8P Sportback tyre confusion - 235/45/17

Andy_M

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my 08 plate 2.0TDI Sportback in Feb and the time has come to replace the front tyres (the near-side needs doing especially as its more worn than I thought).

The car currently has 235/45/17 all round (Bravuris tyres - not a brand I've heard of) and my plan was just to replace the fronts with some Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. However while doing some research it appears that this is not the stock size for the OE alloys I have and they should instead be 225/45/17.

Right now the car feels fine so I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with the 235s. However, I'm undecided whether to:

a) Buy the Uniroyals in 235 and put them on the front
b) Try and just like-for-like swap the fronts for the same Bravuris tyre
c) Buy the Uniroyals in 225 for all 4 corners (I'd really rather not as the current rears have a lot left on them)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Andy

I'd go for the oe recommended is there unnatural ware it would worry me they would not last as long etc. I had proxes on mine when I bought it decent tyre. Just bought conti sport contact 5s for it and there phenomenal.

Great size is 235 45 17 .

Bit more grip , comfort and possibly rim protection .

Stick with the OE size, running non-OE may cause issues with your insurance should you be in an accident.

Stick the good Bravuris 235 on the front wheels and buy the correct 225's for the rear (whatever brand you fancy). Rag it around for a few weeks and wear them out, then you can buy another two tyres to match the rears.

If it's any interest to you I just bought 4 Falken ZE914's XL at a bargain price and I have 17" wheels, less road noise than most tyres on an A3. Am I the only one who notices A3's to have more tyre noise than other cars?