8v flat bottom steering wheel

Gavin thyvhhh

Reaction score
Hi guys I need a bit of advice

I've got a 8v stage 1 flat bottom steering wheel that I'd like to to my s3 8l
Any advice on making horn and air bag work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked in to doing this but there's not much info on the diy. I know hazzy dayz can do it but it's not cheap and they can get the multi function controls to work with an rnse. If you figure it out make sure you do a write up

I looked in to doing this but there's not much info on the diy. I know hazzy dayz can do it but it's not cheap and they can get the multi function controls to work with an rnse. If you figure it out make sure you do a write up

Yes hazzy dayz want crazy money
If I can get volume and stereo to work great but not fussed would settle for air bag and horn to work for now
Will definitely do a write up

Dude have a look here

https://www.drive2.ru/l/4856706/
how to guide, its in Russian though so will need to open it in google chrome but has parts list

Cheers buddy don't have a clue how to translate it lol
I fitted it just without the horn and air bag connected love it
I'll have a look a weekend about connecting bag and horn
4a81c45a62e3c88b53ea9677f26a4da0.jpg

Reactions: Dohcwp and BishAGU
Ah

I think you got the "wrong" one as when I emailed hazydays they said would need the steering wheel with MODE button. And that would wire in correctly. That was the only helpful thing I got off them haha

Same as the guide on drive2. They have the steering wheel with MODE.

I might try the conversion one day... I do like the FBMFSW

If
I was JUST about to post that! How good is drive2 lol

Here's another link. Same guy. I messaged him for how to do it. Looks like you need to scab a couple bits off of other cars. Shouldn't be too hard to get them

https://www.drive2.ru/l/472807043447652938/

i know all sorts of mad stuff on there,

you open in google chrome it should do it automatically

Yeah that's my next the was going to order some calipers this week but I think il do this and get the inside finished off1st updates the look nicely

I thought the 8v was the one to get as
It's a single stage airbag like in the 8l but the 8p is a 2 stage airbag.i wonder if his airbag works

I thought the 8v was the one to get as
It's a single stage airbag like in the 8l but the 8p is a 2 stage airbag.i wonder if his airbag works

I've fitted an aftermarket stereo so not bothered about volume controls and track changes apparently I just need a resistor for air bag and horn is just cut and splice
That's wright the 8v is single stage and I'm 99% the 8p is duel

Yeah 8p is dual but in the thread it uses a Ttrs wheel maybe that single but just looks the same as the 8p but with a different logo on it

Do it TJ and make a guide ;)

I've seen people splice the two stage wiring into one... if that makes sense.

I've fitted an aftermarket stereo so not bothered about volume controls and track changes apparently I just need a resistor for air bag and horn is just cut and splice
That's wright the 8v is single stage and I'm 99% the 8p is duel

See I would like the volume controls to integrate with the aftermarket stereo.... there is wiring for it so it must be doable somehow...

Struggling to find the right wheel like you say hazzy dayz website says 2012 fbmfsw with mode button could do with the part number so I get the right wheel

Reactions: IPG
That wheel does make the interior look a lot fresher! Especially with the double din.

Nice work !

Reactions: Gavin thyvhhh
That wheel does make the interior look a lot fresher! Especially with the double din.

Nice work !

Cheers buddy getting there inch by inch

Fitted the double din last week and wheel yesterday so am well in love with s3 at the moment
Until next week when something breaks

Reactions: BishAGU
Cheers buddy getting there inch by inch

Fitted the double din last week and wheel yesterday so am well in love with s3 at the moment
Until next week when something breaks

Don't talk about things breaking! I've just had my head gasket go from a failed water pump!

The Ttrs wheel is a dual stage airbag ( 8p platform which is wrong one) so your airbag should be a little more straight forward I wonder if you can still use the can steering wheel control unit he has listed or if you need a newer one

Do it TJ and make a guide ;)

I've seen people splice the two stage wiring into one... if that makes sense.

See I would like the volume controls to integrate with the aftermarket stereo.... there is wiring for it so it must be doable somehow...
Been thinking about this the point of the mfsw is that it displays the info on the dis e.g. Press mode then phone book and scroll through the names displayed on the dis instead of having to use the head unit to scroll through so is with our fancy display won't have this feature but should still be able to change to next track/ radio station and answer calls

Really depends on what you're after
I changed wheel because I wanted to update interior to look better
And it feels better to bare in mind my last wheel did 140k so wasn't in great shape and have no problem changing tracks using radio and making calls on my phone which I rarely do
Receiving calls is just one press on stereo as it has blue tooth built in

Did you have to get a new slip ring if so do you have the part number

Not sure what a slip ring is
But didn't use any other parts apart from the steering wheels

You may need to buy a 8v airbag slip ring to get airbag to work

@Ash187 @ AudiRetrofits (Instagram: audi_retrofits) has just completed an install of a Mk3 TT wheel (similar looking wheel to OP) into a Mk1 TT with horn & airbag all working. I've used him several times and very happy with his work (I've used Hazzy Dayz too). I'm interested in this thread as my 8P wheel will be going into my brothers 8L when I update mine.

@Ash187 @ AudiRetrofits (Instagram: audi_retrofits) has just completed an install of a Mk3 TT wheel (similar looking wheel to OP) into a Mk1 TT with horn & airbag all working. I've used him several times and very happy with his work (I've used Hazzy Dayz too). I'm interested in this thread as my 8P wheel will be going into my brothers 8L when I update mine.

I've spoken to hazzy dayz aswell and they are going to make me a harness adapter up from the 8v airbag to my s3 using my old s3 airbag loom for £120 plus vat getting the controls working will cost another £550. you will need to change the airbag on the 8p wheel to a single stage airbag no the original duel stage

Reactions: IPG and samuelh_888
@ Gavin thyvhhh

Hi
saw in the photo uploaded previously that you have a chrome headlamp switch....
Can you give me info on how you made it (think the whole switch from other models doesn't fit) and which switch you used (part number, model etc)

Last edited:
It’s a auto light switch from mk4 golf

I've spoken to hazzy dayz aswell and they are going to make me a harness adapter up from the 8v airbag to my s3 using my old s3 airbag loom for £120 plus vat getting the controls working will cost another £550. you will need to change the airbag on the 8p wheel to a single stage airbag no the original duel stage

the thing is if it take 12 hours of effort that is what £600 in labour costs? my mate turned down paying for a garage to fit an exhaust as the quote was for 3 hours in case of issues - paying time and materials elsewhere was only £50

the thing is if it take 12 hours of effort that is what £600 in labour costs? my mate turned down paying for a garage to fit an exhaust as the quote was for 3 hours in case of issues - paying time and materials elsewhere was only £50

I know but there isn’t any info on what wires to route where and what steering module you need to fit could cost a lot more if Mess it up

12hrs = £600 wish I was on your hourly rate ha

I know but there isn’t any info on what wires to route where and what steering module you need to fit could cost a lot more if Mess it up

12hrs = £600 wish I was on your hourly rate ha

we are all slaves - lord only knows who actually gets to keep any of the actual rates.
I spent 8 hours trying and failing to get Me7Logger working too-ing and fro-ing - maybe I am just slow in my old age - but if it was my job to get me7logger working on someone else's Audi and I failed it would still be chargeable - the world is not a charity. soccer players still get paid when they lose a match.

Reactions: IPG
Thats why you would ask for a price for the job and if it takes them longer then thats on there time.
Im a bricklayer and if i was to price a job at say £800 and i tell them it will take 5 days then if i don't get done in 5 days but takes me 8 then thats the way it goes sometimes.

that's right although (no offence) builders tend to add 25% contingency in their quotes which from experience is what you will be charged.

I got a wall knocked down for an extra £50 when we had a conservatory fitted a few years ago. the builder saw our young family running around so didn't want to use an "angle grinder equivalent" for bricks and choose to use a hammer and chisel - it wasn't a supporting wall but was a 1950s council house so took him 7 hours removing bricks better quality than new builds outer walls! poor Bob, he didn't drink or smoke so I had little more than tea and biscuits and light hearted conversation to offer him! also the electricians asked for extra money when I told them I needed a Part P certificate for the conservatory electrics they fitted, that's difficult as I said speak to the conservatory people for extra cash or don't issue one and I will report them for fitting electrics with no safety certificate.

having kids makes people different.

Ha i get ur point and no offence taken on you thinking all builders put 25% on jobs.
I dont get what you mean though that having kids makes people different as we are all different any way.

When I started having kids in the 90s I "sort of" changed. I've always been typically English apologetic and soft / accomodating. After I had a baby I took some blokes football and booted it into the woods at the bottom of Dunstable downs after they repeatedly kicked it over to our picnic with my 1 month old daughter on a blanket and blamed a bin man for not looking before crossing the road after diving to safety abandoning his bin bags in the road. This carried through to the electricians but I'm friendly compared to my wife who gets us free meals if the hotel room isn't correct etc. I can use her like "if you don't let me have my bike back I'll tell my mum" white-dee next level stuff!