1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

8p3 adaptive xenons

thesmileyone Dec 25, 2017

1. thesmileyone

thesmileyone Registered User

Are these supposed to move from side to side?

Test drove a car in the dark the other day, they didnt move. Guy (audi dealership) said they dont move from side to side, they "have extra lights that light up as you go round corners".

Im sure these are supposed to move from side to side?

They are ECE patterns so I hope so!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Darren92

Darren92 Registered User

Not all cars have adaptive. If they only moved up and down then it’s normal bi-xenon.

4. S.

S. Save the manuals

That headlight from the picture should be adaptive headlight. Black xenon lense side cover is non-adaptive.
    I've driven a car with adaptive headlight and i had a hard time noticing them move but they do.

5. SteveMcB

SteveMcB Registered User

They do move with the wheel above a certain speed, on the SQ5 the light switch has to be in 'auto' though.

6. thesmileyone

This car doesn't have light sensor, but I did have them set to headlights and not left on DRL. Unless there's a sensor seperate to the one which comes with the auto dimming mirror which it does not have?

7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

You only notice them at slower speeds, drive around some A roads & you'll notice on slower turns & no they don't have extra lights inside for this, there are additional motors that swivel the light left & right aswell as the standard bixenon motor for up & down.

8. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Are they not supposed to do the down/up, left/right check on start up like on the 8P2 if they are adaptive?

9. NHN

up & down yes.

10. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I'm sure my 8P2 with adaptive did the left right shuffle too, are the 8P3 different?

11. NHN

They didn't always do l&r, if adaptive were faulty on the car in question, a fault would show in the dis, it's merely knowing when they will be used & noticeable.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

I have a 2010 adaptive lights, bixenon. They only go up and down on start up and move left/right when turning corners above 15km. Per hour. The fogs don't don't light up at all on turns. You'll notice them turning on unlit roads more than in town.
    Fog and DRL come on as "coming home lights"

14. thesmileyone

I hope they work. Where I live there are lots of 90 degree corners on lanes as well as the same corners up and down hills.

On my old car with projectors and ece beams they were fixed both up down and left right and used to blind oncoming traffic going round left hand bends uphill etc. Granted they were the full 85w ones and these are limited to 35w (thanks, EU!) but I will probably convert them to morimoto projectors eventually for the full 85w output.