8P Bluetooth Retrofit

CheeseGrater89

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here(!) and I've recently bought a 2007 S3, which is, obviously, great!
Annoyingly I bought it under the impression that it had the Bluetooth telephone system in place, which it didn't. I should've been more switched on, but hey, it wouldn't have stopped me buying it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have bought an OEM kit of eBay and installed it on the weekend which took about 1.5 - 2 hours. So I got to the re-coding part and all seemed to go well; the telephone function on the RNSE appears, the voice control works and the DIS displays the extra functionality. Then I came to connect to the Bluetooth itself which doesn't appear on my phone :sob:

Now, after trawling through any relevant forum I could find I haven't really got any further. I'm confident that the coding/adaptation stuff is OK and I've been poking around other menus and found 'Bluetooth Visibility Time' which is channel 137. When I try to view it I just get a message saying 'ERROR: Channel 137 Not Available'. Why would this not be available if I've enabled Bluetooth?

Another thing I've thought of is the age of the Bluetooth module I've bought. The VAG code appears to be 8P0862335C. Does this run on an older Bluetooth protocol that would stop it communicating with a modern phone (I have a Samsung S7)? Bit of a long shot..

I'm a bit stuck and I'd greatly appreciate some help..! I've attached some images, I don't think they're that useful though.

Thanks in advance,
Will

Attachments

• capture1.PNG
    capture1.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 654
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    138 KB · Views: 679
Hi and welcome.

My module part number is: 8P1 862 335 A so your must be newer. Mine worked fine with both an iPhone 4S and my 6. So I don't think it is related to the version.

When powering your car on, do you look for the BT right after?

I got my retrofit documented here if it can be of any help: http://www.lightnings.dk/bluetooth_en.html

Reactions: CheeseGrater89
Many thanks for the reply FredrikA3!

That guide would have been quite useful instead of picking bits out of different threads

So I was sat in traffic this morning and decided to scan for bluetooth networks and the module popped up! I really don't understand why because I haven't changed anything but it has been reliable ever since. I immediately made a phone call to the wife via the RNSE and it was all working fine. The phone-book and call history updated as well.

Winner!

Reactions: Sandra
Want to bump this one back up guys...

I've had to remove Bluetooth from the car because of a battery drain. I now want to install an OEM Module instead. Looking on eBay I have seen lots for sale but dubious about buying second hand ones. Also, seen a few comments on older threads about some being faulty.

Can anyone help me out in what module would be best to get please?

My HU is a Concert II I believe. Part number is 8PO O35 186 S

I just want to be able to have calls and use the MFSW controls, not bothered about streaming music etc...
I know some are basic and some have extra options so any info for me about what is needed, obviously harness, antenna and mic... Anything I'm missing? I have VCDS so I think I should be ok for coding it in and should be ok to install it too.

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

I retro-fitted OEM Bluetooth to mine last summer; my advice would be to buy the most recent module that you can find.....
Although older modules will work OK I figured there is more risk of a faulty one the older you go and also a newer module would work with the newer phones.....
Can't remember the part number of my module (I have posted about it so do a search of my posts) but it came from a 2011 vehicle and has been totally reliable.

The module I fitted was bought from eBay for £179 and had a 28 day return money back if it was faulty. Also buy using PayPal, you're better covered if things do go tits up, but you probably know that already. It also had all the parts to make it work (ie antenna, microphone, wiring loom) and was very easy to fit. As for the coding, thats also not too bad, though I couldn't get it to work straight away, I just persisted.

Post on here if you've got any problems fitting it or coding, its still pretty fresh in my mind.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Power the module from ignition then it you won't suffer drain issues

I couldn't run it from the ignition as it only had a quad lock connector for rear of radio to power it. It's been returned now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question guys...

Does the module have to be 8P0/8P1 or can I use another module from say an A6 with number 4E0 instead?

That last one is a good buy IMHO.
The microphone is only about £20 or so, a loom kit about £40.
So about £190 all-in for the latest BT module set-up, that's a good price to me!

It does say it comes complete. I've bought it now so will see what arrives with it. Any links for where to purchase mic and harness/loom should I need them?

So this is what's been delivered today. I Notice he didn't show a photo of all the cut wires. Any way I can purchase the whole loom/harness to connect everything up?
f71688549ccc478a3c26c4e91f704cb0.jpg

0d7f68b7978fdd0769725d7d15a8235d.jpg

Anyone got any ideas where to fit this module without removing seat? I fitted the loom today and it seems to work ok. I currently have the module on passenger side footwell and the cable for the mic coming out the opposite side. I connected my phone and it worked ok, caller id showing up on DIS etc. Not plugged in the mic yet as I need to decide on best place to fit it. Coded it in also but still showing a few faults which I will get around to after the install is complete.

Have a look in my old posts as I've written up my experiences of fitting Bluetooth.
Some people have managed to fit their modules behind the glovebox or behind the climate control panel.
I just couldn't get mine to fit in either of those locations and ended up fitting it behind the fascia panel where the lighting switch is i.e. to the right of the driver in a RHD car.
It's a tight squeeze in there but at least it's easy to get at should the need arise.....

Thanks Ness. Will go through it all after work tomorrow as I should be home by 1pm.

Fitted module where you said Nessy, I couldn't get it behind glove or in centre behind climate control. I've also run the mic cable under the glove, up the side and across top of screen. I will stick it the the rear view mirror with a 3M pad. Tested it out with my boss across the unit and it worked but was a little bit of breaking up in convo. Could just be signal on phone though.

I've done a fresh scan after using VCDS to try code it correctly. No faults from telephone but the radio threw up some.

a81813347c651aeb6c73bbe7fdb49056.jpg

e0e10fcae8e4c3743e820f16cd409d5a.jpg

cbc55566f22155f402da823164859272.jpg

Also, one fault on Gateway too

525e2b505f842771862a5a40e1096680.jpg

I can't help really with the fault codes but a bit puzzled why you didn't install the microphone in the interior light unit on the roof?
There's a purpose-made cutout already made in the light unit to accept the microphone and then it's simply a case of routing the wire down the near side A pillar once the trim piece has been removed?
It makes it all so neat.
I know pulling off the A pillar trim can sound a bit daunting but it isn't too bad at all.

I used a trim tool and have fed the cable up there without having to remove it. I can still fit the mic in there but wasn't sure about removing the whole unit. Does it just clip off? I seen the cut outs, was just unsure about it.

The clear lens for the interior light just clips off.
IIRC it's then a case of undoing 2 or so screws to release the interior light unit from the roof and then the microphone just clips into a rectangular recess in the light unit base.
The recess is the one that has a small grille on it to allow the sound through....
The fiddliest part was routing the wire along the top of the windscreen down to the A pillar , can't really remember exactly where it went; think it went under the headlining edge in the windscreen aperture...
Once it was all done the wiring is totally invisible.

I have it invisible now apart from the mic itself which is hanging down by the rear view mirror. All I need to do is remove that unit fully and then feed the mic into it. Will give it a look tomorrow and hopefully it will go straight it with no trouble. Thanks mate.

Fitted mic in place this morning, all looks good now apart from the the plastic section will not clip in place fully due to the wire from the mic. I will dremmel a bit off the plastic and all is done. Still need to tweak a few bits, volume of sound etc but main thing is its all done now...

Thanks very much for all help

Fitted mic in place this morning, all looks good now apart from the the plastic section will not clip in place fully due to the wire from the mic. I will dremmel a bit off the plastic and all is done. Still need to tweak a few bits, volume of sound etc but main thing is its all done now...

Thanks very much for all help
I had to use a Dremel, though there must be a way to fit it without having to go to that extreme but I could find how. Nice one on getting it sorted!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Done it this morning, only a small bit and it all clipped in and phoned a few people. It works perfect.