8V climate controls into 8P

JillianEEH3

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently had the opportunity to swap over a lot of interior from a 2012 A3 (seats, center console, etc.) which was all compatible and required no mods to get it to fit. I had some homework to finish last night and had to leave my fiance to finish installing the new stuff into my 2006 8P.

I told him to leave the new climate control unit in the donor car because the AC won't work if it's installed in my car. I don't know if he didn't hear me or if he was just on autopilot, but he installed the unit from the 2012 and lo and behold, the AC no longer flows through the vents. Unfortunately it's too late to retrieve the original unit from the totaled car.

Is there a way to fix the issue with the flaps? I haven't been able to find much info on exactly what the issue is.

I already found an 8P unit on ebay that I'll grab if there's no fix.

Thanks!

I didn't read the 8v part! I saw the 2012 bit and presumed it was a facelift! In my defence it is early!

Reactions: Rideen
Get your self a panel from a Q3 , you will need to trim the sides about 2mm but other than that it goes straight in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180814-093147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180814-093147_Chrome.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 101
Quite right , my mistake. Worked for me but a 2011 car

However i think the real elephant in the room here is a fiance who already, and only at the apprentice husband stage , is not carrying out your wishes to the letter or simply not paying attention. This is a bad trait you need to put a stop too now, nip it in the bud. I would suggest the silent treatment for a day or so and pass him the bill for the new 8p panel.

Reactions: Rideen and Robin Chandler
@paddy you didn't just call her fiancé an elephant did you?

Reactions: JillianEEH3, D7YAB, Rideen and 1 other person
( but he installed the unit from the 2012 and lo andbehold, the AC no longer flows through the vents. Unfortunately it's too late to retrieve the original unit from the totaled car. )

If you look through the Q3 climate control post ,there is a part in it that we had to do to our Q3 retrofit which involved the flaps reset and to see if the Q3 retrofit had worked ( https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/q3-climate-control-8p-retrofit.233247/page-4 ) read through that and you will see what you would have to do you will need a Vcd's cable . Now i can't see what harm it would do to your unit so worth a try. I have a spare 2009 CC if you need 1

Hello!

I recently had the opportunity to swap over a lot of interior from a 2012 A3 (seats, center console, etc.) which was all compatible and required no mods to get it to fit. I had some homework to finish last night and had to leave my fiance to finish installing the new stuff into my 2006 8P.

I told him to leave the new climate control unit in the donor car because the AC won't work if it's installed in my car. I don't know if he didn't hear me or if he was just on autopilot, but he installed the unit from the 2012 and lo and behold, the AC no longer flows through the vents. Unfortunately it's too late to retrieve the original unit from the totaled car.

Is there a way to fix the issue with the flaps? I haven't been able to find much info on exactly what the issue is.

I already found an 8P unit on ebay that I'll grab if there's no fix.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same, only possible way would be to get a wiring diagram and read the data going to and from both units and decoding it. If they are still communicating the same way via canbus, then it may be possible to just re wire the connector for the facelift. only thing stopping you is there is a sensor in the 8p one which im not sure the 8v has. Its too simple in my head for this to work so a little more digging may be required.

Something like this requires alot of monitoring. Im sure a vcds output test on the climate control would provide enough information on how the original unit outputs the canbus data but again you will need that to be done on the 8v too to learn how the newer unit sends its data.

If by chance they both send and recieve the data in exactly same mannor, the rest of the ac system may be different. For example if by turning up the fan on the 8v unit fitted to a 8p, the fan motor could be labelled differently and so the 8v unit will send the signal for that motor for an 8v which may not existent in the 8p. A board translating the data for the 8p would be required but again its alot of hard work.

The possibilities are pretty slim of the 8v unit working in a 8v but if someone with the right skills wanted to make it work, they could.

I was thinking the same, only possible way would be to get a wiring diagram and read the data going to and from both units and decoding it. If they are still communicating the same way via canbus, then it may be possible to just re wire the connector for the facelift. only thing stopping you is there is a sensor in the 8p one which im not sure the 8v has. Its too simple in my head for this to work so a little more digging may be required.

Something like this requires alot of monitoring. Im sure a vcds output test on the climate control would provide enough information on how the original unit outputs the canbus data but again you will need that to be done on the 8v too to learn how the newer unit sends its data.

If by chance they both send and recieve the data in exactly same mannor, the rest of the ac system may be different. For example if by turning up the fan on the 8v unit fitted to a 8p, the fan motor could be labelled differently and so the 8v unit will send the signal for that motor for an 8v which may not existent in the 8p. A board translating the data for the 8p would be required but again its alot of hard work.

The possibilities are pretty slim of the 8v unit working in a 8v but if someone with the right skills wanted to make it work, they could.
If someone wants to send me a 8v module to play with, I can try to figure out what CAN id changes there are as well as the databits. Building a can gateway module would cost me about £10 in parts to do the signal conversion

Just to clarify. It’s impossible to physically fit a 8v CC on a 8P.

I’m happy to donate £10 towards the parts. If we can get the 8P2 CC on 8P working without physical mods (as done in some of the Eastern European forums) it will be a major breakthrough!

If someone wants to send me a 8v module to play with, I can try to figure out what CAN id changes there are as well as the databits. Building a can gateway module would cost me about £10 in parts to do the signal conversion
Id be interested how you would get on. I really wanna get into canbus decoding. I guess the possibilities are unlimitied as essentially everything sends data via canbus.

@Robin Chandler , i tend to agree with you that this is an 8p and not 8v just that the OP mentions the 2012 CC is now installed in the 2006 car , so me thinks the OP has put down wrong version but hopefully they will pop by and let us know , as certain things from an 8p will fit 8p no matter the age i am fitting 2006 doorcards to 2009

7B4E1583 AF82 4FD4 9FF6 0A233F22FF06
Just to clarify. It’s impossible to physically fit a 8v CC on a 8P.

I’m happy to donate £10 towards the parts. If we can get the 8P2 CC on 8P working without physical mods (as done in some of the Eastern European forums) it will be a major breakthrough!

@Robin Chandler , i tend to agree with you that this is an 8p and not 8v just that the OP mentions the 2012 CC is now installed in the 2006 car , so me thinks the OP has put down wrong version but hopefully they will pop by and let us know , as certain things from an 8p will fit 8p no matter the age i am fitting 2006 doorcards to 2009

Ah! I didn’t realize you guys had decided on 8P1, 8P2 or 8P3 to refer to the different versions! I’m in the states and should have included more details, my apologies! We never had 8P1 A3s over here, as it was first introduced here as a 2006 sportback. The donor car was a 2012 sportback with a manufacture date of 5/2012.

Provided a pic of the 2012 unit in my 2006.

Edit: Just noticed I lost a bit of text somewhere along the way. There was another sentence in there that said the 2012 was also an 8P (hence why everything swapped over directly without needing to be modded).

Last edited:
Reactions: maxpayne and samuelh_888