8V chassis A3 VCDS

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
I've been away from VAG for a while now and having sold my Vagcom cable, am in the market to get another compatible with the 8V chassis (3rd party). I have a K+Dcan usb and an OBD 2 enet cable which i have used for BM's up until now - I downloaded release 19.6 but cannot get either to connect, vcds recognises the com port but doesn't detect the lead, presuming i need another type of lead perhaps?

Grateful for any help...

cheee - ars

I've been away from VAG for a while now and having sold my Vagcom cable, am in the market to get another compatible with the 8V chassis (3rd party). I have a K+Dcan usb and an OBD 2 enet cable which i have used for BM's up until now - I downloaded release 19.6 but cannot get either to connect, vcds recognises the com port but doesn't detect the lead, presuming i need another type of lead perhaps?

Grateful for any help...

cheee - ars
Needs a genuine VCDS cable as this acts as a security dongle also.

Reactions: rum4mo
So the leads on the bay for £30-£50 won't give me basic fault finding?

i believe if you try to update a clone cable with the latest firmware (which you get with the latest software) it fries the cable so it wont work at all.

Reactions: 1animal1
There are good clones out there which will not damage cars and can be updated to a degree as long as you know what you’re doing but there’s also some really dubious ones I wouldn’t plug into an old golf. They mostly look the same from the outside too so really hard to spot a good one.

Basically if you’re not sure then buy genuine VCDS or a Carista / Carly setup

Reactions: 1animal1
Thanks chaps, it's only for the wife's Q3 so not really worth throwing the money at it. I had my previous vcds (from NHN) for retrofits mainly.... It might be that Carly fits the bill, especially as I'll likely be able to use with the BM