8P S3 magnetic ride springs

Alan Oliver

Reaction score
Just recently purchased an used S3 with the above factory option. I gather the spring is different from the std suspension one (Different part number-Undoubtedly more expensive). Reason i ask is, The nearside one has broke, This shows up on the dash as a fault and defaults to the magnetic ride setting being off. The car is going back to have this fixed. If it was replaced with the std item would this show up the fault on the dash still (I am playing devils advocate here).

Thanks

What age is your S3 out of interest..?

Didn't even know this was a option....

2009 Facelift model mate, Was the only 1 with it at the time I bought it

Give Audi a call to find out that. I'd want to be sure. Putting a spring with a different spring rate back in won't be good. Plus good mechanics replace springs in pairs.

I wouldn't mess with it. Insist on the pair being replaced with the genuine audi item.

Logic would suggest both have had a similar life (being about 3 feet apart) so the other one may go pop soon.

Yes i spoke to Audi and the Spring is different from the non magnetic ride one. I have submitted a written request politely for them to be changed as a pair but whether that actually happens is another matter where Garages are concerned. As the car came with a 3 month AA warranty i may speak to them directly if the dealer is unwilling to do that.

What is magnetic ride? I would have both springs changed as well, it's standard procedure. Warranties will only pay for the one broken spring though, you'll have to pay for t'other.

What is magnetic ride? I would have both springs changed as well, it's standard procedure. Warranties will only pay for the one broken spring though, you'll have to pay for t'other.

Optional extra suspension system where the damper is adjustable