70 plate A3 35 tfsi Oil level lamp after 5000 miles...

Mikey H

Reaction score
Hi folks new to the forum... I have an A3 35 TFSI 70 plate it's not even a year old and just hit 5000 miles. My check oil level light came on, puzzled with low mileage, but checked oil anyway and its right in the middle on the dip stick. MMI says next oil change is in 3700 miles? Is this a known fault??

Cheers. MIKE

Attachments

• 20210717_091732.jpg
    20210717_091732.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 269
Maybe best to top up with some oil to get the dip stick towards the max level and maybe the notice will disappear?

Reactions: Garrett 69 and Mikey H
Maybe best to top up with some oil to get the dip stick towards the max level and maybe the notice will disappear?
Yeh that's what I thought, topped it up a little maybe 1/3 of a litre until it was just under the max. The light stayed on initially but after a mile or so at traffic lights when the start stop tech kicked in, the warning light simply switched off? Problem resolved for now but I'll keep an eye on it. Many thanks for the response!!

How did you know which oil type to put to match what's in there alreayd? Dealer told you, or it's mentioned somewhere?

How did you know which oil type to put to match what's in there alreayd? Dealer told you, or it's mentioned somewhere?
So.... bit of a debate there, Halford says (according to their charts) Mobil 1 (0W20) however... Audi says..."Castrol EDGE Professional engine oil is the top motor oil recommendation from the professionals at Audi. " so that's what went in.

My previous 3 cars had the sticker of Castrol Edge recommended on it and was told that's what was put in from the factory. At the service had Shell, Texaxo and Castrol oils changed to respectively

My previous 3 cars had the sticker of Castrol Edge recommended on it and was told that's what was put in from the factory. At the service had Shell, Texaxo and Castrol oils changed to respectively
Yeh, I reckon as long as its the correct viscosity for, 1. Typical outside temp. 2. Driving habits. 3. Engine model/year. It should be OK. But I'm no expert...

As long it’s 507.xx or 508.XX certified oil you can use any brand. Your handbook will say which one to use.
As for oil consumption, my neighbour has had both the 1.4 and the 1.5 and he says he goes through over a litre between services. They are pretty highly strung engines so using a bit of oil is quite normal

Reactions: Mikey H
That's reassuring thanks for the info!
Just check it every so often rather than rely on the light in the dash. Sometimes that can come on a bit too late and damage will be done.
audi won’t cover under warranty if you forgot to top up the oil.

Reactions: Mikey H
Just check it every so often rather than rely on the light in the dash. Sometimes that can come on a bit too late and damage will be done.
audi won’t cover under warranty if you forgot to top up the oil.
Thank you kindly, I'll keep an eye on it

At least VAG engines has dipsticks, my previous car Volvo V40, no dipstick, had to look via the dash, and it was always at the max level! And I could never tell if the oil needs changing from its colour!

At least VAG engines has dipsticks, my previous car Volvo V40, no dipstick, had to look via the dash, and it was always at the max level! And I could never tell if the oil needs changing from its colour!
Seriously? That's madness!

Seriously? That's madness!
Yea, like where's Wally, where's the dipstick? Was I losing my mind or was I the dipstick. Looked for like 10 mins, and gave up, and asked the dealer...
20181221 154504

Not all of them. My last 3 audis didn’t have a dipstick and relied on the MMI.

Not all of them. My last 3 audis didn’t have a dipstick and relied on the MMI.
I remember during my driving test we were tested on how to check oil level among other things, these days it's Sat Nav test, probably going via the automatic only route, and how to check oil? Ask the car's computer! Were your previous Audis of the A4 and higher models?

I remember during my driving test we were tested on how to check oil level among other things, these days it's Sat Nav test, probably going via the automatic only route, and how to check oil? Ask the car's computer! Were your previous Audis of the A4 and higher models?
A6’s

After this thread, I just checked my oil level @4200 miles and it's just a tad more than half on the dipstick.

I have a 1k mile drive coming up in next week. So don't want the warning to pop up during that.

Should I top it up now or wait till the min level warning comes up?

After this thread, I just checked my oil level @4200 miles and it's just a tad more than half on the dipstick.

I have a 1k mile drive coming up in next week. So don't want the warning to pop up during that.

Should I top it up now or wait till the min level warning comes up?
Top it up now. Never wait till light, that’s always the message.

Reactions: DreamInCode
I’ve always understood that rule to apply to the low oil pressure light (red warning) rather than the low oil level light (amber warning)?
Never wait until the Red Light comes on - That's turn it off now - Yellow warning means top it up
Hi folks new to the forum... I have an A3 35 TFSI 70 plate it's not even a year old and just hit 5000 miles. My check oil level light came on, puzzled with low mileage, but checked oil anyway and its right in the middle on the dip stick. MMI says next oil change is in 3700 miles? Is this a known fault??

Cheers. MIKE
0.5 litre per 1000KM according to the manual depending on how you drive and conditions - Higher usage in the first 5000km so you're probably about right for a small top up - I believe you've done this now as well

Never wait until the Red Light comes on - That's turn it off now - Yellow warning means top it up

I just checked the manual. The yellow light means check the level using the dipstick (around p269).

I agree that you should check the oil level regularly rather than relying on the light, but isn’t the dipstick the ultimate guide as to whether or not more oil is needed? (And the 50% mark suggests that there was plenty of oil left.)

Is the amber oil warning light that over-sensitive for all A3’s? It seems rather less than useful if it lights up well before you really need to top up the oil.

I just checked the manual. The yellow light means check the level using the dipstick (around p269).

I agree that you should check the oil level regularly rather than relying on the light, but isn’t the dipstick the ultimate guide as to whether or not more oil is needed? (And the 50% mark suggests that there was plenty of oil left.)

Is the amber oil warning light that over-sensitive for all A3’s? It seems rather less than useful if it lights up well before you really need to top up the oil.
The dipstick is the best way but as I understood it (especially with the electronic ones) when the check light/Minimum whatever you want to call it come on - It usually means top it up with up to 1 litre/back to the correct level - I suppose it's protecting the engine rather than people waiting until it hits the minimum mark and still ploughing on for a while.

You have to remember that people don't often check these things these days ( I do and I would expect most if not all of us on here) - My mate is a Mastertech and you'll be amazed what he tells me when people turn up at the workshop - At their old premises the workshop entrance was as you drove into the car park and the automatic door used to go up, so people would drive into the middle of the workshop, get out lock up and then walk out and then through the front door to the service desk!!

It’s lights up to tell you to top it up cause depending how you drive the oil pick up might struggle to pick up the oil when it’s under a certain level. When you corner hard the oil in the sump will be towards one side and when you accelerate/brake hard the oil is at the front or back. Modern baffled sumps eliminates some of this but not all.

No they don't, as confirmed by others. The 2.0lTFSI as fitted to the B9 A4, and other models, has no dipstick so since 2015. Just the tube that it should be in..

No they don't, as confirmed by others. The 2.0lTFSI as fitted to the B9 A4, and other models, has no dipstick so since 2015. Just the tube that it should be in..

lower end audis have dipstick. Anything a4 upwards has electronic dipstick in your MMI.
You can buy a universal dipstick or vag dipstick for these cars and calibrate it using Elsa.

Never had the budget to get one of the higher end Audis. Thus far 2.0TDI, and 1.0TSI had dipsticks, V40's 1.5T had none.

Never had the budget to get one of the higher end Audis. Thus far 2.0TDI, and 1.0TSI had dipsticks, V40's 1.5T had none.

think the annoying thing is the same engine used in a a3 will be used in the a4/5/6 but the 4/5/6 won’t have the dipstick. I’m a bit old school and want that dipstick.

Reactions: JohnM100
Was cheaper than an a3 saloo at the time, larger discount and more options. Certainly has a better interior than the current disgraceful attempt.
I no longer have the a4 though...

Hey folks back again... I'm writing on the end of this thread so I have a kind of diary... so that's my 70 plate A3 Sportback Sport at 8000 miles. Having owned it for a year now, it's been recalled for leaking plenum Chambers on the windows and bulkhead seal. The Bridgestones only lasted 6000 miles (I'm riddled with arthritis in my hips and spine so no hard cornering etc) the drivers seat back reclined on its own, I had the above mentioned oil lamp light on and now the gearbox is crunching going from 2nd to 3rd.... honestly if it wasn't for the heated seats I had added for the afore mentioned arthritis, id be handing it back.... I've never after a year of owning a brand new car started looking for another one. I no longer enjoy driving it.

Any idea on the crunching?