8PA to 8V

C

Cornish John

Hello,

I have owned my 8PA 2.0tdi 170bhp for five years now, its a 2010 plate.
Its never missed a beat, just clocked 226,000 miles, its been a pleasure!

Now, towards the end of the summer looking at a 8V 2015 plate, going to be an S-Line I would think.
Not sure to either stick with diesel or go petrol.

Comments, tips and advice please.

Reactions: kanteo28 and Audi Bairn
Depends on your mileage. You had your car for 5yrs but what sort of mileage do you do? 226k over 7yrs is 32k a year which is well in diesel territory. I wonder if a petrol car would have withstood that amount of mileage with no problems. Would be interesting to find out if any other petrol 8V owners have clocked up similar mileage or even what the highest mileage a petrol 8V has done... Am i right in saying the petrol engines are all new tech so mostly unproven in high mileages?

Sorry, I didn't read the question properly and missed the mileage. I agree that if doing the same mileage now it should probably be diesel. Although I had a petrol Honda in the 90's and did over 220,000 in 6 years with no problems.

That mileage is very impressive, although I appreciate it should be within the scope of the average diesel. However, when you say it never missed a beat, do you mean that nothing ever went wrong? You'll have had it serviced regularly but did you never face a repair bill in all those miles? That is truly remarkable.

With the mileage you do I would say diesel is a no brainer, before my S3's I had a 8V s-line 2.0TDI (150BHP) and was very happy with it

That mileage is very impressive, although I appreciate it should be within the scope of the average diesel. However, when you say it never missed a beat, do you mean that nothing ever went wrong? You'll have had it serviced regularly but did you never face a repair bill in all those miles? That is truly remarkable.

Yes in the five years I have had it, its cost me four sensors which I changed myself and one flap runner motor which was £250. I change the oil myself every 5K to 8K because I enjoy it. Plus the other bits like fuel & Air filter. Don't do the 20K Audi thing!
Do the cambelt every 70K, I think Audi say around every 130K! So I'm on my third cambelt change.

It goes into my local garage for a service now and again to maintain the service record.

Its on the same clutch, turbo EGR valve etc.
I think it keeps going because its driven as diesels should be, hard and fast for prolonged mileage lol.
(when I say hard, I don't mean I thrash it, just give it plenty of beans in each gear)

I ask because after 32 years in the Royal Navy I'm retiring in Oct 17 and hope to get a little job within 20 miles of home to top up the pension!

Thanks,

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rideen
With my Honda Accord mentioned above I never had to pay out anything except regular servicing and associated parts (eg brakes etc)
It's interesting though that I bought it new in the late 80's and the cost was £15.5K + £1K for after sale aircon - wasn't standard in those days. So see that cars have gone down in price in real terms.
And the real rub? My 3 year loan to buy it was 15% interest rate.
Those were the days - the young'uns don't know they're born :blahblah1:

Like you, went from an 8P170 to an 8V184. Glad i waited for a 184 than a 150.

I've got the 2.0TDI 150 coming from 8p 2.0 tfsi...I miss the speed and sound of my petrol but love the mpg from tdi. If I could change one thing it'd be a remap. I only miss the sound/rev range of the tfsi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk