8P S3 - Very Funny noise!

s3stig

Reaction score
All, I'm new to this forum but have been browsing for some time!

I have a white 57 S3 and love it! I've been hearing a strange noise for the last few weeks which I'll try and explain but the car is running perfectly, turbo is coming in fine and no warning lights etc.

The noise only occurs when I lift of the throttle only after 2000RPM i.e. only after the turbo kicks in. Now the noise isn't really a whistling noise or a 'whoosh' type noise, it's more squeekier and sounds a bit like a cat purring - sorry it's the only way I can describe it.

I've limited knowledge but savvy enough to carry out the basic things, so I removed the engine cover, MAF etc and upon revving the car hard on standstill, you can notice the noise very clearly around 4.5-5.5k revs. This suggests it's not the air filter which someone advised it could be!

The noise appears to be coming from the top of the engine i.e. on the windscreen side. I checked as many pipes/hoses as I could and could find no leaks. If there were leaks I'd suspect low boost etc?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible! Has anyone experienced this problem before? Does it sound like a DV issue?

Divertor Valve - Yeah I thought so, tried having a look at the part no as I know they have been revisions but can't see it with the engine cover being in the way. I should have checked whilst I had the engine cover off...doh!

Divertor Valve - Yeah I thought so, tried having a look at the part no as I know they have been revisions but can't see it with the engine cover being in the way. I should have checked whilst I had the engine cover off...doh!

The Divertor Valve is on the front right side of the engine (as you look at it) and as yours is '57 it will more than likely have the old diaghram one - which as you know is known to split. It is fixed with torq bolts if I remember right and is pretty easy to remove to give it a once over - so off with the cover again. :laugh:

Check this link for a picture and prices for the Rev D. I and many others run the Rev D and it is perfectly reliable, not to mention a damn sight cheaper than other aftermarket options.

The Divertor Valve is on the front right side of the engine (as you look at it) and as yours is '57 it will more than likely have the old diaghram one - which as you know is known to split. It is fixed with torq bolts if I remember right and is pretty easy to remove to give it a once over - so off with the cover again. :laugh:

Check this link for a picture and prices for the Rev D. I and many others run the Rev D and it is perfectly reliable, not to mention a damn sight cheaper than other aftermarket options.

Thanks for that AuldReekie. Only problem is are we sure its the Divertor Valve as I would expect a loss in performance too if it was faulty? It looks like either way I should be changing the DV. I'm not looking forward to taking the engine cover off, It's putting it back on which is the worst part even with the rubber grommets on the back of the engine cover!

:lmfao: LOL............oh...not that kind of very "Funny" noise :)

Also check engine mounts. Could help if you can record the sound. I suppose you would know it if it was the DV, since you'd suffer some power loss.

Exactly...I might hold off the DV. Somebody else thought this was a perfectly normal sound but its the first I've heard and I've driven many 2.0TFSI's especially the S3's. I'll try getting a vid up of the sound but I'm not sure it'll pick the sound up although it's very noticable in the car.

Exactly...I might hold off the DV. Somebody else thought this was a perfectly normal sound but its the first I've heard and I've driven many 2.0TFSI's especially the S3's. I'll try getting a vid up of the sound but I'm not sure it'll pick the sound up although it's very noticable in the car.

Gotcha, I read it as a diagnosed DV prob.

Anyhoo, your description got me thinking of 'RS's' post from the other day:

CLICKY HERE

Could be miles off, but is it anything like that?

Nope, I actually read that thread earlier. This sound is occurring when driving the car and coming off boost...

Hi All! Stumbled across this thread searching for something similar to the problem I'm having atm.

I have an Audi S3 2007

I'm hearing quite a high pitched whistling sound, usually in 5th gear doing about 35-40 mph only when ever so slightly touching the accelerator. I only bought the car 2 weeks ago and from a brief inspection it appears to have a forge dv fitted already and has had a Revo stage 1 remap.

If I change down to 4th gear the noise completely disappears, or if I accelerate a very small amount the pitch gets higher before disappearing altogether.

You can't hear the noise when the engine is idling, nor can you hear the noise when accelerating or cruising at any other speed.

Very confused! Any suggestions would be appreciated!