1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

8V chassis A3 VCDS

1animal1 Oct 28, 2019

1. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

I've been away from VAG for a while now and having sold my Vagcom cable, am in the market to get another compatible with the 8V chassis (3rd party). I have a K+Dcan usb and an OBD 2 enet cable which i have used for BM's up until now - I downloaded release 19.6 but cannot get either to connect, vcds recognises the com port but doesn't detect the lead, presuming i need another type of lead perhaps?

Grateful for any help...

cheee - ars

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Needs a genuine VCDS cable as this acts as a security dongle also.

rum4mo likes this.
  4. 1animal1

So the leads on the bay for £30-£50 won't give me basic fault finding?

5. Khufu

Khufu Registered User

i believe if you try to update a clone cable with the latest firmware (which you get with the latest software) it fries the cable so it wont work at all.

1animal1 likes this.
  6. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Registered User

For the money Carista is good for basic changes.

1animal1 likes this.
  7. AndrewW

AndrewW Registered User

There are good clones out there which will not damage cars and can be updated to a degree as long as you know what you’re doing but there’s also some really dubious ones I wouldn’t plug into an old golf. They mostly look the same from the outside too so really hard to spot a good one.

Basically if you’re not sure then buy genuine VCDS or a Carista / Carly setup

1animal1 likes this.
  8. 1animal1

Thanks chaps, it's only for the wife's Q3 so not really worth throwing the money at it. I had my previous vcds (from NHN) for retrofits mainly.... It might be that Carly fits the bill, especially as I'll likely be able to use with the BM