6 digit Postcode on RNS-E hack?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
Can the RNS-E MKII be hacked to allow a proper postcode search?

I love the unit but the postcode search is next to useless to be honest - especially if you dont know the street address too.

Cheer :)

I agree it's a PITA, but in reality how often do you know the postcose and not the address ?? I can't think of one example for myself, but not saying it doesn't happen.

If it does then just use the postoffice.co.uk website to find the address from the postcode is the best solution I suppose. I'm sure you've got a smartphone, haven't you :whistle2:

Sometimes its not knowing the 'town' to start with is the PITA.

I was travelling to a place called 'Penn' in Bucks a few weeks ago. The MMI Sat Nav didn't give me the road name as it wasn't recognised.
I knew the place was near High Wycombe, so I searched under that as the town and the correct street was found.

Wouldn't have been a problem if post code search was possible...

there's no excuse as far as I am concerned.

It's a joke that a £40 tomtom iphone app can do it, but a £2000 option on the car can't.

Only the A8 has 7 digit searching.

Mercedes managed to catch up about 3 years ago. if you try the tech in a jap car it will frighten you how good it is, and yet you don't have to pay extra for it.

It's a joke to have to pay for iphone control and bluetooth on top of a sat nav unit. I like german cars but on some things, they are ridiculous.

TomTom all the way! traffic updates, speed cameras, custom POIs, and full postcode searches... not to mention google search integrated!

I agree it's a PITA, but in reality how often do you know the postcose and not the address ?? I can't think of one example for myself, but not saying it doesn't happen.

If it does then just use the postoffice.co.uk website to find the address from the postcode is the best solution I suppose. I'm sure you've got a smartphone, haven't you :whistle2:

It has caught me out loads of times. One example recently, an off-site car park or Liverpool Airport. The address was just an industrial estate with a Unit row name and a postcode - obviously the sat nav couldn't find it due to no street name so ended up trying to search for the nearest place and finding it manually from there using Google maps on my iPhone.

There are ways round it, but when I have a RNS-E MKII unit and have to resort to my phone or even consider buying a cheap TomTom, something aint right :)

Industrial estates are a nightmare without 7 digit.

A guy with a TT has a Google Maps hack on his RNSE, but I've never found out how he's done it.

A guy with a TT has a Google Maps hack on his RNSE, but I've never found out how he's done it.

That would be quality if it had Google Maps built in

You sure he wasn't just putting phone through the TV input? Seen that done before.

I think the part of the problem is the maps may not be 7 digit.

is it possible he changed the colour scheme to match google maps? i downloaded a custom google colour scheme for my tomtom as i found it easier as a reference point as im always looking on gmaps before setting off.