8P A3 Black Edition 2.0TDi Common Problems?

LeeT96

Reaction score
Looking to buy one of these in July and was looking at second hand ones which would have between 50-70K miles.

And I was wondering what the common faults I should look for and be wary of if/when I buy one?

Not sure if the black edition bit helps but just giving as much info as possible. Also, I have said the miles just because they're not exactly the lowest mileage so just wanting to know. It would be between 2010(60)-2012(12).

thanks guys :):kissmyrings:

First issue i could think about on the facelift common rail engines is the DPF that fails to regen, i personally blame this on the owner for getting a diesel and treating it like a petrol car by doing 5 mile travels and not letting it burn hot enough.

Agree with ash

Please also avoid the earlier common rail engines which have 77mm hex drive in the oil pump. They are known to fail. The revised engines have 100mm drive which seem to be doing much better

Mine is a 2009 59 plate 170 BHP with CBBB engine. It has the 77mm hex drive. I think 2010 onwards they changed to 100mm but Deffo worth checking

It isn't the end of the world if you are aware and monitor the wear on the hex drive but it certainly isn't conducive to "plug and play" motoring. Then again I don't think any Diesel engines are...

As long as you keep an eye on stuff like tha hex drive, keep the dPf empty-ish then mileage isn't an issue. The engines themselves and solid and I'm sure there are plenty approaching 200k miles that are going strong.

Dpf at these kind of miles. I had a golf with the same engine on 60k. Nothing but issues with it in limp lode due to dpf being clogged. I sold it and got a petrol 1.8t

Dpf at these kind of miles. I had a golf with the same engine on 60k. Nothing but issues with it in limp lode due to dpf being clogged. I sold it and got a petrol 1.8t
Didn't u just gut the dpf and be done with it?

Having said that from what I've read the 1.8tfsi has very nice broad power delivery?

My first one I traded in after 23k, and a gearbox replacement, then similar issues. second one on 65k, and not much to report, goes like stink when I want it to, reports 80mpg, when I slipstream and drive like miss daisy.

I like it. Nice place to be, hard ride, but to my liking, comfy seats, and Bose, just missing RNS-E in reality.

K

Didn't u just gut the dpf and be done with it?

Having said that from what I've read the 1.8tfsi has very nice broad power delivery?
Thought about it but didn't want issues later down the line with MOT emission failures.

Also needed a cam belt and a set of rear shocks so just easier to get rid.

So I got the 1.8tfsi black edition for the wife and I have a 2.0 tdi black edition on a 12 plate which the OP is after. After 30k on the diesel only thing to have gone wrong is a wheel bearing done under warranty.

1.8tfsi uses a bit of oil an currently having a new turbo fitted.

If I was buying a diesel again I would take VCDS with me and look at the ash loading on the DPF. Will give an indication on the type of driving it has been used for. Got to be an argument for buying a used high miler which has sat on motorways all day. I.e. A diesel that has been driven and not pootled around town.

And trouble free ?

yes.

previous owner did the cambelt/water pump job and also flywheel. before that if i remember correctly all the lease company had done was servicing and consumables and one wheel bearing was done by audi under warranty along with the DSG oil changes.

all i've done is regular servicing and consumables again. i do have a really horrible noise in my DSG gearbox but i guess on the upside it hasn't gone pop yet, although it will do at some point...

i reckon if i had a manual gearbox i'd be reporting nothing wrong with it at all