8L S3 to B6 1.8T Sport Avant....

jimbo_123

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just as a quick intro, I currently own a facelift 8L S3 and will need to sell my pride and joy in the coming months to buy a 5 door due my expanding family! (baby due in a few months)

Anyway I digress...

I have narrowed my search down to the B6 Avant 1.8T sport (quattro preferred but 2WD is fine) latest years poss (53 to 54 plate)

After searching the forum I cannot seem to find a buyers guide for either? My main question is are there any major flaws with these? Do they suffer from the same irritating issues as the 8L A3 such as rusting roof rails, breaking clutch pedals... list goes on...

I am choosing 1.8T as I know its pretty much solid if not abused and serviced correctly and mileage we will be doing doesnt really justify the diesel.

Any help or advise would be great!

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
215k miles on mine now and counting, 2002 model, 1.8T quattro, mines not serviced correctly but is not abused, still get 40mpg on a nice run just make sure you get the 6 speed gear box and you are good to go, also get quattro if you can, it's more fun and worth the extra :)

The A3 is just a posh Golf, the A4 is much nicer, the interior is better made, the seats are good and it's quiet and pleasent to drive.

Cheers for the repsonse mate!

Are there any known issues regarding breaking clutch pedals and corrosion problems on the roof rails??

Roof bars are fine to the best of my knowledge, and the only clutch pedal issue I have ever heard of is very occasional clutch switch failure (I think).

I went front a REVO'd 8L S3 to a 1.9TDi Quattro Sport 130.. The initial switchover saddened me.. IE, 260 odd bhp down to 130... BUT, practicality and all that.

Right now, it ticks all my boxes. Its a great looking car, gives a lovely drive as others have said, isn't costing me anything other than deisel (and still pushing 50mpg) and IMO, is the best looking estate on the road! :)

No signs of corrosion on the roofrails.. my S3 did; it went back to Audi for the 12-year corrosion warranty.

Cheers Jimmeh!

Must admit I really do like the Avant sport agree with your comment about it being one of the best looking estates on the road, also has the practical benefits for the new arrival in a few months.

I remember seeing your Hibiscous red S3.. lovely colour :)

Unlike your old car mine is totally standard.. I will be looking to sell in the coming weeks... so if anyone is interested in an excellent facelift example keep an eye out in the classifieds in the coming weeks :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Control arms can be an issue and the dreaded sludge problems that all 1.8T's need to live with.

Brake switch can be a problem but the new switches tend to be fine once replaced, coil packs can be an issue but I would imagine you have been down this road.

Trim button coating can peal.