8V chassis A3 VCDS

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
I've been away from VAG for a while now and having sold my Vagcom cable, am in the market to get another compatible with the 8V chassis (3rd party). I have a K+Dcan usb and an OBD 2 enet cable which i have used for BM's up until now - I downloaded release 19.6 but cannot get either to connect, vcds recognises the com port but doesn't detect the lead, presuming i need another type of lead perhaps?

Grateful for any help...

cheee - ars

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
I've been away from VAG for a while now and having sold my Vagcom cable, am in the market to get another compatible with the 8V chassis (3rd party). I have a K+Dcan usb and an OBD 2 enet cable which i have used for BM's up until now - I downloaded release 19.6 but cannot get either to connect, vcds recognises the com port but doesn't detect the lead, presuming i need another type of lead perhaps?

Grateful for any help...

cheee - ars
Needs a genuine VCDS cable as this acts as a security dongle also.

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
So the leads on the bay for £30-£50 won't give me basic fault finding?

Khufu

i believe if you try to update a clone cable with the latest firmware (which you get with the latest software) it fries the cable so it wont work at all.

AndrewW

There are good clones out there which will not damage cars and can be updated to a degree as long as you know what you’re doing but there’s also some really dubious ones I wouldn’t plug into an old golf. They mostly look the same from the outside too so really hard to spot a good one.

Basically if you’re not sure then buy genuine VCDS or a Carista / Carly setup

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Thanks chaps, it's only for the wife's Q3 so not really worth throwing the money at it. I had my previous vcds (from NHN) for retrofits mainly.... It might be that Carly fits the bill, especially as I'll likely be able to use with the BM