8k budget, want an a3 sline

Stuart81

Reaction score
Hi all just been looking through the forum but im not finding the answers i want.
Basically i have an 8k budget and want an a3 sline, seen a few on autotrader within my budget and lowish mileage (40k-60k) and 07 regs and some have full audi history.
At the moment i own a 54 plate RS megane 225 which is sitting outside my house refusing to work! so i want something simular in power but obviously better build quality ( 4 years owning a megane 225 was a stupid mistake!) so im looking at the 2.0t a3s
Im use to hard suspension so not worried bout that but im intrested in the dsg/s tronic box but weary if its hassle free or not in term of reliability (my megane has put me in a state of paranoia) or are the manuals a safer option also i have seen a few quattros aswell and wondering if its worth getting quattro or not and is it reliable or should it be avoided if im looking for something more trouble free
I have never owned an audi and i dont know anyone who has so could do with some experienced advise
All advice will be appreciated, whst to look for and what nots ect....
Thank you

Dsg is nice - DSG oil change every 40k miles or less and its good to live with at most times!

Go for Quattro. 2WD is fun too.

For 8k you should get a decent
2006-2008 2.0T Sportback. Stuff like Bi-xenons/light pack/RNSE/ folding mirrors, etc is a must for that money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks.
I keep reading mixed reviews about the DSG boxes and have read a few horro stories that intale very expensive repair bills, my megane has cost me a fair bit throughout owning it, spent about £2300 on it last year, i havent seen anything related to the audi manual boxes having and issues so im leaning to manual as i guess a DSG would be a added risk that isnt needed.

Do you know if the quattro set up has any common problems?
Or if it is relatively easily fixable without major expense?
Or should i just play it even safer and get a civic type r lol

Yeah but then again you'd have to fork out a lot for a clutch if you go for more power?
As long as the haldex system has been serviced, etc, it shouldn't cause problems, my car isn't Quattro so I'm not the guy for the 4wd stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a manual as was initially weary of the DSG like yourself. However, having read a lot more about it and about what it does and how it works, it looks to be a very nice box and no less reliable than a manual. Expensive to fix if it does go wrong, but doesn't go wrong any more than a manual. It's a bit like flying, if a plane crashes you're extremely likely to die, but they don't crash often and most of us accept the risk :blink:

Quattro is worth it I'd say. If you're not ragging it to the limit it will cope with pretty much anything, especially coupled with ESP. On a safety/drivability angle, I did get stuff in a jam on the A303 a little while back and was diverted onto the back lanes. With cars coming the other way we were forced semi off the road - two wheels on the road, other two on sludgy mashed up mud, and it just carried on through with no issues whatsoever, you wouldn't even have noticed the vastly different surfaces on either side. Various other cars were slipping and sliding around all over the place too, was almost entertaining if there wasn't a risk of them sliding into me!

In both cases, so long as the system is, and has been, serviced regularly/as per schedules then you shouldn't have any problems :sunglasses:

Similar to what I was looking for last year.

I found an 06 2.0tfsi BWA A3 special edition, Came with a nice spec, was very very well looked after.

I swerved Quattro and DSG, DSG because I just didn't want it, and Quattro as it's and extra expense that isn't really required, I'm not dissing Quattro whatsoever, But for what I wanted the car for I'd never need it, and I heard they are a little un-nerving when Quattro kicks in mid-corner.

You should pick up a cracking example with that budget.

Happy hunting.

Come stick 8k in my hand and you can drive mine away! Lol

Reactions: SaroshM
Stick with the RS Megane, they are quicker than anything of similar size and power. You might find an A3/S3 a bit numb after the Megane but having said that the A3/S3 are a fine road car and very refined/well built.

Was lucky enough to find an 08 sline for just under 7k with just over 60k. I reckon 8k will buy any 05-08 sline, but you'll struggle to find one with spec and low miles - so might have to be patient.

I was quite particular and wanted stronic/autolights/ heated leather etc but if you're not too fussy there's a pool to choose from.

Mines 1.8t too which you don't find many of.

Stick with the RS Megane, they are quicker than anything of similar size and power. You might find an A3/S3 a bit numb after the Megane but having said that the A3/S3 are a fine road car and very refined/well built.

Fair point, But I got rid of an Astra VXR with 300bhp to buy my 2.0t S-line, I like the Audi far better, and yes it's not as quick, but its a far nicer drive, which I imagine it will be nicer to drive than the Megane too.

and I heard they are a little un-nerving when Quattro kicks in mid-corner.

Hey.

WHo told you that?

I have a 2011 A3 Quattro 170 TDI sline thats mapped to 207bhp. Quattro is permanent so its always running. It doesn't kick in mid corner.

It just grips like hell. I love it and have to say having had a 330bhp Scooby STI this little run around can handle well. I live out in the sticks up in Weardale so have some great twisty roads and decent amount of snow. Its great driving up hills past people in FWD or RWD car's stuck :)

Hey.

WHo told you that?

I have a 2011 A3 Quattro 170 TDI sline thats mapped to 207bhp. Quattro is permanent so its always running. It doesn't kick in mid corner.

It just grips like hell. I love it and have to say having had a 330bhp Scooby STI this little run around can handle well. I live out in the sticks up in Weardale so have some great twisty roads and decent amount of snow. Its great driving up hills past people in FWD or RWD car's stuck :)

Quattro is not permanent on A3's and S3's, that's what the haldex unit controls, only the larger Audis such as A4/S4/Rs4 with Torsen are permanent 4wd.
If the Haldex is working correctly it will engage 4wd. whenever there is wheel slippage going on at the front and not violently.

Reactions: sliced