8L S3 Misfire and general rough running

s3ajy

Reaction score
Evening folks,

Over the last couple of days my 8L s3 has been getting more and more poorly.

Ran code reader on it last night and came up with 3 codes,

They relate to "random misfire", " Cly 2 & 4 Misfire"

So from that im going to and investigate failing coilpacks.

There is more.....What are the symptoms of a failing D.V? another issue which is the most concerning is "sometimes" on start up its smokey....Blue/white smoke. OIL!! Car is running no where near what it should be and before anyone mentions as soon as I had these problems I parked the car up and used the work horse as transport.

I know this has been probably been covered over and over again but could all these be related? Hoping the answer is yes!

Thanks again

Andy

Symptoms of a failing DV are chattering upon let go of the throttle. More audible with open induction - to test remove air box lid and filter (assuming your car has standard induction) and start up. Best done on a warm engine as requires revving up and 'dumping' of throttle. Our cars should make a whoosh sound or psshhhhh. Not the fluttering sound of a faulty DV.

However, coil packs are probably the source of your lumpy running engine and fault codes.

Let us know how you get on!

thanks for all the replies....that was my thought aswell, but was thrown when I was getting the occasionally smokey startup.

Will be replacing all the coil packs in the next couple days so will report back.

with regards to the DV....I do have an open cone filter, but thinking it wont hurt to go and buy the forge refurb kit for it just for piece of mind.

Will be in touch folks!

Quick update for you guys!

replaced all the coil packs today, cleared the codes and they stayed off, so that issue was sorted....or so I thought!

let it get up to temp, no misfiring on idle....Took it out for a test drive and on full load it is still "misfiring" hesitant on acceleration.

Also....the smokey startup sometime has now developed, I was getting pops and bangs from the exhaust complete with loads of blue/black smoke. The turbo doesn't feel like its getting up to speed. The car runs fine when off boost and pottering around, but as soon as you give it some the car hesitates, pops...smokes.

So due to the above finding and the fact I have blue smoke would I be right in saying my turbo has had it?

If you guys think yes......where is the best place to look for a refurb/new/used unit...plus hours needed put aside to swap out?

Im going a compression test in the next couple days to rule out (hopefully) the piston rings, and potential head gasket failure.

These symtoms have come on very sudden and I haven't driven the car since the symtoms started (apart from the test drive today)

Thought folks? any input or help is highly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

...Also probably worth noting, there was a fair amount of oil drops that came out of the hoses I removed going into the charge pipe (turbo side) I removed them for ease of getting the coil packs out....also oil was noted on the diverter valve...both ends.