8L vs 8P vs 8V

b2

Reaction score
As the title states what's the main differences between the models? Positives and Negatives

I currently own an A3 1.8 TQS have had an A3 1.8t fwd and have driven an A3 8P 2.0 tdi around for a while, never driven a 8V. Would like to hear from people who have owned all three and their opinions on the differences, did they get better? Did they go backwards? Whats better/worse on the newer models etc.

I didn't really notice any difference in handling between the 8L and 8P both cars felt similar, the steering is lighter and brakes are sharper on the 8P. The A3 8L fwd definitely felt lighter than the TQS, but the TQS has better handling in the wet and its fun to powerslide.

I know the 2.0 tsfi are alot more tunable and respond alot better to the same mods we do to the 1.8t. What else am I missing out on?

I would argue that the tfsi is no more tuneable than the 1.8t.... it just has a higher baseline output so any increase is relative... the tfsi engine in the 8p's at least is not that fantastic mechanically... to get the most out of a TFSi it can get expensive...

Common issues being pistons (ring land issues), oil pumps (around 1500 for a new one) and thrust bearings (from having to have the clutch pedal in to start the engine)... oh and the infamous inlet vale soiling that TFSi's are plagued with...

That said... the later chassis is much better than the 8L... 8P's handle better, generally have a solid interior and can be decently specced (unless you retro fit into the 8L of course)

Not had any experience of the 8v but again they handle well and the engines are generally said to be better than earlier TFSi's... they tend to respond well to tuning but again the baseline is higher so all relative...

As for longevity of the engine then I don't know... not heard anything about rods personally but I would imagine its only a matter of time... that said most TFSi's tend to expire from failed oil pumps before rods go...

20v engines are old but still a solid tunable engine... just need to find one that not too worn in the head and has a body shell thats not rusting lol

Personally I'd like to have a late 8P S3 black edition and stick a VR6 turbo in it...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: b2 and danny_dj3
I own an 8l but have driven quite a few 8p's specifically a single grill 2.0 fsi's (drove one for a while when my 8l was out of commission) and a double grill 3 door 3.2 that belongs to a friend

the 8p is a definite step up handling wise (as tuffty has said) even the basic 2.0 fsi handles much better than an 8l. Maybe its just me but the FWD 2.0 Fsi handled better than the 4wd 3.2 model and it stopped better considering it has smaller brakes. the 5 door 2.o fsi 8p feels lighter and more nimble than a 3 door 8l considering that the 8p is a bigger car.

The 8p interior is also much better, it even has grab handles, apart from hand brake lever design that im not a fan of. Downgrades i have noticed on the 8p is door warning and puddle lights are not standard, the 3.2 i drove had it (but the 2.0 fsi only had reflectors). the FSI also had an aux port which the 3.2 didnt have. the FSI also only had 1 electric seat which was the driver side one which was weird (and yes that car is 100% stock)

the cruise control stalk is separate, don't know why its not integrated into the indicator stalk like the 8l. The 2.0 fsi engine is definitely more fuel efficient than the 20v 1.8 on the 8l. rear view mirror visibility to the rear is worse on the 3door 8p than on the 8l. i personally dont like the look of the rear quarter section of the 3door 8p models

the Fsi 8p i drove had a 12 v port in the boot which is nice. Dsg gearbox on the 3.2 was jerky especially when it downshifted, don't know if it was low on oil or just a natural trait to those Dsg boxes.

Reactions: b2
Wow this is a brilliant read very good thanks for the replies. Yes on reflection I agree the 8P does feel lighter and more nimble than a 8L. Can you turn ESP off on the 8P/8V like you can on the 8L?

I suppose the Haldex quattro system gets better / more reliable on the 8P/8V in comparison to the 8L? What about DSG good or crap? I hear a lot of conflicting stories, some people raving how great it is whilst others moaning about it. I read somewhere recently about Adrenaline Racings MK1 Golf that is pushing some crazy power through a standard DSG box! I find it amazing that the DSG box is performing reliably in this type of application.

8p chassis is not as light as you may think... Bill's Leon Cupra TFSi weighed in at 1430 ish kg iirc, my S3 was 1475kg... I seem to recall Bill weighing an 8p S3 he was big turbo converting and that was in the 1500's from memory..

They do however feel 'lighter' to drive and having driven Bill's Cupra which has 19" wheels it certainly feels sharper than my fairly well sorted 8L..

Haldex is still not fantastic on later cars (can't speak for 8v as not driven one) and again subject to handling mods and driving style... there are 'controllers' or upgraded haldex units available for the next gen ones too...

Reliability is again subjective... I would not say 8L gen 1 is unreliable if properly serviced but its something that gets over looked and it is also at the end of the day a 20 year old car....

DQ250 DSG boxes are a mixed bag... mechatronic units are not the best and of course not cheap... DQ500 is a better box in the later cars but again subject to regular oil changes etc...

DSG can be a little clunky in traffic but also can be epic or at least feel epic when on it... not driven too many and tbh never really got on with them... I prefer manual but I see the appeal...

You can put quite a bit of power through the DSG boxes... but what these people don't tell you is how many they actually go through especially in competitive drag racing...

They are reliable enough for the amount of time they need to be which in most cases is 10 seconds or less.... putting that much power through one on a circuit event would be a different matter

<tuffty/>

Reactions: b2
they're not tho.
they are more expensive to modify tho

2.0 tfsi are like 15 years old and 1.8t are 23 years old, when the tfsi is as old im sure they will be as cheap to modify too.

I doubt it.... mod prices don't change much... and assuming the TFSi engine makes it that far without an oil pump change...

Personally I don't think the 8P Audi's have much character compared to an 8L... really depends what you want from the car I guess...

<tuffty/>

8L will go up in value before 8P and 8V.... my two pence worth haha.

you get either of them and you’ll spend money on them.

I’m biased but 8L all the way, yes they are getting on a bit and parts are needing to be changed, but from what I’ve seen... cheaper than other models.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and Asim1
8L has always looked better IMHO - I still think silver looks the better colour , but I bought another black one. I remember test driving the 8P when it came out and getting very excited at the prospect . Perhaps I set my expectations too high - felt disappointed and so bought another 8L instead.

Often its not about which one is better but more about the time and the feeling and the memories you make when owning them

So many great memories in my 8L's

Reactions: danny_dj3 and Asim1
8L has always looked better IMHO - I still think silver looks the better colour , but I bought another black one. I remember test driving the 8P when it came out and getting very excited at the prospect . Perhaps I set my expectations too high - felt disappointed and so bought another 8L instead.

Often its not about which one is better but more about the time and the feeling and the memories you make when owning them

So many great memories in my 8L's
Exactly you cant beat the feeling of good memories..but sometimes I think I let it cloud my judgement a bit too much I only bought my s3 because my younger brother had a 1.8t back in the day and I remember just instantly loving the car. Years later to my s3 and haven't spent near as much as some of you have. But have still spent a lot to get it to where it is. And still need to spend alot

my original plan was to grab an 8l, take it off the road and then grab a 8p for shits n giggles whilst i rebuilt the 8l to what i wanted.

i dont currently have a 8p as i totally feel no need to get one, i'll be more than happy when my 8l is back on the road.

personally I think the 8l is by far the most iconic and most appreciated of the lot.

The 8l is just a timeless design, considering its a car that came out in 1996, yes the lights on pfl models does make it look abit dated and i never really liked the design of the front bumpers even the s3 ones, they got all the other proportions spot on, The 3 door 8p the rear just looks a bit off to me. alot of people dont believe me when i tell them my 8l is over 20 years old, even the interiors of a lot of new cars feels alot cheaper made than that of the 8l

Reactions: spiker and S3AMJ