8V buying advice….

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
After almost 7 years of faithful service my trusty A3 8P Sportback had an altercation the other day with an SUV which didn’t end well for the Audi .
I now need a new daily and I’m thinking of an 8V.
Having had over the last 20+ years an 80 Avant and A4 Avant ( both TDIs and bullet-proof) I found the 8P a great car but not as robust as the earlier Audis.
The 8P suffered from sooted-up turbo vanes twice and so my questions about the 8V mainly
centre around the engines.
Are the later common-rail diesel engines any better/more reliable than the PD unit in my 2006?
Conversely, are there any engines to actively avoid?
I’m going to be looking at models probably in the 2014-2016 age range.
At the moment I’m undecided as to whether I need a diesel any more as I only do about 7K miles per year, so are the petrol units any good?
Also, I’ve always had manuals , but am tempted to go DSG this time.
Is the DSG in the 8V a proper auto or is it ( as I suspect it is ) just a manual box with a servo-motor changing the gears?
My mum has a
2018 A1 DSG and tbh I find the box very clunky compared to Mercedes autos we’ve had in the family.
Thanks!

Generally I wouldn't say the new ones are any better. Having said that, my old 3.2 quattro (8P, lovely car btw) had all the common problems and more go wrong with it: wheel bearings, engine fan, radiator split, window mechanisms, blower fan, windscreen wiper motor, broken springs, coil packs, maf sensors. Annoying stuff that cost me 1000s to fix in the early years of my ownership. My 8V S3 has had none of these nonsense issues so far (yet).

If you want a petrol then consider perhaps the 2.0TFSI a relatively unstressed and potentially economical engine that will give you that nice torque of a diesel you are probably use to. I found the DSG on the S3 clunky too, so didnt go for it. That was the earlier 6 speed box though I believe the later 7 speeds are better. I drove an 18 plate A5 DSG for a bit that was actually OK.

+1 with Damo.
All auto 8Vs have DSG boxes and the lower you go in engine spec, the clunkier they are in my opinion. Others say they are the best thing since...
I had a brand new A3 2.0 TDI 150 SE with DSG box as a loaner from Audi for about a month. Hated it. I didn't think the gearbox suited the engine at all and it only returned 52mpg on motorway runs. The PFL S3 DSG (STronic) wasn't any better with plenty of corporal jones delay and Oh sh!t moments at junctions when they thought about it for half a second before setting off.
My old PFL 8V manual 1.8TFSI used to regularly return 40MPG in mixed driving. On the used car market, the 2.0 TFSI petrol is the bargain of the A3s for what you get. Probably won't cost that much more in fuel than the diesel (at 20p/litre extra) and a whole lot better to drive.

for the 8V S3, there is a current thread on major DSG headache. I tend to think cars that successfully receive a 34L4 update/check or a new DSG gearbox fitted through the factory campaign will be more desirable.

If you go for a DSG box, make sure you get a comprehensive warranty that will cover the cost of repair.

Hi,
Thanks all for your comments, they make interesting reading!
My mums A1 is a Sportback 1.4 TFSI with cylinder on demand 150bhp engine, don’t know if it’s because of the DSG box but it doesn’t feel particularly fast?
I also find that if it’s driven in Economy mode then it feels so woolly that it can cause heart-stopping moments when you want a bit of oomph, in the past I’ve had to literally stamp on the accelerator to get out of a sticky moment!
If it’s put into Sport mode then this problem very much goes away as the car seems to be in a much more suitable ratio at all times……
Overall though it sounds as if DSG is too much hassle, and that I’ll probably end up with a manual again…..
I also can’t see me going for a small petrol A3 if the performance of my mums car is anything to go by….
Possibly I’ve been spoilt by 20+ years of motoring with diesel engine torque on tap!
Anyway, I’ve got a lot to consider , thanks again .

8V Diesels generally reliable. None of the 8P piston ring oil burning issues
Diesel torque is great but the power band like all diesels is narrow.

Agree with Damo S on gearbox comments but my PFL 1.8 petrol with DQ200 (lowest DSG in the range) regularly got 50mpg on a long motorway run.

DSG:
DQ200 - PFL/FL 1.6 TDI and petrol up to 1.8 front wheel drive
DQ250 - PFL 1.8 quattro and 2.0 TDI & S3
DQ381 - FL S3.

Can’t recall what the FL 2.0T uses.

The stock DSG map is focussed on low revs & Economy setting is rubbish.

Economy — Comfort - Auto ———————————- Dynamic

As a manual gearbox fan, drive the DSG in manual mode and use the flappy paddles. I only use D in stop/start traffic.

You do have to learn the ‘mentality’ of the gearbox map for best driveability and smoothness. I recall my first DSG test drive was me vs gearbox.

Early DQ200 reliability concerns but not valid after Apr 2013.

The 1.4 150PS CoD A1 in manual gearbox (GF has one) is excellent and responsive - it’s your DSG map in D causing that - again, try M mode. The 1.4 does run out of puff at high revs (where the 1.8 keeps going) but up to 4k its sweet as honey. Got 53mpg on a 200 mile run in her A1 manual.

A3 1.8 withdrawn 2015 in UK when the 1.4 went from 140PS CoD to 150PS CoD.

CoD / ACT reliable long term.

EA888 Gen 3 (1.8 or S3) the thermostat housings are made of chocolate and leak coolant after 3-5 years - expensive to fix. Petrol 1.8 and S3 up to ~Aug 2018 (before 68 reg) had dual port injection - both direct and port injection to keep inlet valves clean.

Last edited:
8V Diesels generally reliable. None of the 8P piston ring oil burning issues
Diesel torque is great but the power band like all diesels is narrow.

Agree with Damo S on gearbox comments but my PFL 1.8 petrol with DQ200 (lowest DSG in the range) regularly got 50mpg on a long motorway run.

DSG:
DQ200 - PFL/FL 1.6 TDI and petrol up to 1.8 front wheel drive
DQ250 - PFL 1.8 quattro and 2.0 TDI & S3
DQ381 - FL S3.

Can’t recall what the FL 2.0T uses.

The stock DSG map is focussed on low revs & Economy setting is rubbish.

Economy — Comfort - Auto ———————————- Dynamic

As a manual gearbox fan, drive the DSG in manual mode and use the flappy paddles. I only use D in stop/start traffic.

You do have to learn the ‘mentality’ of the gearbox map for best driveability and smoothness. I recall my first DSG test drive was me vs gearbox.

Early DQ200 reliability concerns but not valid after Apr 2013.

The 1.4 150PS CoD A1 in manual gearbox (GF has one) is excellent and responsive - it’s your DSG map in D causing that - again, try M mode. The 1.4 does run out of puff at high revs (where the 1.8 keeps going) but up to 4k its sweet as honey.

A3 1.8 withdrawn 2015 when the 1.4 sent from 140PS CoD to 150PS CoD.

CoD / ACT reliable long term.

EA888 Gen 3 (1.8 or S3) the thermostat housings are made of chocolate and leak coolant after 3-5 years - expensive to fix.

Petrol 1.8 and S3 up to ~Aug 2018 (before 68 reg) had dual port injection - both direct and port injection to keep inlet valves clean.
Thanks for your detailed reply!
I have found that with the A1 in Dynamic mode (think that’s correct?) it does feel so much better and doesn’t run away on the over-run like it does in in Economy!
In Economy mode it rapidly gains speed down the merest slope, I’ve never had a car with so little engine braking; I don’t like having to constantly brake!
Sadly, as it isn’t my vehicle mum demands that I drive it in E all the time when I’m driving her around in it (at 85 she prefers me to drive and only drives herself on the occasional short trip but hey it’s her car so her rules!) but it isn’t a particularly nice experience!
Cheers

Economy mode has rubbish throttle response and has coasting function which disengages the clutch when off throttle so you are literally freewheeling even downhill. Comfort mode includes engine braking (better for battery charging) but with similar poor throttle response.

Economy mode has rubbish throttle response and has coasting function which disengages the clutch when off throttle so you are literally freewheeling even downhill. Comfort mode includes engine braking (better for battery charging) but with similar poor throttle response.
Yes , that’s it , it’s diabolical.
Unfortunately mum has become wise to me when I try and slip it into anything other than E!
It does sound like we’ve never come to grips with the DSG box properly!

I can honestly say best switch I ever made was to dsg & next car will be auto again, aside the issues mentioned, I think once you've found the best auto for you with peace of mind warranty, I honestly don't think you'd go back, I know I won't, it's just easier driving with all these roads, idiots etc, never missed clutch down gear change thousands of times a day, just makes life soooooo much better when driving & if I feel the need to change gear myself so to speak, paddles are perfect for that.

It's unfortunate the quality & reliability of vag builds these days & longevity has just got worse & worse, hence why you need a bulletproof warranty.

Thanks NHN , am really dithering about an auto , I’ve always preferred manuals but as a I get older their attraction grows……

I had a 2009 138 TDI manual 3DR that was always great to drive, relaxing to overtake with too. I had a 150 petrol S Tronic A1 for a few days (AAU) and it was awful in every way, heart stopping at junctions, gutless at lower revs, wandered all over the road and harsh ride, luckily it went back!

I've got a 2016 8V 3DR 150 TDI S Line manual now and it is superior in every way to the A1 and drives much nicer than my old 8P, comfort mode is good and dynamic even better, gear shift is light and positive, very comfortable even with 18" wheels, corners well and much better balanced. I love it, apart from the very slightly smaller boot ... The only thing that will replace it is an even newer 3DR or maybe a BMW 220d if I couldn't find a good A3.

I had a 2009 138 TDI manual 3DR that was always great to drive, relaxing to overtake with too. I had a 150 petrol S Tronic A1 for a few days (AAU) and it was awful in every way, heart stopping at junctions, gutless at lower revs, wandered all over the road and harsh ride, luckily it went back!

I've got a 2016 8V 3DR 150 TDI S Line manual now and it is superior in every way to the A1 and drives much nicer than my old 8P, comfort mode is good and dynamic even better, gear shift is light and positive, very comfortable even with 18" wheels, corners well and much better balanced. I love it, apart from the very slightly smaller boot ... The only thing that will replace it is an even newer 3DR or maybe a BMW 220d if I couldn't find a good A3.
Thanks.
I’m now driving the A1 in ‘auto’ mode and it’s so much better than Economy which is dire.
I find the A1 suspension is firm but not uncomfortable, which is more than can be said of the factory S-line suspension of my 8P which was atrocious.
The 8P only became bearable after fitting Bilsteins & Eibach springs , how does your 8V feel in that respect?
I’m hoping that by the time the 8V came along Audi had tuned the suspension properly for the UK market…..

Reactions: Rog_B
Thanks.
I’m now driving the A1 in ‘auto’ mode and it’s so much better than Economy which is dire.
I find the A1 suspension is firm but not uncomfortable, which is more than can be said of the factory S-line suspension of my 8P which was atrocious.
The 8P only became bearable after fitting Bilsteins & Eibach springs , how does your 8V feel in that respect?
I’m hoping that by the time the 8V came along Audi had tuned the suspension properly for the UK market…..
Like I said, it feels great. I keep the tyre pressures down to the minimum which helps as I don't carry passengers or heavy loads. I drive on some atrocious country lanes and it is bearable over the worst bits. Compared to the 8P SE with 16", of course, it's firmer, but as the cornering is much better, I can live with it. The chassis seems better able to handle the roads and the lower profile tyres. I was pleasantly surprised! The car also tracks well over all surfaces and cambers I've encountered so far. PS mine is S Line but suspension is Sport, maybe that helps?

Like I said, it feels great. I keep the tyre pressures down to the minimum which helps as I don't carry passengers or heavy loads. I drive on some atrocious country lanes and it is bearable over the worst bits. Compared to the 8P SE with 16", of course, it's firmer, but as the cornering is much better, I can live with it. The chassis seems better able to handle the roads and the lower profile tyres. I was pleasantly surprised! The car also tracks well over all surfaces and cambers I've encountered so far. PS mine is S Line but suspension is Sport, maybe that helps?
Thanks, perhaps your ride is more compliant because of the Sport shocks?
I couldn’t believe how bad the S-line ride was on my 8P when I first bought it, every trip shook my fillings out!
I’d only go for an S-line 8V so hope that things have improved……

Age is irrelevant tbh, even if I was 20 I'd have gone with strong, dsg all day long, honestly changes your driving to be much more relaxed tbh.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
Thanks, perhaps your ride is more compliant because of the Sport shocks?
I couldn’t believe how bad the S-line ride was on my 8P when I first bought it, every trip shook my fillings out!
I’d only go for an S-line 8V so hope that things have improved……
It's not just the shocks, the springs are stiffer in S Line suspension too, and ride height is lower.

Age is irrelevant tbh, even if I was 20 I'd have gone with strong, dsg all day long, honestly changes your driving to be much more relaxed tbh.
Totally agree I'd never go back to a manual either

Reactions: Harvey
As standard the DSG can be a little sluggish but on the whole I haven't had a problem with it. I'm told though if you take it to a TVS approved place, you can have a drivability tune done that makes it a lot better. I just haven't got round to it yet.

Regarding the car, my personal feeling is the PFL is the better looking car - I prefer the lights, front grille and bumper and the rear bumper too. But that FL has better interior options/tech. My advice would be look specifically at the 66plate cars - these are FL models so have the better steering wheel controls and MIB2 (so you get CarPlay/Android Auto, or can have it activated), but still conform to the "old" car tax rules, meaning you pay just £30 for the 150bhp 1.4 petrol and the 2.0 diesel, rather than £165 flat rate for vehicles on 17 plate onwards.

Reactions: Damo S
Thanks all for your continued comments , although I have to admit that I’m more confused than ever!
The comments about the slow DSG and software issues are frightening me somewhat to be truthful!
So are there any ‘bad’ engines in the 8V range?
Have seen a few 150bhp (think 1.4 COD and 1.5) advertised , as well as plenty of 2.0 TDI.
If the economy of the petrol engines is now almost on par with the diesels then I might have to give up driving a TDI given that it’s about 90p per gallon more expensive than petrol…..

I can assure you the economy of the 1.5 35tfsi is excellent. I thought about an auto but discounted it on cost, and I'm not sure I miss it as the engine is so flexible. To give you an idea of how flexible, I towed a 1200kg caravan from Merseyside to Devon and did not drop out of cruise control and 6th gear until hitting some steep hills near Bristol. I returned 40mpg on the tow. Solo on the return run I was showing 78mpg at one stage on the M6. I brimmed the tank to a true 70+ mpg.

Colin

Reactions: Damo S
I can assure you the economy of the 1.5 35tfsi is excellent. I thought about an auto but discounted it on cost, and I'm not sure I miss it as the engine is so flexible. To give you an idea of how flexible, I towed a 1200kg caravan from Merseyside to Devon and did not drop out of cruise control and 6th gear until hitting some steep hills near Bristol. I returned 40mpg on the tow. Solo on the return run I was showing 78mpg at one stage on the M6. I brimmed the tank to a true 70+ mpg.

Colin
Thanks for the info , those are superb economy figures I have to say!

Hopefully my search is over.
I’ve put down a holding deposit on a Nov 2017 2.0 TDI Sportback Black Edition with Virtual Cockpit/Technology Pack and will be viewing the car next week.
Can anyone enlighten me whether it’ll have B&O sound?
Have had a good internet search and getting conflicting info…..
The dealer hasn’t mentioned it, but then they missed the fact that it has heated seats too .
Thanks!

Hopefully my search is over.
I’ve put down a holding deposit on a Nov 2017 2.0 TDI Sportback Black Edition with Virtual Cockpit/Technology Pack and will be viewing the car next week.
Can anyone enlighten me whether it’ll have B&O sound?
Have had a good internet search and getting conflicting info…..
The dealer hasn’t mentioned it, but then they missed the fact that it has heated seats too .
Thanks!
Until you see it, probably no. If you register the car on MyAudi with the VIN it should show all options fitted.

Until you see it, probably no. If you register the car on MyAudi with the VIN it should show all options fitted.
Thanks , but alas I have no info other than the registration number.
Think that I may have to go into Audi next week and ask them very nicely if they’ll give me the car spec……

Thanks , but alas I have no info other than the registration number.
Think that I may have to go into Audi next week and ask them very nicely if they’ll give me the car spec……
Best plan. I just went into MyAudi and I've got no equipment listed in it It's going to main dealer on 7.3 so maybe it's not assigned to me?

Best plan. I just went into MyAudi and I've got no equipment listed in it It's going to main dealer on 7.3 so maybe it's not assigned to me?
I haven’t used MyAudi for years, my cars have always been far too old for me to bother with it, LOL.

I bought a 2019 A3 SportBack 2.0 TDI S Line Quattro DSG with 21k on the clock in December last year from Stafford Audi, no regrets what so ever, the gearbox is silky smooth and the ride is very comfortable. The DSG can be slow on pick up in the economy modes, but nothing to worry about if you drive accordingly and allow for it. If you prefer to drive in dynamic mode it might be worth having a remap, I had mine done a few weeks ago with recent figures giving 44+ MPG around town.

Last edited:
I bought a 2019 A3 SportBack 2.0 TDI S Line Quattro DSG with 21k on the clock in December last year from Stafford Audi, no regrets what so ever, the gearbox is silky smooth and the ride is very comfortable. The DSG can be slow on pick up in the economy modes, but nothing to worry about if you drive accordingly and allow for it. If you prefer to drive in dynamic mode it might be worth having a remap, I had mine done a few weeks ago with recent figures giving 44+ MPG around town.
Glad to hear you’re happy with the DSG!
Have to confess though that I’ve somewhat chickened out and gone manual again…….

I bought A3 Sportback Sport 35 TDI Stronic few days ago (used, 10/2019, 39.000km). Stronic is super smooth and switches gears perfectly. It doesnt jerk even when its cold outside. Driving in Comfort mode is a joy. Sport mode tends to "stretch" gears and produces more "sporty" feeeling though i dont use it. Its DQ380 dsg 7-speed. Zero complaints for gearbox!