8p3 DRL LED bi-xenons into 8p2 Halogen Housing???

Lewbo

Reaction score
A few weeks back there was a thread from a guy in america who was trying to fit A4 B8 led drl Internals into an 8p2 headlight housing and was having a few problems.
Here it is:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-a4-headlights-into-a3-headlight-housing.html

So this got me thinking as I have always liked the liked the 8p3 LED DRL headlights but this requires full facelift which I was considering doing on my 8P2 S3 as I have done this to a previous A3 myself, but this will effect future buyers when I come to sell.

As I had already bought a complete set of 8p3 LED DRL headlights Before I decided against the facelift I thought to myself how about stripping out the full Internals of these lights and put them inside the 8p2 headlight housing, the headlights are virtually the same size and looks like they will fit directly in with a little bit of modding. This way I get the LED Drls I have always liked and don't have to change the full front end of my car to achieve this. Plus cos I already have bi-xenons it would simply be swap headlights over and some simple coding Then when I come to sell swap the headlights back to standard bi-xenons.

So my question is what are peoples opinions on this before I decide or attempt to take apart the 8p3 headlights.
I have never seen this been done before so thought it might look rather good.

Thanks Lewis.

Reactions: KhalifaA3
I like the idea! if this works and looks OEM i will buy a set from you!

pre-requisite would be that it still has OEM bi-xenon projectors and the OEM LED DRL so that the coding side of it remains in tact.
The one I saw in US was using a 3rd party headlight and projector with the OEM DRL which i didn't like as this isn't full OEM and thus messes up the coding (the CE coding was left as halogen as he was running a HID kit in there and did not changing the coding to bi-xenon with LED DRL)

If that is possible I am in for this!

I thought you where selling up ?

This is my exact thoughts would still be OEM and coding would be correct as you stated cos can change to bi-xenons with LED DRL so will have no errors ect. The best bit is would be a straight swap, well things are up in the air at the minute but if I decide to sell up and I have already done this project then I will then sell on the headlights to somebody else not a problem :), just need few more peoples opinion and if there all positive I will soon be going ahead with this idea so watch this space!

what do you think the price braket would be to sell them on? as i know this will be a big hit and sell really good for all those that want LED DRLs but dont want to pay the price to facelift... really good business opportunity here.
you could even just get the basic 2006 halogen headlight and put the 8p3 internals into it for it to work so that will bring down cost.

That's what I am thinking of doing, buying halogens so keeps costs down, am not sure on the price tag, obviously have to be more than what it costs for the average price of the 8p3 headlights and halogen ones, plus it saves on full facelift do saves you a lot of money also, just have think what people would be happy paying, just can't Make them too expensive or won't sell lol.
Think am going to be the guinea pig and go for this and if all goes well I will start doing these and selling them on if I get enough Interest.

That's what I am thinking of doing, buying halogens so keeps costs down, am not sure on the price tag, obviously have to be more than what it costs for the average price of the 8p3 headlights and halogen ones, plus it saves on full facelift do saves you a lot of money also, just have think what people would be happy paying, just can't Make them too expensive or won't sell lol.
Think am going to be the guinea pig and go for this and if all goes well I will start doing these and selling them on if I get enough Interest.

Superb Lewis,
If it works you would only need two or three sets of A3 headlights as from then on you could do it on an exchange basis ;)

This is also what I was thinking Martin, I think will this be a big hit with a lot of 8p1/2 owners, get the oem LED DRL headlights that FIT Straight into there own car without the hard work of full facelift, I have been thinking about doing this for weeks, soon as I get my hands on some halogens I will give this a go and let everyone know the finished results with pictures showing them fitted to my car.

:icon_thumright: sounds like a great idea!! i've not bought my A3 yet as im currently searching to make sure i get the right one i want. but this is DEFFO sumat i would be interested in when i do get it! will be very interested to see how you get on as i have searched for doing this upgrade and found as you said that the full face-lift is required!

Cheers!

Jayy

I also like the idea! Providing all works well, I would most likely buy a set. However, I have the normal halogens. Can the xenon components also be transferred with the DRL from the 8p3 set up?

I also like the idea! Providing all works well, I would most likely buy a set. However, I have the normal halogens. Can the xenon components also be transferred with the DRL from the 8p3 set up?
yh thats the idea, he will take the insides of the halogens out and then replace with the 8P3 LEDs and xenons and then sell on.

all you need to do is change over the headlights and then code it to work without errors... but like i just said, thats the idea.
Lets see (and hope) that he can do this.

yh thats the idea, he will take the insides of the halogens out and then replace with the 8P3 LEDs and xenons and then sell on.

all you need to do is change over the headlights and then code it to work without errors... but like i just said, thats the idea.
Lets see (and hope) that he can do this.

this would be great as i have also been looking at the requirments for xenon + bi-xenon lights for upgrading the halogen ones! :)

I don't know about this but ..... Surely you would have to buy an 8p3 head light to get in the bits inside. And then retro fit it to the 8p2 version.
Making it an expensive mod as you'll have to buy a 8p3 headlight every-time ....:uhm:

I don't know about this but ..... Surely you would have to buy an 8p3 head light to get in the bits inside. And then retro fit it to the 8p2 version.
Making it an expensive mod as you'll have to buy a 8p3 headlight every-time ....:uhm:

yh thats right but its still cheaper to do this then to get the whole front end and paint it and get it fitted... well the final price is still for lewis to decide but as long as its a reasonable price il be up for getting one

Of course I would have to buy 8p3 headlights and 8p2 everytime it needs to be done, but it will work out hell of a lot cheaper and easier this way rather than full facelift, I have measured up the lights and the are almost exactly the same dimension so hopefully will be easier than I 1st thought, think am going to split one of the 8p3 headlights tomorrow and go from there, so heat gun job or oven job lol.

This is the greatest idea I've heard in ages, and I am very interested to see how it progresses.

I would snap a set of these up in a heartbeat of you buddy! Presumably you will still need to change the CE unit for the DRL lights when you put the indicator on - well you would on mine anyway, but apart from that - it should be fairly straight forward as far as coding goes.

Please, please, please, please, please, please do this!!!!!!

TBH there are fair few hurdles to get over, levelling system, the fixings for said system, the beam pattern & adjustment either way, you'd need to open an 06 & 09 bixenon headlight to measure up if the fixings are in the same positions as it could snap the arms/fixings on 1st usage, allot of considerations that in the end could fail mot, plus remember it does a dance on startup & if its out of whack by even the slightest, it could ****** the whole mod.

If it comes of then I herald the effort & work.

I would look at using an 09 rear as thats what holds all of the internal systems & fit an 06 front, that way you'd hope it worked 100% without any worries, but again allot of considerations.

Reactions: N8
The facelift ones are tbh a bit of a ball breaker, to the point I gave up as it would of ruined the headlight, but I didnt have an oven available at the time, so left it.

Did you have any joy with this? It seems a while since you started the thread...so I'm guessing it didn't work out. Great idea tho!