65k too many miles on an S5 s-tronic?

Radford212

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've spotted a lovely looking S5 for sale. The price is very good for the car IMO. I know the saying 'if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is' but it's peaked my interest and so I'm more than likely going to take a look.

As the the title says, it has 65k on the clock and has the S-tronic gearbox. Does this seem like to high a mileage for a 12 plate car and are there any major issues regarding the gear box? I know if they go wrong they're astronomically expensive to repair.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Radford212

On one hand, these are likely motorway miles so very little stress overall. On the other hand, buying any car at 65k miles is a lottery.

Reactions: JulianW
PS. I do 12k miles a year. 5 x 12k = 60k miles. I'm a little over average, but not that much....

It's got a full Audi service history which would make me feel a little better about it if I did decide to buy it..

A 65k mile car is still a 65k car. Personally, I'd prefer a FSH from an independent that is trusted TBH... Perhaps I've just had bad experiences with main dealers (Merc. in my case)

Arad's right - buying secondhand IS a lottery. My old man used to say that buying used was buying other people's problems (and then promptly went out and bought a 1956 Mark V Jag... go figure). That said, if the car has been properly maintained and regularly serviced, which is where that full service history (and, preferably, a full Audi service history) comes in, you ought to be okay. Even so, let "eyes wide open" be your guiding mantra. If something doesn't look right, walk away.
At 65k miles, you'll want to get the gearbox fluid replaced. Audi swears, hand on heart, that the S-tronic is sealed for life and doesn't need to be flushed and refilled. However, anecdotal evidence leans strongly the other way, and 60k - 65k is when that job ought to be done.

Arad's right - buying secondhand IS a lottery. My old man used to say that buying used was buying other people's problems (and then promptly went out and bought a 1956 Mark V Jag... go figure). That said, if the car has been properly maintained and regularly serviced, which is where that full service history (and, preferably, a full Audi service history) comes in, you ought to be okay. Even so, let "eyes wide open" be your guiding mantra. If something doesn't look right, walk away.
At 65k miles, you'll want to get the gearbox fluid replaced. Audi swears, hand on heart, that the S-tronic is sealed for life and doesn't need to be flushed and refilled. However, anecdotal evidence leans strongly the other way, and 60k - 65k is when that job ought to be done.

I believe you might be referring to the Tiptronic gearbox my good friend JW.
Audi recommend that the S-Tronic oil and filter be changed every 40k miles. They will be unlikely to give you any goodwill towards a gearbox problem if it's missing this gearbox service at 40k mile intervals.

Doh! Yes, correct. So many gearboxes...
Which makes it even more important to establish if that oil and filter change has been done.

Reactions: DrEskimo
@Radford212 - whilst I'm less critical of the mileage, the "jury is out" on the reliability of the DL501 gearbox on a 2012 car. There have been enough reports of problems on the first version fitted to 2009 and 2010 cars to know that it was problematic. However Audi modified the DL501 twice and it is difficult to know exactly when each went into production. I think it is likely that the car you are interested in has the second version, and since a third version exists it means that at least one potential problem that Audi fixed in the third version is present in that car's gearbox.

However having stated that, there are plenty of owners of B8 cars of every age who have not reported having had gearbox problems. It is a matter of accepting risk. If you do go ahead then I advise you to see PROOF that the gearbox was serviced according to schedule. If it were me then I would want to see the invoice showing the parts and labour for it.

The car was first registered in 2012 and has full Audi service history. Also I'm inclined to believe that it is a B8.5. Having an auto currently in my B8 A4 and knowing that people have experienced issues with their auto gear boxes, that would be the 1st thing I would ask about. I've just got to weigh up options and see if I can justify a new car so soon after getting my A4.

I've been in the same boat as you and just put a deposit down on an S5 that hasn't had the S-Tronic service done at 52k. If everything else on the car checks out then all you can do is have a test drive and make sure the gearbox behaves as it should in different scenarios. I'll be getting mine serviced as soon as I pick it up though.

Well unfortunately for me, the car has been sold. Was waiting for the weekend to go and look at it. Guess this one just wasn't meant to be. Thanks for the help though, will keep it in mind if another one comes up.

Radford212