65535 Internal Control Module Memory Error - Intermittent

danderton

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 210 Audi S3. The Airbag light was on in the dash so plugged it in to get a fault.

Engine returned no faults but running the airbag test returned 65535 Internal Control Module Memory Error - Intermittent

I'am assumming these two are related - Can anyone provide more details as to whats up and how i go about fixing it?

Any information would be great!

Cheers

Dan

Common fault on vag cars made between 2000-2001 with a particular part number ending in Q if I remember correctly ! Vag com even had a disclaimer at some point, they throw that fault if you scan them and cannot be cleared with normal tools...

Car is not remapped. This light was on before I used vagcom.

Ive read it could be the airbag ecu. Is this correct?

Anything else I can try first?

forgot to mention it can't be cleared - just comes straight back.

Yep its your airbag ecu. They are £400 plus from Audi or about £150 second hand. Make sure you use the exact same part number.

The airbag ECU stores codes that can't be cleared, mine was from the lateral acceleration sensor that as also ********. Expensive job!

Reactions: danderton
Yep its your airbag ecu. They are £400 plus from Audi or about £150 second hand. Make sure you use the exact same part number.

The airbag ECU stores codes that can't be cleared, mine was from the lateral acceleration sensor that as also ********. Expensive job!

Thanks as I thought. I have found them on eBay for about £60. Is there a way to get the part number without ripping my dashboard apart? Was it a plug and play fix or did you do something else?

how did you know the lateral accelerator had gone? Is there a way to tell myself what else is wrong?

cheers guys

Thanks as I thought. I have found them on eBay for about £60. Is there a way to get the part number without ripping my dashboard apart? Was it a plug and play fix or did you do something else?

how did you know the lateral accelerator had gone? Is there a way to tell myself what else is wrong?

cheers guys

The code came up for the lateral sensor too.

You need to code the airbag sensor in with vagcom. There are loads of guides online to do it. I had the problem with my TT and had to disassemble the centre console and lower dash to just get at the ecu. Remember to disconnect your ECU or BANG! faceful of airbag lol.

Always ask the seller if the car has been bumped if you buy second hand because once there is a code on it, for example if an airbag has deployed, you can't clear it.

There are services online that say they can reset them, so you could have a look at that option too mate.

Thanks for that. Ill get that sorted over the Christmas break.

Disconnect the ecu / battery and copy a number from vagcom from what I have read.

Ill update when successful. Thanks again

Yeah, basically you have to ensure that the serial number of your old one is the same as the new one and you do it on VAGCOM. It only takes 5 minutes. If you were closer I would have done it for you. Anyone with VAGCOM and common sense can do it lol.

That's cool. Where is it located on the 8L S3? Is it under the center console?

To be honest I dont know. I did mine on my TT. It was under the centre console and right at the back near the bulkhead. Tricky to get to.