....this can he sorted(at the back by running s3 hubs..... but I don’t wanna start changing that stuff...... might try 235 on rear at some point as I’m on MSS Kit ... or I might get the ET altered on the rearcwheels.... still undecided on this......20’s make the car look mean!!!!!

This is on a SB btw....

So maybe the better fit would be an 8.0 wheel on the rear as standard with either the 235/35/19 or 235/30/20.

So for 20s a safe fit is:
Rear - 235/30/20 on 8.0 wheel
Front - 245/30/20 on 8.5 wheel

This is actually a better overall fit that having the 255/30/19 in the OEM staggered set up.

There's a saloon owner in NZ using 8.5x20 et45 on coilovers with MP4s 255 30 20 with no issues
There's definitely more room in the arches on the saloon
Re using 235 30 20....I prefer using 245 30 20 as they provide better ride ,absorption and protection especially if using Conti Sp6 as they are a very wide tyre with a pronounced sidewall protection

Tyre and wheel selection appears a tricky business. A lot of options.

One option I do want is side wall protection for the wheels.
I knew it would happen, gone and kerbed my drivers side wheel.
FUXX IT !!!!!!!!!!
Was only a matter of time I know especially with 19s and the fact I know have spacers. The OEM tyres with the so called rim protectors are SHXX !! They protect zero.

What is the best tyre to protect the rims? I notice some cars out there have a side wall that pronoucesly protrudes over the rim.

I have even considered getting Alloy Gator rim protectors fitted. That don't look bad in black (obviously).
I've looked in to this and the stick on Halfords Rim Bands don't get good reviews i.e the fall off.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

There's a saloon owner in NZ using 8.5x20 et45 on coilovers with MP4s 255 30 20 with no issues
There's definitely more room in the arches on the saloon
Re using 235 30 20....I prefer using 245 30 20 as they provide better ride ,absorption and protection especially if using Conti Sp6 as they are a very wide tyre with a pronounced sidewall protection

Does anyone have details of this person? Someone in the U.K. Sold his 245/30/20 set to a person in NZ or Oz and said they rubbed on the back under load. I would love 245s to work as 245/30/20 is a spot on size imo. Not for everyone but my current car size and ride fine for me if careful when parking.

I'm led to believe the saloon has less room due to wider wheelbase, hence having ET 42/42 or 42/46 as standard.